Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I have to say, I really like the control ring option on the "R" and I originally just picked ISO because I didn't see anything else I was interested in..

I prefer not to use the auto ISO setting on DSLRs because I don't like letting the camera pick the ISO. With the R, I can easily adjust the ISO when going from one environment to another. I was afraid I would inadvertently change the ISO or forget to change it when I moved to a different lighting situation, but so far, that hasn't been the case.

I actually think the control ring on the adapter is in a more intuitive and less confusing spot than the control ring on the 24-105 R lens.

Having grown up with film, it has taken me quite a while to think of ISO as a third option to adjust. And, honestly, until the most recent generations of sensors, I didn't like the results of most ISOs above 400.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ClickIt_AC

Shoot First... ask questions later!
Dec 11, 2013
Yorkshire
www.alamy.com
Are you referring to Canon AF generally, or the EOS R / RP? Was standing on a beach yesterday with the EOS R and an adapted 70-300L, and the R couldn’t manage to lock onto a gliding seagull or flying cormorant against a blue sky even with the AF frame tracking right on the bird through a >120° arc of sky. I know from years of experience that my 1D X would have zero problems with this. IMO, DPAF has a ways to go before I’ll rely on it for basic BIF, much less tracking swallows or birds against a complex background.

Which illustrates quite nicely, why many of us here have a selection of cameras in our signature. We will all no doubt use anything at hand on the spur of a moment, if it means we can at least try to 'get that shot'. However, if we are 'planning' for a certain type of shoot, we select the best from those tools that we have available in our kit. I love the EOS R with a grip, for close work and weddings/Christenings etc. it is also a bonus that I can stick on an EF-S lens and remove the grip to have a light travel and general tourism rig (even if there is a reduced image MP to consider for EF-S). For BIF then I would use a better weighted body (like my 1D IV) to hold the larger of my distance lenses and on this basis I would also usually make myself comfortable somewhere and sit down with a resting post or monopod in front of me to help with the weight. I find the EOS R even with a grip, somewhat too light when used with my heavier lenses, whilst I know Canon has its own map to replace the EF's with the RF's, all the same, for the mid-to-long term transitioners, it will be interesting to see how the counter balancing mass of the 1D series bodies, is accommodated in any new EOS R Pro Body. The fact that I could use any combination of my Canon gear to still attempt to obtain whatever shot, however impractical, when in a pinch (i.e. when bodies are in for service or are out on loan) is versatility that should be applauded but forgotten in this thread sometimes. BTW, I too have adapters and Extenders, none of which cause me any issue in practical use.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While I truly laud Canon for getting into a pro-body mirrorless system, for me, it is too little, too late. As a working pro with a huge investment in EF L glass and 1D bodies (including the 1D XII), I added the Sony Alpha system in 2015 after finding the EF-M system only suitable for 'grabbing' images with a lighter back up (though I must admit the EF to EF-M adapter worked with the large glass quite well). I was very interested in what mirrorless could offer, but the EF-M just fell short.

Now, four years later I have four Sony alphas (a7RII, a7SII, a7RIII, and a9) and they all function better with the EF L glass using the Metabones adapter than do the M bodies. Far better, as the Sony bodies are technologically vastly superior. Last month Sony announced the 200-400mm and the 600mm super telephotos, and my pre-order is already in place. A former Canon pro shooter who sold me on the Sony with the Metabones back in 2015 whilst on a trip to Svalbard has field tested this new Sony glass and he raves about them. "As good, if not better, than my 200-400 w/1/4x and 600mm LII, with an adapter or natively on my D XI." I have the 200-400mm /1.4x and a 600mm L, so this translates for me quite nicely.

I still use my Canon bodies and glass, as there is really no equivalent—from a weatherproof point-of-view—than the X bodies. However, for Canon to expect me to invest in their R system, even an R D-type body, which came out for years too late and still does not match up with the Sony offerings...well, it's just not going to happen. I have too much sunk cost in Sony, just as I have in the Canon EF system, to move into a third pro system (which still does not have the requisite stable of long glass). I can support two pro systems, but not three.

With the Metabones adapter, I can use my Canon glass with performance almost as good as natively, and now Sony has long glass equalling the Canon glass. Not sure what an argument to drop Sony and follow the R system would look like, but I doubt it would work for me. For others, it might be just the ticket.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
While I truly laud Canon for getting into a pro-body mirrorless system, for me, it is too little, too late. As a working pro with a huge investment in EF L glass and 1D bodies (including the 1D XII), I added the Sony Alpha system in 2015 after finding the EF-M system only suitable for 'grabbing' images with a lighter back up (though I must admit the EF to EF-M adapter worked with the large glass quite well). I was very interested in what mirrorless could offer, but the EF-M just fell short.

