Camera Help 7dii 5d3 or 6d

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help with making a educated decision on my next camera. I currently have a canon T2i and use it for taking pictures of my daughters all star cheerleading team. These events are inside and the action is fast in usually dark arenas. I recently bought L 70-200 2.8 IS II. This lens takes outstanding pics on my beginner camera. I am looking no to upgrading camera and have been waiting on the 7dii. Should I wait or on this camera to maybe released some day or look into another camera.

I haven't shot indoor sports myself, but it seems to me that low light performance (and particularly the ability to stop the motion of spinning cheerleaders) would seriously trump reach for your situation. If you can swing a 5D3, you'd get a serious step up in terms of AF, low light performance, and burst rate compared to your T2i. Compared to a 7D or (hypothetical) 7D2 you'd be sacrificing a bit of burst speed, but I'd much rather have a few fewer shots per second and have each shot be cleaner.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Get the 5DIII, if it's within your budget. You'll gain two more stops of usable ISO over the T2i and 7D, better AF than the 7D, and a faster frame rate than your current camera. IMO, the only current camera that would be better for your needs is the 1D X. A 7DII may come out, but barring some sort of electronic miracle, the high ISO performance of a FF sensor is still going to trump APS-C.

I was shooting boxing over the weekend, poor lighting, fast action (the hands, at least). I needed 1/800 s to have a chance of stopping action, shooting the 70-200/2.8L IS II in the f/2.8 to f/4 range (depending on distance and subject placement, f/2.8 can be too thin). My ISO settings ranged from ISO 3200 (not a single shot lower than that) to ISO 12800.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I decided to buy a new canon 24-70 2.8 ii to go with the canon 70 - 200 2.8 is ii while still waiting on weather or not to buy a canon 5d iii of wait for the 7d ii to be released. I would really like to have a new camera for the new cheer season that starts in December. Any advise on a camera body would be much appreciated. Keep in mind I take pictures of soccer, family portraits and indoor all-star cheerleading which is indoor fast action and with varying lighting conditions.

Upvote 0
I own the 6D and 5D3... there is no comparison when it comes to AF performance; the 5D3 stays in my hands 95% of the time I'm shooting anything that's moving. So far I have about 6k shutter actuaions on my 6D and I'm growing more and more frustrated with its inability to focus using any focus point outside of the center. If you can get a 5D3, this is the ideal camera for what you described... well I take that back, the 1DX is ideal!

If the venue is bright enough to stay under ISO 1600, the 7D/7D2 might be an ok option; however, I'm not sure how much better the 7D2 will be compared to the original in terms of low light performance... we can bet on it not being as good as the 5D3 or even the 6D. IMO shooting 8fps or higher means nothing if your shutter is limited to a sluggish speed due to your ISO limitations.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.