Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I wonder if the next "pro" camera will be more along the lines of a souped up mirrorless 5Div. Something more along the lines of a Nikon 850 at about the same pixel count, slightly more or slightly less, and 8-9 fps and dual or even quad pixel. This would give the 8000 plus horizontal pixels for high quality 4-binned pixel 4K video.

This would be the ideal sidekick camera to a 1DXiii able to work with the same lenses and provide fallback in case of a failure, plus give access to some superb RX lenses at the shorter focal lengths. Also, this would be more the general pro camera for nearly everything not needing bombproof construction and 12-16 fps. If I were working high end sports, NFL, NBA, NHL, Olympics I would be very happy with this combo, 1DXiii and 400/2.8 and converters, super R with RF 70-200/2.8, RF 24-70/2.8 and perhaps a 15-35/2.8 for just in case. I kinda like that combo for wildlife and general nature work, too.

Here is my personal opinion for me relative to this comment. I really don't like the idea of being forced to carry two camera bodies. Also, living in the 14 FPS realm for a couple years ... the other day I forgot to change cards and was at 12 and wondered, what is wrong! People say, just anticipate the moment but human reaction times just don't align with that being a great solution and, while there is a sane limit to what is needed for FPS, I would not be happy with less than 14. Here is a mundane shots that kind of illustrates how 14 FPS helps in capturing a moment.

Jack

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Ask sports photographers if they want to use adapted lenses, and see their reaction :)...

Thanks for asking. I'm only a sample size of one sports photographer, but I don't mind using an adapted lens at all. I'd choose that over having to buy and carry duplicate lenses any day of the week. Of course, I would only use the Canon adapter with Canon lenses. And, realistically, since I won't be giving up the 1DX II, 5DIV or even the 7DII anytime soon, I'm much more likely to continue to buy EF lenses and adapt them for the R.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
A fast professional R body will require professional R lenses (especially telephoto). 70-200mm f2.8 will be there, what about others? I'll not but a fast and strong EOS R if I have to use adapters.
Or maybe Canon has a plan to release 1-2 L more telephoto lenses?
We probably will have 24-70 and 15-35 f2.8L so I don't see huge problems there.

No .. it won't require RF lenses. Any RF lenses would be an added benefit, but even the EOS R presently functions near-perfect with EF glass. The only slight downside would be an extra RF to EF adapter. But on the other hand, Adapting EF glass to a 1DX mirrorless would allow the variable ND filter adapter which would be an extra benefit to continuing with some EF glass. So both options should be very useful options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
About extenders and other adapters, like other things in life, there are purists who would never place a X1.4 on their lens. They are usually quite vocal about such things and of course they have a point ... to a point.

My feeling is that folk who are so "picky" (my view of it only) actually miss out on opportunities in life but it's a very personal thing. I'm a perfectionist who regularly lapses into significant imperfection because I've come to realize that such behaviour can be very counterproductive and stress inducing when all you really want is to have fun while doing a decent job. After all, isn't life about having fun!:)

Now if you happen to be severely competitive then I guess that's a different story or if you're on the verge of being fired because your work isn't cutting it ... I'm glad I'm not a professional photographer; I'm just having FUN.

Jack

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
No .. it won't require RF lenses. Any RF lenses would be an added benefit, but even the EOS R presently functions near-perfect with EF glass. The only slight downside would be an extra RF to EF adapter. But on the other hand, Adapting RF glass to a 1DX mirrorless would allow the variable ND filter adapter which would be an extra benefit.
Oops, isn't it that you only benefit from the ND adapter if you're adapting EF glass to the camera (typo??) That ND is why I bought the R.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thanks for asking. I'm only a sample size of one sports photographer, but I don't mind using an adapted lens at all. I'd choose that over having to buy and carry duplicate lenses any day of the week. Of course, I would only use the Canon adapter with Canon lenses. And, realistically, since I won't be giving up the 1DX II, 5DIV or even the 7DII anytime soon, I'm much more likely to continue to buy EF lenses and adapt them for the R.
You don't understand. He speaks for all of you action guys. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
About extenders and other adapters, like other things in life, there are purists who would never place a X1.4 on their lens. They are usually quite vocal about such things and of course they have a point ... to a point.

My feeling is that folk who are so "picky" (my view of it only) actually miss out on opportunities in life but it's a very personal thing. I'm a perfectionist who regularly lapses into significant imperfection because I've come to realize that such behaviour can be very counterproductive and stress inducing when all you really want is to have fun while doing a decent job. After all, isn't life about having fun!:)

Now if you happen to be severely competitive then I guess that's a different story or if you're on the verge of being fired because your work isn't cutting it ... I'm glad I'm not a professional photographer; I'm just having FUN.

