Camera insurance

Nov 12, 2016
I've seen a lot of things online that the insurance that comes with PPA is pretty awful (tends to pay out a tiny fraction of what things should be worth due to supposed depreciation.)

Some people have said that State Farm is good, but I've been having a very difficult time getting a policy nailed down with them. Most of the agents I call will not write a policy for personal property only without also including home/car insurance. I specifically don't want this because I don't want to worry about something happening to my camera stuff and then having the same company use this as an excuse to raise my premiums on my other policies.

The one State Farm agent I found that seems to be willing to make a policy for just camera equipment says I need to get the more valuable items appraised, but they're being really cagey about what exactly counts as a valid appraisal and who should do that. (I think they are just making things up as they go along.)

Why is it so damn hard to find decent insurance for camera equipment? Who should I go to for this?

Jul 21, 2010
You appear to be selling prints. If that's the case, you should avoid the personal articles / scheduled coverage policies that are usually associated with or riders on your home/renters insurance. In general, those policies exclude commercial use of the gear, and if you file a claim and they discover you've sold any images, they'll simply deny your claim.

If you're going to make money from photography, and want to insure your gear, you need to look at one of the professional options. To give you a google hook, the type of coverage you want is 'inland marine insurance'.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
All I can suggest is, read the actual policy. For example, mine states:

Cameras. You agree that no camera used for pay during the policy term will be covered. This condition applies unless changed by endorsement and additional premium is paid at our current rates.

So, if you told them about commercial use, and you get written confirmation of coverage for that use, it should be ok.

Upvote 0