Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Open house day (Updated + free laps and qualifications)

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
Joe M said:
You've got some nice shots there. I've yet to get to an F1 race and though Montreal is pretty much within driving distance for me, my goal is to get to Monaco in the near future. If Montreal is crowded, I can only imagine the wall to wall I'll face in Monaco. Anyway, not to turn this into about me looking forward to taking some shots of my own, I appreciate you posting these and I hope you spent some time enjoying the race too instead of looking through the lens. And the Massa/Perez crash was massive on television so in person it must have been gut wrenching. Amazing how these fellas walk away relatively unscathed in comparison to the size of the crash. Again though, thanks for posting these.

Thanks, this year I only brought the camera for practice and qualification. As I said before, there was more people than usual and, although I would have loved to photograph the race, I think I would have made some of my neoighbours unhappy I kept bringning my lens in their face during the race. So I fully appreciated the race. The place I usually shoot is at the foot of the stand I have tickets for. However this year they raised the fence about a foot at the exit of turn 2 and placed two very nice telecom antenna about a third and two third of the field of view. That was a big disappointment.

As for you going to a GP, Montreal is the only one I ever attended, but I think it is really nice and probably the one you can see for the lowest cost. I would not be surprised if general admission to Monaco was the same price as some of the best seats from Montreal. Of course, Montreal does not give all the glamour that European GP provide I guess. Wathever you do, I'm sure you'll be happy! These races are very nice to see live.

Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
As I said before, I'm seated at the apex of turn 2, with a view from the infamous 'Quebec wall' to the entry of turn 3. The accident happened right in front of me and I was quite worried for the drivers. Massa quickly moved enough to appear safe, but for Perez things did not look as good. And then an ambulance arrived. I was very worried. Finally turned out to be alright.

Last year a helper for the crane was ran over while recovering a crashed Sauber at turn 2. The guy died on place. I was there, but as most of the audience, I did not realize at the time aas we were all working on finding a way out to the track... I have pictures of the guy about a minute before he was ran down, I don't like those...

Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
And then some... Starting with two of Ricciardo for Roo.

Attachments

• 20140606-Ricciardo_RedBull-01.jpg
    20140606-Ricciardo_RedBull-01.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 631
  • 20140606-Ricciardo_Redull-02.jpg
    20140606-Ricciardo_Redull-02.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 605
  • 20140606-Raikkonen_Ferrari-02.jpg
    20140606-Raikkonen_Ferrari-02.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 586
  • 20140607-Button_McLaren-01.jpg
    20140607-Button_McLaren-01.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 596
  • 20140606-Vettel_RedBull-01.jpg
    20140606-Vettel_RedBull-01.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 608
Upvote 0
TheJock said:
The Massa/Perez crash was very dramatic on the television, these crashes are even more drastic in person (as you mentioned Joe). I was close to the Maldonado crash at Tabac corner in Monaco last year, which was a 10G head-first crash and we all thought he was a goner!! the Massa/Perez incident in Canada was logged at 27G!!!

Remember when Alonso went around someone while exiting the pits at Abu Dhabi last year and went over one of the bumps that is off the track? It set of the FIA crash sensor which mandates all drivers must have medical check up. Feels like a misprint or maybe I miss-remembered but I read that it measured in at 127G :eek:

IMG_0001 - Nice shots, particularly like the last one.

Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
Roo said:
Thanks for the Ricciardo shots!! Much appreciated. You really had a great position to observe the different lines the drivers use. I loved the Caterham recovering shot with the rear wheels spinning :)

Yeah, you can see in practice and qualification, when they are trying different lines. The line of the Caterham was not popular with other drivers. From that seat, it is also evident how much important nailing turn 1 is order to be quick and stable for turn 2 and 3.

Upvote 0