Jack
The appeal of the RP (even the R), to me, is the low cost and ability to adapt my... cough, cough... obsolete, no good, dirty glass. ;) I think Canon did the right thing by making an adapter. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't afford to go out and drop $15,000+ on a whole new setup all at once. That's nearly a year's income for me. I imagine that most people are in the same boat, that includes many pros. It seems that most people assume pros are making big bucks. Most probably don't. Enthusiasts like myself probably make up a far larger portion of the market than professionals. Canon knows this, so Canon did it right. Very smart, and I am very thankful. Yes, I could get a 6D Mark II for less than the RP, but I want all the extra focus points.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I will be the first to be in line if Canon can truly make a 1DXII class mirrorless. However they will be up against a Sony A9II, a Nikon D6 and their own 1DXIII so it'll need to be very good. They need to have a quantum jump in performance over the lacklustre R which will finally mean all new (stacked, global shutter) sensor. I know they have the patents let's hope we see some action. So many of the R's failings come down to the not-for-mirrorless sensor of the 5D4.

By Canon affiliation is hanging by a thread at the moment but I'm prepared to wait and hopefully we get announcemnts before year's end. But make no mistake Sony A9II will be my next camera, but I have no qualms running two systems. I'd love to be able to sell my D500 but Nikon has those PF lenses that at this stage I can't see Canon making equivalents. Interesting 12-18 months coming up.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...It seems that most people assume pros are making big bucks. Most probably don't. Enthusiasts like myself probably make up a far larger portion of the market than professionals. Canon knows this, so Canon did it right. Very smart, and I am very thankful...

Slight correction. Most professionals don't make big bucks. There are a handful of well-paid elites and then there are the vast majority who do it for the love of the work and feel lucky to get paid enough to get by.

The truth is that in today's ever shrinking market, even the elite photographers often end up earning more from workshops, websites, You Tube channels, books, etc., than from their photography.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Lately CR1's have been generating the same responses as CR3's. I'll withhold conjecture for now.
Oh, definitely. We need to mind that CR1 big time.

Part of me wonders if this camera is actually related to the rumor of two pro-like cameras coming: one high resolution body and one speed focused body. The CR1 then suggested that neither were a match for the 1Dxii, but one was a "sports focused" camera which would have lower resolution, higher frame rates and sensor advancements. If that's the case, I could see the sports camera being confused for a mirrorless 1Dxii if the rumor came from a different source.

Either way, hopes and dreams look to be through the roof in here.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Slight correction. Most professionals don't make big bucks. There are a handful of well-paid elites and then there are the vast majority who do it for the love of the work and feel lucky to get paid enough to get by.

The truth is that in today's ever shrinking market, even the elite photographers often end up earning more from workshops, websites, You Tube channels, books, etc., than from their photography.
Thanks! I read somewhere that the average take home pay for a professional photographer in the USA is about $34,000. Median is about $45,000, which is not a lot of money. For some reason a lot of people think "Professional" means high pay. Nope. It just means it is how a person makes their primary living. Has nothing to do with highly paid. So people screaming, "Canon has to do this or that to attract "pros" and to stay afloat as a company" really don't know what they are talking about. To me, Canon is far more concerned with attracting well heeled enthusiasts, the gearheads with money. That is the big market and where the profits are. Canon uses the elite Professionals to market to those monied enthusiasts. The adapters are what are going to make or break the RF mount for most people, in my opinion. I hope to get an RP (with adapter and grip extender) around Christmas. RF lenses? That will take a lot of Ramen eating and saving for years. ;)

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Professional_Photographer/Salary

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Without the need for a mirror flopping around, why shouldn't the R series action camera be capable of 24 FPS, full resolution, or even 30 FPS?

The camera would have to be capable of pushing that many pixels through the sensor to the memory card. That has been a big challenge for Canon. I only see them being able to do it if they have really improved their CPU performance for power or if they just throw a huge battery in to power the extra CPUs, AF, and EVF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
No it isn't, and it is. A TC is a must sometimes. And if you need to use TC with the adapter? Ask sports photographers if they want to use adapted lenses, and see their reaction :)
1Dx is a workhorse, Canikon don't even have rotating mode dial because rotating dials might be prone to failure (low probability but it is there).
The real complaint by opponents of adapters is the additional surfaces introduced into the optical path. Thus increasing the potential of out of alignment optics.
The controls for focus and aperture are identical and Canon would ensure proper performance. My experience with both Canon TCs and R adapters is that they are completely transparent in operation.
Using a TC and adapter would be clunky but as there are no moving parts in either the risk is low.
The 1D series are solid but so is the 5D series. I have used both for many years and have had no failures with either.

Upvote 0