Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

Aussie shooter

@brett.guy.photography
Dec 6, 2016
You must be new here.
Touche! New compared to many. True. Long enough however to be well and truly over being so graciously informed about how, when, where and why someone decided to buy into the Sony system when I am trying to get to information that is relevant to the thread I am reading. In this case the future mirrorless pro canon. A camera which I will be in no position to buy of course but any information on this camera will likely give me an inkling into the general future direction and capabilities of all future canon mirrorless cameras

miketcool

EOS 80D
Jun 29, 2017
If Canon released a 1D-X body along with the mirror equivalent, can we assume they’ll use the same batteries? I feel like Canon has an opportunity to introduce a new battery format (higher capacity, better tech) along with these new flagships. I would think additional connectivity, USB charging, GPS tagging, and an indestructible fixed screen are in order. I’m torn between illuminated buttons as I often learn the location by memory in the dark, but I would welcome a low power, dimmable solution for this. Even a way to change the UI to night mode would be helpful for my work.

Fast primes declicked for occasional video work are wanted. I don’t mind cropping if electronic, mirror, and lens stabilization are working in concert. The stabilization duo on my EOS R works brilliantly, and I’d love to see that feature on the flagship along with stills. Bracketing intervalometer settings would also be welcome.

A truly revolutionary idea that I haven’t seen done yet with EVF, is allowing the viewfinder to tilt up for studio or field work. This would be great on the higher resolution edition but not the field workhorses. I really don’t see value on a rugged body, to having the screen articulate. A wind storm knocked over my 5Dmk4 body which would have been rendered useless if the screen was sticking out.

Reactions: Aussie shooter

HarryFilm

EOS 7D MK II
Jun 6, 2016
WOW, wouldn't that be amazing! BTW, what's your track record on predictions - can you offer us a % figure?;)

:confused::(:cry:

Jack
2 out of 300 or about 0.6% (i.e. less than one percent!)

1) The Canon C700 I got spot on.

2) a new 60 fps 50 megapixel MF camera and a 2/3rds inch Smartphone which will ALSO be spot on....

and after that? You shall see soon enough!

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
But in the past Sony did not have much if any glass that was competitive with Canon, that is changing. The G Masters are really nice lenses. I still do not see most Canon users jumping ship. But the ones that do are enjoying the benefits that Sony already brought to market. That is more fun than coming to CR daily hoping the next release will be the one they have been waiting for. They must have the technology, but I see the problem with Canon is too many lines have power over one another. Every camera seems to be limited in some way. Most are awesome, but missing something that is available in another line. Unless they revamp the entire way to do their business, we will see more of the same. Luckily the lenses don't work that way.
You say that but many are already saying the A7r IV video specs are deliberately neutered, certainly they don’t even match competitions specs from years ago. Indeed ‘many internet experts’ are pointing out that Panasonic are eating Sony’s lunch for video specs in these cameras.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
A fast professional R body will require professional R lenses (especially telephoto). 70-200mm f2.8 will be there, what about others? I'll not but a fast and strong EOS R if I have to use adapters.
1) many pro photogs never use the telephotos. Simple reportage, travel, wedding, stock, etc. are probably fine with trinity zooms. The 2.8 trinity is already announced, with IS all the way. Many working pros don't need anything more. I grant there are other pros that almost only use the telephotos (sports, wildlife), but it's not like Canon can't get any sales until they have literally everyone's bases covered.

2) of course all EF glass works via adapter. I think pros are probably OK with this as long as it doesn't fail (break, weather, etc.) I mean pros think nothing of a macro tube when needed, and no-one using the white telephotos would refuse a teleconverter. So why refuse the RF-EF adapter?

I actually feel point 1 strongly enough that I wonder if they made a mistake not releasing the R with trinity 2.8's. But they're pros at marketing as well as optic design, so I imagined they have this all timed out. The current R's, I bet, aren't even being made to sell, but rather to get people talking about the system. No other motivation for the ridiculous 28-70/2.0... So, if this year is just to build buzz, I bet we'll still have trinity plus a pro body all long before the Olympics, so all the reportage going on can be done by people who are totally familiar with their R's, even if the actual event shooters are still using EF glass (and potentially EF cameras).

