Cable Release Drives me Nuts.

TexPhoto

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 15, 2011
San Juan, PR
I shoot a 5D IV and 7D II right now, but have owned 10 or so other canon bodies. I have a Canon RS-80N3 cable release. When the cable release is plugged into either body, many of the cameras buttons go dead. The play button for example. Take a 30 second exposure, let me see if it looks right, press play, press, press,press! Damn it! Disconnect, view plug it back in, expose press play damn it!
Why? I don't use the cable release very often, maybe once every 2-3 months, so I forget. I don't see any positive aspect to this.

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I had a similar issue with a Knock off cable release I bought on flickbay. Thrown that one away and replaced with a reputable brand and it seems to be fine.

Reactions: YuengLinger
Mar 25, 2018
Are you sure that you don't have the release button locked down on the RS-80N3 by accident? That is normally used for bulb mode.

stevelee

FT-QL
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Are you sure that you don't have the release button locked down on the RS-80N3 by accident? That is normally used for bulb mode.
I have had similar results when I accidentally locked it when shooting a lunar eclipse. I couldn’t figure out the problem until I came back inside and could see the release.

Joules

EOS RP
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
are you sure you're waiting long enough for the image to be processed? a 30sec exposeure also takes ~20sec to process...
What? If you have long exposure noise compensation enabled, maybe it takes twice as long as the shutter speed to get done taking a picture (because you're actually taking 2 images). But processing speed does not depend on exposure time in my 600D or 80D. Why would it?