Cannot attach a photo

I have not posted for a few weeks, but I just went to add a new photo to a thread I started. When I click the bottom "attachments and other options" it gives the four standard buttons (follow thread, preview, etc). However the area below this where you add a photo is missing. I tried two different threads and same thing. I tried it in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox - same thing. WHAT IS HAPPENING?
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,608
2,063
Note the Gallery tab above, right side. You need to add pictures to a gallery, then you can link them from a post.
 

dpc

EOS 1D MK II
Dec 11, 2013
5,672
2,076
Western Canada
O.K. I guess I'm a tad dense but I can't seem to attach a photo to a post. I clicked on the Gallery tab, uploaded a picture but I can't see how to attach it to a post. When did the change to this method of posting occur and why?
 

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
5,739
3,042
Something is definitely wrong. I have been unable to upload images as in the past.
 

meywd

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 9, 2013
806
5
Hoboken NJ
mahmoudsdarwish.com
Well, as neuro mentioned, go to the gallery, add a photo there, then after that click on it to find BB code shortcuts to add your image to the post, it seem attaching images is gone for ever.

 

Orangutan

EOR R
Sep 25, 2010
2,140
3
meywd said:
Well, as neuro mentioned, go to the gallery, add a photo there, then after that click on it to find BB code shortcuts to add your image to the post, it seem attaching images is gone for ever.
Perhaps he's saying he wants to add a picture to a specific post, but NOT add it to a gallery where it may live outside that one post. If the image is connected to a particular post, I prefer to attach the image to that single post.

It's nice to have the gallery as an option, but not as a mandate.

Note to CR Admin: please bring back attachments as an option.
 

bluenoser1993

EOS RP
Jul 11, 2012
200
2
Not very user friendly. I tried to add a picture to the gallery so I could put it in a post and had no luck. First tried the personal gallery option (personal gallery is the category) and received error message and that I must choose a category. Tried various changes like naming, etc, and no luck, gave up on that idea. Tried again to add to general gallery, chose the category of sports. Still received the error that says I needed to choose a category. Guess I won't be posting any pictures tonight :-\
 

Ryananthony

EOS 7D MK II
Nov 7, 2015
498
2
MrFotoFool said:
Admin - If it is possible please bring back the old option! (If it is not possible because of a software change, well I guess nothing can be done, but I will likely not post any more photos).
 

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
12,496
1,032
Canada
MrFotoFool said:
Admin - If it is possible please bring back the old option! (If it is not possible because of a software change, well I guess nothing can be done, but I will likely not post any more photos).
+1
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,138
1,077
Alberta, Canada
Kind of warn out at the end of the day - first thought in my mind is I won't bother posting photos. Hopefully tomorrow that'll dissipate. :)

Jack
 

dpc

EOS 1D MK II
Dec 11, 2013
5,672
2,076
Western Canada
I've tried several times to attach an image to a post as per suggestions above without success. I obviously need a detailed primer on how to make this work. The old method was so straight forward. Why the change? I've enjoyed the forums and the site in general and will likely check back on it from time to time but not with my old enthusiasm and without posting photos.
 

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
5,739
3,042
It would seem that we are using up too much space on the site with our uploads so we are being limited to 238.42MB each. The system does work but it is cumbersome. I uploaded a test to the Gallery in the toolbar and chose Animal Kingdom as the category. I copied the link for the BB Medium Image Code and pasted it in here. In future, I will load to my own gallery, and keep the images small not to exceed my quota quickly.

 
P

Pookie

Guest
Or circumvent the entire wonky gallery by grabbing BBCode for images on your site (Flickr, 500px, SmugMug, etc) and just paste the code into your post... easy and then you don't have any limit.


BBCode from Flickr...

Code:
[b] [url=https://flic.kr/p/QNUczH][IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2688/32035868463_76a48bed18_b.jpg[/IMG][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/QNUczH]More to come...[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidkmartinez/]davidkm.com[/url], on Flickr [/b]
Active example...
More to come... by davidkm.com, on Flickr
 

dpc

EOS 1D MK II
Dec 11, 2013
5,672
2,076
Western Canada
AlanF said:
It would seem that we are using up too much space on the site with our uploads so we are being limited to 238.42MB each. The system does work but it is cumbersome. I uploaded a test to the Gallery in the toolbar and chose Animal Kingdom as the category. I copied the link for the BB Medium Image Code and pasted it in here. In future, I will load to my own gallery, and keep the images small not to exceed my quota quickly.


Thanks for the post. I'm willing to give this a try. I just attempted to post a test shot here but failed. I uploaded a picture to the gallery. I chose the BB Medium Image Code but I don't get where here I'm supposed to paste it.