Canon’s new instant cameras have leaked ahead of launch

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
I personally love my Fuji Instax Square SQ6. This is the basic non-hybrid version.

I wish the lens wasn’t f/12 and the light meter wasn’t wonky but otherwise it shoots good photos.

Jan 15, 2019
I don't know what the Fuji Instax spec is, but f/2.2 for this seems impressive to me.
The Fuji cameras are f/2.4. But that doesn't really buy you much in low light. The jpgs produced by the camera show heavy-handed noise reduction and crude sharpening, presumably to overcome tiny-sensor captures that are very noisy.

I notice Fuji also makes a printer for cell phones.
With some hassle, you can import jpgs made on other cameras, or even from film scans (I've done it!) to the Fuji SQ10 (and I presume the SQ20 as well) and use it as an Instax printer. It will be interesting to see whether Canon will allow the same, and whether it will require jumping through as many hoops to get it to work well.

Reactions: Bahrd

Ale_F

6D 7D
Nov 22, 2018
keep in mind that this camera is not thinked to 5DmkIV + 24-70f2.8 users. They are useful for phone shooter that usually don't print or loose photo.

Reactions: Mistral75

powershot2012

EOS RP
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah seems once again Sony caught them by surprise with the RX100 VI.

I've given up on it for this year. Seems like they're still trying to offload a large inventory of Mark II cameras and won't release it until they're below a certain number.

LDS

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 14, 2012
It will be interesting to see whether Canon will allow the same, and whether it will require jumping through as many hoops to get it to work well.
I think the 2in1 models will be exactly that - I beileve they will both act as instant cameras and printers for other devices. But I may be wrong.

dirtyvu

I'm New Here
Jan 7, 2019
I wonder how many sheets this can hold and whether Canon is handling the software or just rebranding the Zink software. I have the Polaroid Zink printer (all the Zink printers are the same and just have rebranded software apparently) and really like it. It bluetooth pairs to smartphones and everyone loves it when we take pics and print out right away. My issue with the Polaroid software was it doesn't label the filters so it makes it really annoying to find the right filter for the pic. It wouldn't be such a problem if the color between the screen and printout matched but it doesn't. And that's the other main issue with the Zink printers: the colors don't particularly match well which kind of defeats the purpose of filters. Sometimes when we're doing group pics, we'll do a number of prints with different filters and then people pick.