Now, four years later I have four Sony alphas (a7RII, a7SII, a7RIII, and a9) and they all function better with the EF L glass using the Metabones adapter than do the M bodies. Far better, as the Sony bodies are technologically vastly superior. Last month Sony announced the 200-400mm and the 600mm super telephotos, and my pre-order is already in place. A former Canon pro shooter who sold me on the Sony with the Metabones back in 2015 whilst on a trip to Svalbard has field tested this new Sony glass and he raves about them. "As good, if not better, than my 200-400 w/1/4x and 600mm LII, with an adapter or natively on my D XI." I have the 200-400mm /1.4x and a 600mm L, so this translates for me quite nicely.

I still use my Canon bodies and glass, as there is really no equivalent—from a weatherproof point-of-view—than the X bodies. However, for Canon to expect me to invest in their R system, even an R D-type body, which came out for years too late and still does not match up with the Sony offerings...well, it's just not going to happen. I have too much sunk cost in Sony, just as I have in the Canon EF system, to move into a third pro system (which still does not have the requisite stable of long glass). I can support two pro systems, but not three.

With the Metabones adapter, I can use my Canon glass with performance almost as good as natively, and now Sony has long glass equalling the Canon glass. Not sure what an argument to drop Sony and follow the R system would look like, but I doubt it would work for me. For others, it might be just the ticket.

Ooh. Another 'I'm new here paid Sony Troll?

Upvote 0
No, you bloody idiot, I am NOT another paid Sony troll. I have been using Canon equipment since 1983...probably before you were born or while you were still on your mother's hind tit...and I still have, and use, my F1 from 1985. I have invested more money in Canon equipment over the years than you probably earned from photography in a lifetime.

I simply stated that Sony is years ahead of Canon—a marque which I truly love and will continue to use—when it comes to mirrorless, and I was an enthusiastic adopter of Canon mirrorless. I own the M1, M2, M3, M5 and M6, along with every EF-M lens Canon produced. The simple fact is that the R offering from Canon is dated, and years behind Sony. Period. They haven't caught up and are unlikely to in the next few years.

Will Canon catch Sony eventually? Sure, I bet they will. But I have too much invested in Canon EF and Sony E to wait for them.

That does not make me a paid, or unpaid, shill for Sony. It makes me a realist. Canon makes the best DSLRs in the world, IMHO. Unfortunately, this success and technology does not translate into the mirrorless world. One day it might; I hold no doubts about the technological prowess of Canon. However, they are not there yet, and I simply cannot justify jumping on the R System boat when it is naught but a canoe and Sony's alpha line is a F1 speedboat.

Who is the shill here? Methinks it is you, as "...doth Lady protest too much..."

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
No, you bloody idiot, I am NOT another paid Sony troll. I have been using Canon equipment since 1983...probably before you were born or while you were still on your mother's hind tit...and I still have, and use, my F1 from 1985. I have invested more money in Canon equipment over the years than you probably earned from photography in a lifetime.

I simply stated that Sony is years ahead of Canon—a marque which I truly love and will continue to use—when it comes to mirrorless, and I was an enthusiastic adopter of Canon mirrorless. I own the M1, M2, M3, M5 and M6, along with every EF-M lens Canon produced. The simple fact is that the R offering from Canon is dated, and years behind Sony. Period. They haven't caught up and are unlikely to in the next few years.

Will Canon catch Sony eventually? Sure, I bet they will. But I have too much invested in Canon EF and Sony E to wait for them.

That does not make me a paid, or unpaid, shill for Sony. It makes me a realist. Canon makes the best DSLRs in the world, IMHO. Unfortunately, this success and technology does not translate into the mirrorless world. One day it might; I hold no doubts about the technological prowess of Canon. However, they are not there yet, and I simply cannot justify jumping on the R System boat when it is naught but a canoe and Sony's alpha line is a F1 speedboat.

Who is the shill here? Methinks it is you, as "...doth Lady protest too much..."

