Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
  1. We were talking about Olympics.
  2. Did I say EF lenses do not work with the adapter? I have the adapter and it works good enough (though I see some AF issues with some lenses). Also see point 1 (Olympics). Now try to use teleconverters with EF-R adapter.
You weren't talking about the Olympics. Your post was the third one on this article, and didn't mention Olympics, and neither did the two previous. You made an unqualified statement, that was BS. I called about it, and you lie about the context when the context is trivially checkable. I'm wondering where Trump was nine months before you were born because you share some personality traits with him.

And I didn't say you said they don't work with the adapter. Go stuff words in someone else's mouth and leave me alone.

3kramd5

EOS 5D MK IV
Mar 2, 2012
The APS-C smartphone version is a whole different ball of wax as this is fully IP-68 ruggedized super-flagship smartphone, so it is close to 15mm thick and the battery is much much larger than normal at over 10 000 MAh for all day use.
Boy, that’s a trick. 10,000 mega amp hours at an assumed ~4VDC (typical of phone batteries) is enough to power 400,000 of tesla’s longest range sedans, or 33 time-traveling DeLoreans (for an hour each).

Last edited:

HarryFilm

EOS 7D MK II
Jun 6, 2016
Boy, that’s a trick. 10,000 mega amp hours at an assumed ~4VDC (typical of phone batteries) is enough to power 400,000 of tesla’s longest range sedans, or 33 time-traveling DeLoreans (for an hour each).

Ok! Make that mAh (Milli-Amp Hours!) -- I think as an engineer you SHOULD have gotten the original intent! At 10,000 mAh, I am guessing 4 to 6 hours with the smartphone camera running at 60 fps DCI 8k video at say an average 12 bits 4:2:2 compressed interframe codec. At 4k DCI 4:2:2 10-bit video, I am guessing 8 hours to 12 hours. That is a BIG battery even if they are using a high powered Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 CPU. It will depend upon screen brightness being used, and other running apps BUT if the user is judicious with their apps usage I can easily see all-day use for budget cinematography for this APS-C smartphone.

I am ASSUMING its a newer type Thin-Film Lithium Ion battery with a more advanced cell draw and charge balancing controller which means its draw-down curve will be quite flat so you actually DO get the full run times indicated!

Last edited:

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Reliability. Extra risk for professionals. OK for me because I don't need the best reliability but if I was at Olympics I wouldn't want to miss shots because of failure in one of the adapters.
To clarify, my first comment was about professionals at Olympics. I don't care about amateurs.
A pro uses the right tool for the job.

At the olympics, reliability really isn’t an issue as there are a bazillion spare cameras and Canon service/loaners on site....

The reason for using a 1DX2 at the olympics is the file transfer..... as the photographer is clicking away, the files are being sent to HQ, where someone else is editing and posting them Yes, the camera is superior in many other ways, but in that scenario, Live file uploads are the killer app.

As far as teleconverters go, they suck on high density sensors when you are using a crappy lens. Put them on a low density FF camera with L primes, and as long as the lighting will let you AF quickly, they are great.

3kramd5

EOS 5D MK IV
Mar 2, 2012
Ok! Make that mAh (Milli-Amp Hours!) -- I think as an engineer you SHOULD have gotten the original intent!
I thought the sarcastic nature in my reply made it clear that I got the intent. If I really thought you meant 10GAh I would have responded... less tongue in cheek.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
A pro uses the right tool for the job.

At the olympics, reliability really isn’t an issue as there are a bazillion spare cameras and Canon service/loaners on site....
Even with spares and service, you're not going to have a chance to get a spare during most events.

I don't think reliability is a huge issue, that said: even an EOS R, definitely not a pro-grade camera, isn't going to just stop working half-way through the 50m dash or what have you.

stevelee

FT-QL
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Touche! New compared to many. True. Long enough however to be well and truly over being so graciously informed about how, when, where and why someone decided to buy into the Sony system when I am trying to get to information that is relevant to the thread I am reading. In this case the future mirrorless pro canon. A camera which I will be in no position to buy of course but any information on this camera will likely give me an inkling into the general future direction and capabilities of all future canon mirrorless cameras
My favorite one was from a guy who said he decided to jump ship when he was on a cruise, or something like that.

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Even with spares and service, you're not going to have a chance to get a spare during most events.

I don't think reliability is a huge issue, that said: even an EOS R, definitely not a pro-grade camera, isn't going to just stop working half-way through the 50m dash or what have you.
What I meant is that in an event like the olympics, the photographers have several spares with them, and if one did fail, they can have it replaced by the next day. It’s not like they are on Safari or in Antarctica :)