Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been told by a source with a pretty good track record (but not perfect) what we can expect the rest of the way from Canon in 2019.
First up, it’s not a secret anymore, but we’re going to get the Canon EOS 90D, a camera that will apparently replace both the EOS 80D and the EOS 7D Mark II. With the latter line being killed off by Canon.
We’re told to expect an announcement near the end of August.
Apparently, a new EOS M body will come at the same time. It has been described to use as “very well specced” and “aggressively price”, with Canon wanting to show that the EOS M lineup isn’t dead. No specifications were provided to us.

No other EOS M cameras or lenses are scheduled for 2019.
What about the EOS R system?
The same source tells us that a new EOS R camera is coming later in 2019 and that it is a “head scratcher”...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Not sure of the technical needs for this, but I'd love to see a larger sensor body that could work with the R lenses? Maybe via an in-body optical converter to increase the image circle? Again, I have no idea if this is physically possible, but a Fuji-type medium format body would be absolutely killer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So far EOS R line is sinking so bad. looks like nothing could save it. Maybe Canon has a plan to keep DSLR afloat for much longer. Beware, Nokia and Motorola, Canon can't wait to join you in the afterlife.
If you are going to troll, as least try to be credible. All indications are that the R line is doing just fine.

Reactions: 21 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I know it's useless to try to tamp down expectations, but remember, a "head scratcher" could mean something that the forum world thinks is ridiculous and is not necessarily something that people on a geek forum think they want.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
So far EOS R line is sinking so bad. looks like nothing could save it. Maybe Canon has a plan to keep DSLR afloat for much longer. Beware, Nokia and Motorola, Canon can't wait to join you in the afterlife.
Seriously? Have you used an R or RP camera and RF lens in action? What did you find so damning? I love my RP, even with a few shortcomings acceptable at that price point, and on adapter I get superb pictures in often challenging conditions using my EF lenses.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Seriously? Have you used an R or RP camera and RF lens in action? What did you find so damning? I love my RP, even with a few shortcomings acceptable at that price point, and on adapter I get superb pictures in often challenging conditions using my EF lenses.
Nope. He hasn't used it. He has no idea about sales figures either. Sometimes people just like to make things up.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I love my RP, it's been living with my 85 1.4 IS. It goes with me everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
So far EOS R line is sinking so bad. looks like nothing could save it. Maybe Canon has a plan to keep DSLR afloat for much longer.

Genius! All ILCs up till now have been heavier than water, an issue that has proven costly to many a careless photographer. Canon is going to launch a revolutionary (remember, that's what the "R" means!) R body that literally keeps afloat!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
If you are going to troll, as least try to be credible. All indications are that the R line is doing just fine.
Well, let's be honest, this article of rumor mill is a head-scratching narrative. Any rumor is gonna be head-scratching: isnt that sort-of the definition of "rumor"?!?! The author seems to be very desperate of having contents.

Upvote 0