But I have used sonys with metabones adapters. They are sub par at best. Yes. They work. But not at 'near native' standards. Nowhere near. And sorry for the insult. But this forum seems to attract a lot of 'I'm new here' members that post long rants about the brilliance and functionality of Sony. You fit that bill perfectly. I am sceptical of your claims.
And don't misunderstand me. I think Sony make great specced cameras. The A9 is incredible. Still crap to hold but some awesome features. I am no shill. I am not anti Sony. Just over the rants that are very selective and very annoying. Especially when the thread is NOT ABOUT SONY!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But I have used sonys with metabones adapters. They are sub par at best. Yes. They work. But not at 'near native' standards. Nowhere near. And sorry for the insult. But this forum seems to attract a lot of 'I'm new here' members that post long rants about the brilliance and functionality of Sony. You fit that bill perfectly. I am sceptical of your claims.
And don't misunderstand me. I think Sony make great specced cameras. The A9 is incredible. Still crap to hold but some awesome features. I am no shill. I am not anti Sony. Just over the rants that are very selective and very annoying
I used Sony with Metabones adapters when I was using Canon and Sigma glass. I also have a large stable of Sony glass, and finally they are coming out with long glass.

Yes, the Sonys with the Metabones are not the same as a Canon with the same lines used natively, but they are damned close. Any idiot except you would get that, bit you were too eager to cast aspersions about me being a shill, without any foundation whatsoever. Foundation...that means 'facts', just in case you didn't know.

However, there is no Canon body which shoots 20fps whilst maintaining autofocus on the eye. None. Period. With the new firmware release, the a9 does this even with the Metabones and my 200-400 w/1.4x.

Where is the Rf lens for that? It does NOT exist. Where is the R body to match an a9 or...hell, even an old 1 Ds III or 1D IV? It does not exist.

These are facts. They do not require a shill to point them out as facts. They are self-evident. Check Canon's own specs to prove the point. I did not make any 'claims' for which you to be [sceptical] of. (It's actually spelled 'skeptical'. You cannot use spell-check yet you seem to have the ability to read between the lines. Interesting. There are openings at the NSA.)

If, in 2015, Canon had released a mirrorless body equal to the a7RII, I would have never, ever bought the Sony. But Canon did not produce such a body. And Canon still has not produced such a body. And for me, it is too late.

Maybe not for you, and perhaps not for may others. Others will find, or have found, the Sony system compelling. Others will move to the Canon R platform when and if they produce such a body equal to what Sony has produced since 2015.

But to label anyone who incorporated the Sony platform back in 2015 a shill is unfair, untrue, and exposes your deficiencies in applying logic and critical thinking. That translates into 'idiot.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I used Sony with Metabones adapters when I was using Canon and Sigma glass. I also have a large stable of Sony glass, and finally they are coming out with long glass.

Yes, the Sonys with the Metabones are not the same as a Canon with the same lines used natively, but they are damned close. Any idiot except you would get that, bit you were too eager to cast aspersions about me being a shill, without any foundation whatsoever. Foundation...that means 'facts', just in case you didn't know.

However, there is no Canon body which shoots 20fps whilst maintaining autofocus on the eye. None. Period. With the new firmware release, the a9 does this even with the Metabones and my 200-400 w/1.4x.

Where is the Rf lens for that? It does NOT exist. Where is the R body to match an a9 or...hell, even an old 1 Ds III or 1D IV? It does not exist.

These are facts. They do not require a shill to point them out as facts. They are self-evident. Check Canon's own specs to prove the point. I did not make any 'claims' for which you to be [sceptical] of. (It's actually spelled 'skeptical'. You cannot use spell-check yet you seem to have the ability to read between the lines. Interesting. There are openings at the NSA.)

If, in 2015, Canon had released a mirrorless body equal to the a7RII, I would have never, ever bought the Sony. But Canon did not produce such a body. And Canon still has not produced such a body. And for me, it is too late.

Maybe not for you, and perhaps not for may others. Others will find, or have found, the Sony system compelling. Others will move to the Canon R platform when and if they produce such a body equal to what Sony has produced since 2015.

But to label anyone who incorporated the Sony platform back in 2015 a shill is unfair, untrue, and exposes your deficiencies in applying logic and critical thinking. That translates into 'idiot.'
The 'fact' is that you come onto a thread about the future canon 1dx3 and have a rant about how and why you went to Sony. NO ONE CARES!!! Heres a thought. Start your own thread in the 'third party' section and post about your move as much as you want. That way the rest of us won't have to constantly trawl through a thread to fine relevant information instead of stuff we don't care about. Your move is not interesting. And no. The metabones adapters i have used on sonys for canon lenses are not nearly as good as native. Not in my books.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Man, it’s a real mood killer to find all this d@mn Sony cr@p in EVERY thread here these days... and I’m also in the crowd that seriously don’t care... I’ve used Sony’s like most other brands and different models. Would I really be following CR if I would like Sony better than Canon?