Reactions: Michael Clark

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
At this point Canon cannot just equal the competition. It must excel and beat the competition demonstrably. Otherwise they are just playing catch-up and the next sonikon will just leave it in the dust playing perpetual catch-up.
Their market share is growing even with the current less-than-exciting camera. The glass at least is truly awesome. 28-70/2 still looks like a typo to me, it's so hard to believe, and the 50/1.2 is literally 10x sharper in the corners than the EF. I think the IS for the wide and normal trinity zooms, plus their extended range, also is quite compelling. (Though I wonder how necessary it is given the IBIS coming soon.)

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
The real question in my mind is whether or not Canon is capable of putting together a camera that does high frames per second while also doing all of the various calculations that are typically seen as an advantage with a mirrorless camera.
Oh, I think Canon is capable of anything it wants to do, but like most companies, its business is making money, not showing what it can do. For better or worse, it's only going to give us the things it thinks will be most profitable. That's not bad news: that was the same motivation behind the USM and EF mount in the first place, the tilt-shift lenses, etc. What's good for them will most certainly be good for us which is why we'll pay them for it. Just don't think they're going to be giving us everything they're capable of, just the things they can develop cheaply enough to make some money on.

Reactions: 3kramd5

HarryFilm

EOS 7D MK II
Jun 6, 2016
It’s zero/300 “predictions”

Also, for many months he’s been on about an APS-C camera phone. Now he’s slipping 2/3” in its place.
===

The 2/3rd inch phone is what is coming first! It is now built at a consumer-acceptable thickness. It is complete and ready for FCC/EU certification!

The APS-C phone is coming later because the prototype is a tad "THICK" and a NEW type of lens technology is required to get it down below an acceptable 15mm of thickness.

When you see these .... You will be BLOWN AWAY by the sheer technological prowess displayed by these devices. They truly ARE game changers! IP-68 Waterproofing and Ruggedness too!

The 60 fps 4:4:4 RAW and Compressed 8192 x 6144 pixel (50.3 megapixels) Medium Format combined stills/video camera is also a game changer. It's quite a bit superior to the Fujifilm GFX 100 in terms of actual image quality, sensitivity, still and video frame rates, multiple output file formats and still/video image aspect ratios, AND colour depths. It now SUPERSEDES Canon's Colour science and is EQUAL to the Arri Alexa-65 in a MUCH CHEAPER and much smaller body! The ergonomics are so much more improved too. No more big lens that intrude upon your hands! The hand-grip and screen swivel and are lockable to various positions! You can even use it for Vlogging and selfies in addition to Sports/Action/Wildlife Stills and Video!

Price-wise, it will be fairly close to the $10 000 US mark, so Red is Dead now, Canon C-series and 1D/5D is Toast, Nikon is So-Gone, Panasonic is the Goat and Arri is Sushi!

Soooooo .... who ELSE could it be?

flip314

EOS RP
Sep 26, 2018
The APS-C phone is coming later because the prototype is a tad "THICK" and a NEW type of lens technology is required to get it down below an acceptable 15mm of thickness.
I haven't had a 15mm thick phone since flip phones were a thing...

Pape

EOS RP
Dec 31, 2018
Will be intresting see what Rx can do with computing photography.
Should work better with handhold shoots when smaller pixel density and lot faster bursts. And ibis stuff
I am hoping 50fps focus stacking and HDR pixel shift .
X serie shooting speed HdR stack could be actually working most of situations except extreme action. good bye DR problems
Maybe thats why canon been compromicing focusing ability over DR on sensor. computing progress may been just slower they expected.

ozturert

EOS T7i
Jan 16, 2019
1) many pro photogs never use the telephotos. Simple reportage, travel, wedding, stock, etc. are probably fine with trinity zooms. The 2.8 trinity is already announced, with IS all the way. Many working pros don't need anything more. I grant there are other pros that almost only use the telephotos (sports, wildlife), but it's not like Canon can't get any sales until they have literally everyone's bases covered.

