Cannot attach a photo

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
It would appear the CR guy has locked out standard attachment functionality. Someone must have been naughty.

Also, Like/Dislike thumbs-ups have appeared recently.

If the attachment is a photo, there's the obvious backdoor to use IMG links to point to other pictures already hosted elsewhere. Example below was done with the following callout (written out as I don't know how to comment code into being visible and not actually pulling a file):

img (in brackets)
full URL (with http) to the JPG file in question (i.e. http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Sony-FE-24-70mm-f-2.8-GM-Lens/Sony-24-70mm-GM-Lens-Grip.jpg)
/img (in brackets)

And this is what you get (you can use Quote to see what I actually wrote above, and hijack my link for your needs):

Sony-24-70mm-GM-Lens-Grip.jpg

- A

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
There have been numerous posts about the change to the Gallery over the past few weeks, and a article added to site information.

The process is now exactly the same as adding a hotlink from a outside website. Add the photo(s) to your gallery, copy the bbs code for thumbnail, medium size or full size, place it in a post by clicking the "insert image" icon at the top left bottom row of icons, and paste it in.

It is not currently possible to upload images directly from a post, but I'll ask the author about that.

This came about because of complaints regarding quality of inserted images, as well as to give members the ability to manage their images rather than have old ones deleted by Admins to clean up the servers.

It does take extra steps to get one into a post. A automatic topic can be setup, but I felt that was little help, since it would place all images in a standardized topic or set of topics rather than where you want them.

Another potential benefit is the automatic adding of a watermark which makes it less likely that a image will be grabbed for use elsewhere. Its still certainly possible, but placing the watermark across the entire image is not a good option, I hate to have one at all but it seems prudent.

We all hate change, moving from something we are comfortable with can be a pain. Give it a try, I think there is a lot to gain.

Upvote 0
CR Backup Admin said:
There have been numerous posts about the change to the Gallery over the past few weeks, and a article added to site information.

The process is now exactly the same as adding a hotlink from a outside website. Add the photo(s) to your gallery, copy the bbs code for thumbnail, medium size or full size, place it in a post by clicking the "insert image" icon at the top left bottom row of icons, and paste it in.

It is not currently possible to upload images directly from a post, but I'll ask the author about that.

This came about because of complaints regarding quality of inserted images, as well as to give members the ability to manage their images rather than have old ones deleted by Admins to clean up the servers.

It does take extra steps to get one into a post. A automatic topic can be setup, but I felt that was little help, since it would place all images in a standardized topic or set of topics rather than where you want them.

Another potential benefit is the automatic adding of a watermark which makes it less likely that a image will be grabbed for use elsewhere. Its still certainly possible, but placing the watermark across the entire image is not a good option, I hate to have one at all but it seems prudent.

We all hate change, moving from something we are comfortable with can be a pain. Give it a try, I think there is a lot to gain.

Trouble is assuming that everyone understands what you're saying here. I don't have a clue as to what a bb code is, nor did I have any success loading images to the gallery. Some instructions with screen shots would be helpful.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
bluenoser1993 said:
CR Backup Admin said:

Trouble is assuming that everyone understands what you're saying here. I don't have a clue as to what a bb code is, nor did I have any success loading images to the gallery. Some instructions with screen shots would be helpful.

1. Click the gallery tab and select add picture in the drop down list, or select add picture from the gallery.

2. In the panel that comes up, select a category and then add picture (single or multiple) for either the main gallery, or for your own gallery (user gallery). In your user gallery, you can create categories or put them all in one category, but a category should be selected at this point.

3. In the screen that comes up,
1. Single image: browse to the image, give it a title, and add any appropriate description. click add picture and it will upload

2. Multiple images - drag and drop, or click the panel, and browse to the images you want to upload. Click add picture and they will upload.

4. navigate to the gallery, select your photo and copy the BBS field under the photo. There are three, thumb, medium, and full size. Use the Medium but they all work.

5. Paste the BBS link you copied into your post being sure to click the insert image icon on the post, and pasting into the field that pops up, or in the middle of the img tags if your browser inserts them.

I hope this helps, I'm sure that some may still have trouble, send a pm and I'll try to help.

BTW, you cannot upload raw images, and you need to resize large images image size to be 4800 X 4800 pixels or smaller with a max file size of 6.68MB. There is a fixed space allocated for each member that is displayed.

I'll try to improve this write up and post it.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
bluenoser1993 said:
CR Backup Admin said:

1. Click the gallery tab and select add picture in the drop down list, or select add picture from the gallery.

2. In the panel that comes up, select a category and then add picture (single or multiple) for either the main gallery, or for your own gallery (user gallery). In your user gallery, you can create categories or put them all in one category, but a category should be selected at this point.

3. In the screen that comes up,
1. Single image: browse to the image, give it a title, and add any appropriate description. click add picture and it will upload

2. Multiple images - drag and drop, or click the panel, and browse to the images you want to upload. Click add picture and they will upload.

4. navigate to the gallery, select your photo and copy the BBS field under the photo. There are three, thumb, medium, and full size. Use the Medium but they all work.

5. Paste the BBS link you copied into your post being sure to click the insert image icon on the post, and pasting into the field that pops up, or in the middle of the img tags if your browser inserts them.

I hope this helps, I'm sure that some may still have trouble, send a pm and I'll try to help.

BTW, you cannot upload raw images, and you need to resize large images image size to be 4800 X 4800 pixels or smaller with a max file size of 6.68MB. There is a fixed space allocated for each member that is displayed.

I'll try to improve this write up and post it.

Thanks, I'll try again when I'm back at a computer. Image downsizing use to be automatic didn't it? I don't recall doing any downsizing before attaching photos in the past. Perhaps that's why the images wouldn't load and the error message about not selecting a category is a bit of a glitch because I did have a category selected.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
MrFotoFool said:
I don't mean to sound like a jerk (though I fear I might), but honestly all of this is more trouble than it's worth. I doubt I will post any more photos on CanonRumors.

You should note that the attachment capability was turned back on a few days ago.

I hadn't noticed that either. Once I was able to load to my gallery I just moved on. Interesting though that the size restriction for attachments is larger; 8MB vs 6.something and 5000 on the longest side.

Upvote 0