Canadian birds

Don Haines said:
7DmkI said:
Jack Douglas said:
7DmkI said:
Our Toronto Blue Jays baseball team lost today's game and was eliminated from the American League Championship Series. :(

However, my Blue Jays Series is still going strong! GO JAYS GO!

Well, you've got an improved Maple Leaf team so maybe there is still some hope. How about a landscape series with sugar maple trees, a most beautiful tree which unfortunately doesn't do well in Alberta. ;)

Jack

Oh right, thanks Jack for reminding me there is still the Maple Leafs - the team that finish last in the league last season! Let's hope the younger players are not traded before they contribute and become the foundation of the rebuilding process.

I'll try to start a maple tree series and maybe one day post some pics here. :D
Sounds like a good idea..... can you get it done before the Leaf's win the Stanley Cup again :)

Sure - Last time they were in the playoff was 2004 and last time they won the Cup was 1967. With that trend, I think I can definitely do that.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Even the name is good: Whisky Jack ;)

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/meet-our-national-bird-gray-jay

Canada, meet your national bird.

With 450 species in the country to choose from, Canadian Geographic’s decision was made neither lightly nor quickly.

This national debate has been running since January 2015, in fact. But after weighing the opinions and preferences of tens of thousands of Canadians, as well as the expertise of our National Conservation Partners at Bird Studies Canada and other ornithologists and conservationists, as well as cultural experts and Indigenous Peoples, that list was narrowed to five birds. And one finalist best met all reasonable criteria.

We give you the gray jay. Also known as the whiskey jack or Canada jay, it is Canadian Geographic’s official recommendation for National Bird of Canada.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Jack Douglas said:

With 450 species in the country to choose from, Canadian Geographic’s decision was made neither lightly nor quickly.

This national debate has been running since January 2015, in fact. But after weighing the opinions and preferences of tens of thousands of Canadians, as well as the expertise of our National Conservation Partners at Bird Studies Canada and other ornithologists and conservationists, as well as cultural experts and Indigenous Peoples, that list was narrowed to five birds. And one finalist best met all reasonable criteria.

We give you the gray jay. Also known as the whiskey jack or Canada jay, it is Canadian Geographic’s official recommendation for National Bird of Canada.
The proper name is Canada Jay.... The Audubon society changed it to Gray Jay in the 1950's (and they spelled grey wrong :) ). I say we ignore them and call it what it is, The Canada Jay, or in Latin, Perisoreus Canadensis.

Attachments

• CanadaJay.jpg
    CanadaJay.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
@Don and @Jack:
Lovely bird you've got there. Reminds of our Siberian jay - Perisoreus infaustus - a bird known to love meatballs, sausages and curious visits near tourists camp fires and so on.
For Jack it must be a double pleasure. It doesn't matter if they call out: Whisky, Jack? or Whisky jack! The answer could still be Yes! followed by a pleasant "Ahhh!" :)

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Jack Douglas said:

The proper name is Canada Jay.... The Audubon society changed it to Gray Jay in the 1950's (and they spelled grey wrong :) ). I say we ignore them and call it what it is, The Canada Jay, or in Latin, Perisoreus Canadensis.

No, its proper Latin name is Castra Latro. :p

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
building, or plot of land, used as a fortified military camp

highwayman; brigand; robber

Hey that's pretty cleaver - did you have to work at that? ;D

Jack

Around here they're known as "camp robbers" for their fearless raids on any food that's not well protected. The rest is just a quick Google translation. No actual knowledge of Latin was used.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Orangutan said:
Jack Douglas said:
building, or plot of land, used as a fortified military camp

highwayman; brigand; robber

Hey that's pretty cleaver - did you have to work at that? ;D

Jack

Around here they're known as "camp robbers" for their fearless raids on any food that's not well protected. The rest is just a quick Google translation. No actual knowledge of Latin was used.

What a disappointment, I thought maybe you were and expert in Latin!

Jack

Upvote 0