2) of course all EF glass works via adapter. I think pros are probably OK with this as long as it doesn't fail (break, weather, etc.) I mean pros think nothing of a macro tube when needed, and no-one using the white telephotos would refuse a teleconverter. So why refuse the RF-EF adapter?

I actually feel point 1 strongly enough that I wonder if they made a mistake not releasing the R with trinity 2.8's. But they're pros at marketing as well as optic design, so I imagined they have this all timed out. The current R's, I bet, aren't even being made to sell, but rather to get people talking about the system. No other motivation for the ridiculous 28-70/2.0... So, if this year is just to build buzz, I bet we'll still have trinity plus a pro body all long before the Olympics, so all the reportage going on can be done by people who are totally familiar with their R's, even if the actual event shooters are still using EF glass (and potentially EF cameras).
  1. We were talking about Olympics.
  2. Did I say EF lenses do not work with the adapter? I have the adapter and it works good enough (though I see some AF issues with some lenses). Also see point 1 (Olympics). Now try to use teleconverters with EF-R adapter.

• Angry
Reactions: SwissFrank

HarryFilm

EOS 7D MK II
Jun 6, 2016
I haven't had a 15mm thick phone since flip phones were a thing...
---

The larger the sensor size, the DEEPER the camera opening is required to be. A 2/3rd inch sensor is the current size limit for modern 9 mm thick and less smartphones for proper focal plane "focus" on the sensor itself. Like I said earlier, the 2/3rds inch sensor smartphone is basically completely ready and just needs U.S. FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and EU wireless certifications before sale. So once you see a certain smartphone on the certification list, it means public introduction is a mere few weeks away! Around $900 to $1000 US!

The APS-C smartphone version is a whole different ball of wax as this is fully IP-68 ruggedized super-flagship smartphone, so it is close to 15mm thick and the battery is much much larger than normal at over 10 000 mAh (milli-Amp-hours for all day use of LIKELY running time of 4 to 6 at DCI 8K video recording and 8 to 12 hours for 4K DCI video. It sucks a lot of juice as it's screen is a full DCI 4K screen (4096 by 2160 pixels) and the APS-C camera sensor (23.6 mm by 15.6 mm) is a full DCI 8K (8192 x 4320) video-centric actual resolution which is about 35.3 megapixels!

This is a cinema-centric phone with 60 fps and super-low light sensitivity at a little over 2.7 microns per photosite in a Bayer sensor-type, 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 colour at 10 to 16-bits per channel HDR output. BOTH the Still images and Video will be a Hollywood cinema-centric 1.89:1 aspect ratio! It DOES have the latest version HDMI output port for DCI 8k 60fps 4:4:4 with CLEAN audio/video output and BOTH a 3.5mm audio input and output jack (i.e. TWO audio jacks)!

It will be a entry-level 8K video capture system that competes DIRECTLY with the Blackmagic 4K pocket camera AND be a daily-use super-smartphone! The USB-3 charging system ALLOWS stills/video camera use while charging so it means the smartphone can be powered externally during use. There will also be external lens attachment and extra power supply/handgrip accessories offered right away in order to fulfill it's ability to be an entry level cinema camera! Now word yet on a specific date but the prototype is a nearly-finished consumer-ready model !!! A few more months and FCC/EU certs needed!

It will also be priced at about $1500 U.S. which is Red Hydrogen pricing territory BUT it looks like people WILL buy it!

Last edited:

ozturert

EOS T7i
Jan 16, 2019
Is that a problem for some reason?
Reliability. Extra risk for professionals. OK for me because I don't need the best reliability but if I was at Olympics I wouldn't want to miss shots because of failure in one of the adapters.
To clarify, my first comment was about professionals at Olympics. I don't care about amateurs.

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
Reliability. Extra risk for professionals. OK for me because I don't need the best reliability but if I was at Olympics I wouldn't want to miss shots because of failure in one of the adapters.
To clarify, my first comment was about professionals at Olympics. I don't care about amateurs.
That explains why professionals never use a teleconverter. I just knew there was a reason, thanks! :rolleyes:

Reactions: ERHP