This has always been the nicest forum I’ve used, nearly always very polite members, even when we don’t agree, no name calling etc. Always learning and enjoying. So to those who can’t join in like that; get lost...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The 'fact' is that you come onto a thread about the future canon 1dx3 and have a rant about how and why you went to Sony. NO ONE CARES!!! Heres a thought. Start your own thread in the 'third party' section and post about your move as much as you want. That way the rest of us won't have to constantly trawl through a thread to fine relevant information instead of stuff we don't care about. Your move is not interesting. And no. The metabones adapters i have used on sonys for canon lenses are not nearly as good as native. Not in my books.
I always believed they taught people how to read in Australia. This thread is NOT about a future 1dx3, but about "Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought" which would be, I expect, an R body.

My post was simply to state an opinion for my situation that this offering, if and when it comes to see the light of day, would be too little and too late as I have too much sunk costs in Canon and Sony.

If you don't like my posts, please feel free to not read them. I do not recall sending you a PM to read my posts. It would behoove all of us if you would simply ignore what you don't like, refrain from accusations and verbal abuse, and just shut up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
reported

If you don't like my posts, please feel free to not read them. I do not recall sending you a PM to read my posts. It would behoove all of us if you would simply ignore what you don't like, refrain from accusations and verbal abuse, and just shut the f^&k up.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014

This didn’t sound like a troll post to me. Just a polite description as to why he switched to Sony. The troll posts are the ones that tell us we’re stupid for sticking with canon, or that canon is doomed.

Shame the conversation devolved.

Best trick? If you think someone is a troll, don’t feed them. Then the conversation remains polite for everyone else.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I always believed they taught people how to read in Australia. This thread is NOT about a future 1dx3, but about "Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought" which would be, I expect, an R body.

My post was simply to state an opinion for my situation that this offering, if and when it comes to see the light of day, would be too little and too late as I have too much sunk costs in Canon and Sony.

If you don't like my posts, please feel free to not read them. I do not recall sending you a PM to read my posts. It would behoove all of us if you would simply ignore what you don't like, refrain from accusations and verbal abuse, and just shut up.
The problem is not that we have to read posts unrelated to the topic. And believe me your entering into the Sony system is completely unrelated to the topic. The problem is that people who are interested in the actual topic have to trawl through all the BS 'Why I switched to sony' posts. Your opinion as to why you went to sony is no about a future 1dx3 equivalent. It is about your desire to be noticed. Your switch is not interesting. It is not relevant. And we don't care. If you want a pat on the back for doing so or for others to hold you in awe then start a specific thread in the relevant parts of the forum or go to the Sony forums where you will encounter plenty of people just like yourself. If you post here stick to the topic.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
You must be new here.
Touche! New compared to many. True. Long enough however to be well and truly over being so graciously informed about how, when, where and why someone decided to buy into the Sony system when I am trying to get to information that is relevant to the thread I am reading. In this case the future mirrorless pro canon. A camera which I will be in no position to buy of course but any information on this camera will likely give me an inkling into the general future direction and capabilities of all future canon mirrorless cameras

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
If Canon released a 1D-X body along with the mirror equivalent, can we assume they’ll use the same batteries? I feel like Canon has an opportunity to introduce a new battery format (higher capacity, better tech) along with these new flagships. I would think additional connectivity, USB charging, GPS tagging, and an indestructible fixed screen are in order. I’m torn between illuminated buttons as I often learn the location by memory in the dark, but I would welcome a low power, dimmable solution for this. Even a way to change the UI to night mode would be helpful for my work.

Fast primes declicked for occasional video work are wanted. I don’t mind cropping if electronic, mirror, and lens stabilization are working in concert. The stabilization duo on my EOS R works brilliantly, and I’d love to see that feature on the flagship along with stills. Bracketing intervalometer settings would also be welcome.

A truly revolutionary idea that I haven’t seen done yet with EVF, is allowing the viewfinder to tilt up for studio or field work. This would be great on the higher resolution edition but not the field workhorses. I really don’t see value on a rugged body, to having the screen articulate. A wind storm knocked over my 5Dmk4 body which would have been rendered useless if the screen was sticking out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
WOW, wouldn't that be amazing! BTW, what's your track record on predictions - can you offer us a % figure?;)

:confused::(:cry:

Jack

2 out of 300 or about 0.6% (i.e. less than one percent!)

1) The Canon C700 I got spot on.

2) a new 60 fps 50 megapixel MF camera and a 2/3rds inch Smartphone which will ALSO be spot on....

and after that? You shall see soon enough!

Upvote 0