Can I save this shot in PP?

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Hi,
driving along early one morning and saw this shot, lots of low mist in the fields. I was hurried as where I parked was not ideal. Anyway I took some bracketed shots, from -2, -1.5, -1, -0.5 and +/-0. But, at F9.5, the sun is blown out in all five shots. I guess using F22 would have helped me.
The -2 shot has loads of noise due to most of it being very under exposed.
I thought about taking the darker parts from one of the better exposed versions to improve it. Anyone got any other ideas how to go about repairing this shot?

What about when shooting? I was using spot and trying to get the mist correct, which seems to have happened OK. I guess a grad ND would probably have helped too.

Cheers Brian

Attachments

• Test1.jpg
    Test1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,562

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Using RAW I'd have thought there is a good chance to recover this. Were you on a tripod though? this would determine how I would go about getting a good combined exposure.
If yes then I'd use photomatrix but as natural as possible
If no then I'd be using layer masks and careful editing

I'd also consider b&w which I think could allow you to turn the blown out sun to your advantage

good luck!

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
bjd said:
Hi,
driving along early one morning and saw this shot, lots of low mist in the fields. I was hurried as where I parked was not ideal. Anyway I took some bracketed shots, from -2, -1.5, -1, -0.5 and +/-0. But, at F9.5, the sun is blown out in all five shots. I guess using F22 would have helped me.
The -2 shot has loads of noise due to most of it being very under exposed.
I thought about taking the darker parts from one of the better exposed versions to improve it. Anyone got any other ideas how to go about repairing this shot?

What about when shooting? I was using spot and trying to get the mist correct, which seems to have happened OK. I guess a grad ND would probably have helped too.

Cheers Brian

Maybe, But it looks grim.

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
preppyak said:
I see the problem, your raw converter isn't in english! ;)
Dang, wondered what I was doing wrong.........so it doesn't work then on English photos?

preppyak said:
Yeah, this is probably the spot where a grad ND is the only thing that will really get the shot cleanly. You can look into luminance masks if you have Photoshop, as they would help you recover some highlights if they are blown out. You're definitely looking at combining multiple exposures though

http://imagingpro.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/expanding-the-dynamic-range-of-a-single-raw-file/
Thats a nice technique, I guess its also great for avoiding ghosting created by bracketed shots.
I tried it on another shot and it worked pretty well, I couldn't get the Blur part to work though. Plus the PS action link doesn't work for me at the moment.
Thats a great tip, thanks.

Cheers

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
EOBeav said:
The sun is going to be blown out no matter what you do. It's a fairly bright light source.
As that is true, even in the least exposed shot, any suggestions how I should have exposed the shot?
As stated I was on spot metering and aimed at the mist, and then bracketed around that value.

Thanks again to everyone that replied.

Cheers

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
What's wrong with just letting the sun be blown out? When you look at the sun with your eye (which you shouldn't do, so let's say when you look NEAR the sun with your eye) the pupil can't dial down enough anyway, so what you see is 'blown out'.

You can HDR the rest of the image as you like and it'll look fine, IMO.

-Brian

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
bbasiaga said:
What's wrong with just letting the sun be blown out? When you look at the sun with your eye (which you shouldn't do, so let's say when you look NEAR the sun with your eye) the pupil can't dial down enough anyway, so what you see is 'blown out'.

You can HDR the rest of the image as you like and it'll look fine, IMO.

-Brian
Thanks for the answer, I finally got around to trying some options on this, and here is one of the results.
Sun is blown out, as nothing could be rescued there at all anyway. I guess I thought that shooting differently might have helped.

>>Mind you, the JPG looks terribly noisy, the TIFF seems to be OK.
Recreated the JPG directly out of PS instead of LR. I hope that looks better.
Cheers Brian

Attachments

• _F8A4511.jpg
    _F8A4511.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0