Can my Canon 5D Mark II remotely operate the flashes speedlite 430EXII and 580EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gandhi

Can my Canon 5D Mark II remotely operate the flashes speedlite 430EXII and 580EXII?.Usually I use the 580 on my camera and use it as master and fire the other two 430 EX. however I am wondering if I can fire all the three remotely.
I am trying to find it in the manual and online, no luck as of now, any one can throw more light on this?

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
In short, no.
Only the 580, ST-E2, 7D, 60D, 600D can do that. I never realised it until I tried using it, but the signal to send to slave-flashes is actually a flash itself. So the 5D-line probably never will, because it doesn't have a built-in flash.

So you're stuck using the 580 on-camera, unless you get an ST-E2 or 3rd-party trigger-system...

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

dr croubie said:
In short, no.
Only the 580, ST-E2, 7D, 60D, 600D can do that. I never realised it until I tried using it, but the signal to send to slave-flashes is actually a flash itself. So the 5D-line probably never will, because it doesn't have a built-in flash.

So you're stuck using the 580 on-camera, unless you get an ST-E2 or 3rd-party trigger-system...

+1 need the 3rd party trigger, ST-E2, 550EX, 580EX (mk 1 or 2), MR-14EX, MT24-EX or 3rd party master Speedlite

Upvote 0
H

handsomerob

Gothmoth said:
if you do a lot of "off camera flash" then do yourself a favor and buy a good trigger from the start.

the phottix odin ttl trigger is great.
sold a lot of them and have yet to see a 430 EX or 580 EX customer who is unhappy with it.

TTL will not work 100% with all third party flashes but it´s great with canon flashes.

+1

Phottix and PocketWizard offer great products.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
briansquibb said:
Viggo said:
+1 for Odin -1 for PW's ::)

The Odin's never-fail stabillity makes it all the more fun! No misfire still, (after about 2000 shots) and the raaange, oh my the range!

+1 for PW - did a 4 speedlight test today - at about 20m. Did 10 without a miss

20 meters and 10 pictures? Well.....

Odin is at 200m and does ALL shots without a hitch. My problems with the PW's were extreme if the flashes were to close or to far apart and if the camera was to close or too far away...

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Viggo said:
briansquibb said:
Viggo said:
+1 for Odin -1 for PW's ::)

The Odin's never-fail stabillity makes it all the more fun! No misfire still, (after about 2000 shots) and the raaange, oh my the range!

+1 for PW - did a 4 speedlight test today - at about 20m. Did 10 without a miss

20 meters and 10 pictures? Well.....

Odin is at 200m and does ALL shots without a hitch. My problems with the PW's were extreme if the flashes were to close or to far apart and if the camera was to close or too far away...

I was only testing the number of speedlights and hiding them - and they were close together. I dont take flash from greater distance than that so there was no point in testing it ...

.... I think we have all got the message that you had problems with the Pocket Wizzards however there are thousands that haven't.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
briansquibb said:
.... I think we have all got the message that you had problems with the Pocket Wizzards however there are thousands that haven't.

The forums do seem to have a abnormally number of frustated users of their newest version, and, of course a advertised range of over 400 ft that turned out to be 12 feet does not inspire confidence. Of course, you can put a conductive bag over the flash and increase both the range and the flash temperture, risking heat damage. They will sell you a hard conductive box which works better, but why pay extra for the priviledge of getting acceptable performance, and to reduce the heat dissapation of your flash, which can already be a problem.

For those that get a 400 ft range with a PW and a canon 580 EX II on their camera (without modifying their flash), I'd say they are one in thousands.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Mt Spokane Photography said:
briansquibb said:

The forums do seem to have a abnormally number of frustated users of their newest version, and, of course a advertised range of over 400 ft that turned out to be 12 feet does not inspire confidence. Of course, you can put a conductive bag over the flash and increase both the range and the flash temperture, risking heat damage. They will sell you a hard conductive box which works better, but why pay extra for the priviledge of getting acceptable performance, and to reduce the heat dissapation of your flash, which can already be a problem.

For those that get a 400 ft range with a PW and a canon 580 EX II on their camera (without modifying their flash), I'd say they are one in thousands.

I hear what you say - but 12ft?? I am getting a reliable 60ft and I just haven't tried further.

With a lot of noise from various 'failures' of products when one digs further the failures happen at the extremes - why would someone take a remote flash at 400ft? Quite frankly I reckon 60ft is a fair distance - that is taking birds with a 1d4 and a 400mm.

I am using a MiniTT1 and 4TT5's to control 4x580EX remotes and a 580EXII on the hotshoe. I have not had a failure since I bought them at the beginning of the summer - and I use them a lot. It mystifies me why the failures are happening.

Mind you I have the same problem understanding the issue of the 5DII AF - especially low light performance - where DxO report the 5DII low light performance as the best.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

neuroanatomist said:
Brian, FWIW, Rob Galbraith reports the range for 580s with the European/UK version of the PWs is double that of the US/Canada version (different frequencies).

+1 Many thanks - explains why I dont hit problems then ;D ;D ;D

Should I have an issue with only 170ft (very unlikely) then I will put the 430EXII at the 850ft extremity. Perhaps I should get a 550EX just incase I need to go to 950ft ;D

However these numbers are NOTHING like the 12ft quoted earlier in the thread!

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
From Pocket Wizard's FAQ:

"Why won't my units trigger when I have them right next to each other?

A PocketWizard radio slave is designed to operate at long range. Units may not trigger normally at an extremely short range of a few inches or less. Antennas that are touching each other are definitely not recommended. Move the units several inches to a few feet apart and try again."

Then why did they introduce the Speed Cycle feature?? Then the flashes MUST be right next to each other!

And the 12ft you refer to is what Pocket Wizard themselves wrote on their page, and then blamed Canon and the 580 flash.

And I use them in Norway, so I should have the better range.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Mt Spokane Photography said:
briansquibb said:

Thank you !

Upvote 0
Another cheap option is to just use a long ETTL cable on the master unit. Not as elegant but reliable and cost effective if the main objective is to get the master off camera. No alternative for a fully featured ETTL wireless system, but until I'm ready to spend several hundred dollars on something like the Odin or PW it's a great option.

http://ocfgear.com/

I have the 33'/10m version for $65 and it does what it's supposed to do for a fraction of what I'd need otherwise. Note that this of course still relies on the Canon remote flash triggering and may be unreliable in direct sunlight.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.