Camera? Card? Solar Flare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markIVantony

Has anyone ran into this hiccup with their 1D Mark IV? I was shooting a basketball game today, and this happened to only one out of 890 photos (~photo 390). It's also never happened in the history of my camera or card.

I'm wondering if it was a hiccup in the camera itself, or perhaps the CF card (Transcend 400x 64 GB). I have no way of knowing unless it happens again with a different CF card, or unless someone else has experience. Obviously my concern is forthcoming equipment failure, but if it was a random "solar flare" initiated event, I won't worry.

Attachments

• F12C9551.jpg
    F12C9551.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 602
My 7D did something somewhat similar... But it looked more like some one sprinkled rock salt on the pict, big and specific noise allover the pict. I found that the batteries had been run down to the very end. I had left them in my camera for awhile so they were weak to begin with, and then I finished them off with a bunch of quick shutter speed bursts.
So could it have been batteries? Just a thought :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
If you get a few corrupted memory locations on a card, one image might be affected. It won't happen again until your camera writes to the same memory location.

Do a erase and then total reformat on your computer. Reformatting in the camera does not detect the bad memory block, but a complete erase writing all zeros to every location on the card will detect bad blocks and mark them as bad so they are mapped out.

I use Image Rescue 4 to erase a card. It takes a while, since you are writing to every memory location, and verifying it. Then do a complete format.

Of course, if your memory card is dying, then more bad memory blocks will develop in the future, and you will need to replace it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.