Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

You nailed it. This is exactly what I tell people why I still prefer DSLRs for wildlife shooting.
Obviously you have not used a Sony with the newer Z battery. I get all day on my Sony battery, FF mirrorless. Actively Shoot 1200 shots during a game, with IBS and lens OS running and still have over 50% battery remaining, seriously over 50%. Add a grip and now you have 2 batteries I could shoot for days. This is not an exaggeration, it is reality. I am not a Sony fanboy, I just moved where the technology that meets my needs is. I will always have s soft spot for Canon, my first SLR was a T-50, its where I learned about photography. Kind of why I still come to this site. I want to see what Canon does next.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Some very interesting ideas from everyone, though the description of a "head scratcher" doesn't fit most of them for me. A lot of them are some nice wish list cameras. When I think "head scratcher" as far as a release goes, I think of either something that's so close to what they have already put out that it makes little sense to be a thing, or something that seems kind of ridiculous.

Whoever mentioned slotting a model between the R and RP would fit the first category.

Not sure what I would think of as ridiculous any more. Maybe a gold plated R promoted by a Vegas DJ.

Or, maybe I'm overthinking the "head scratcher" angle.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Take this with sarcasm but something that no one is expecting.. I'm going to assume the worst. haha I think ever since joining the forum, there hasn't been too many revolutionary cameras since the 5D3 and M5 imo. RF is really neat but in it's infancy. I'm just going to expect nothing. It's pretty clear that Canon isn't interested in offering 4K like some of us would like to see. This isn't the higher end body either so.. :)

Upvote 0
If you can tether your camera to your smartphone, you don't need to look/wait for WiFi hotspot. You can just use LTE.

But then you can use an app in your phone and don't need an app in your camera.

I can speak for the tethering ability of my 7D- II. It's a DISASTER. For people who enjoy spinning dials and fumbling through menus it could have been pleasurable but even then half the time it doesn't connect. It's not what I want to do when I am traveling. The Panasonic S1 which I have had for several weeks is worlds better but still requires juggling multiple devices and diving through menus.

In a well thought out device the UX should be clean and free of menu jail. For example if the camera app is running in the background on my phone and my phone is in the vicinity of the camera when it's turned on, a dialog could pop up on my phone asking if I want to connect. If I say yes , the next screen should display all the photos on my card. Just skip all the intermediate steps. But of course it isn't implemented like that - not on my 7d2 ; not on the S1. Copy this from here, copy that from there. Scan this. Scan that. Go through menus. And finally see the pics on your card if you are lucky. That's why I brought up the Apple example. Apple understands User Experience (UX). They know what a user intends to do and they take the user there in the quickest , least cumbersome way.

Better yet would be to skip the phone altogether and to go straight to the app on the camera, if there were one. Camera CEO's complain about phones taking away their business. Perhaps they should be asking why that is the case. Could it be because phones offer a vastly better user experience than cameras ? Like click a photo and share it within seconds. If they focused more on such things over improving their DR by a quarter of an EV or adding 10 more MP to their sensors maybe they would sell a lot more cameras.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Obviously you have not used a Sony with the newer Z battery. I get all day on my Sony battery, FF mirrorless. Actively Shoot 1200 shots during a game, with IBS and lens OS running and still have over 50% battery remaining, seriously over 50%. Add a grip and now you have 2 batteries I could shoot for days. This is not an exaggeration, it is reality. I am not a Sony fanboy, I just moved where the technology that meets my needs is. I will always have s soft spot for Canon, my first SLR was a T-50, its where I learned about photography. Kind of why I still come to this site. I want to see what Canon does next.
No, that's true. I played with different Sony A7 models some years ago because I was quite excited about Sony's innovative drive. But I didn't like the ergonomics and the EVFs then - which have massively improved now. I also prefer to shoot stills, not video, otherwise I would have definitely changed to Sony. I am fully aware that the time of digital mirror slappers is nearly over now, and I will not miss them if ML technology is mature enough (including fast electronic shutters). Especially for birding (not my only interest) I simply need a camera with which I can track, with a 500+ mm tele lens, a fast flying bird and get decent in-focus results. Birds are much more a challenge for the AF system than sports, because contrasts and contours are often softer. Until now, a good DSLRs does this job quite well, so I didn't want to change the gear which I know will serve me.

In fact, for me, digital photography is mature when good light-field cameras are available,providing the ability to re-focus and change the depth of field by post-processing, no need for any AF system anymore. But that's still a dream...

My first camera was a Kodak Retina IIIc, already vintage then, got it refurbished some years ago. Later I changed to a Nikon FM-2. Both fully manual cameras trained my skills the hard way ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Unfortunately, the 645Z has the same MF crop sensor used in the Fujis and Hasselblad X1D - you have to go really expensive to get the 6x4.5 (ish) sensors:
Hasselblad H6D-400c: 100MP 53.4 x 40.0mm CMOS Sensor https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...013775_h6d_400c_multi_shot_medium_format.html
vs.
Pentax 645Z: 51.4MP CMOS Sensor - 43.8 x 32.8 mm https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1045517-REG/pentax_16599_645z_digital_slr_camera.html
Fuji GFX 50S: 51.4MP 43.8 x 32.9mm CMOS Sensor https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1283336-REG/fujifilm_gfx_50s_medium_format.html
Hasselblad X1D: 50MP 43.8 x 32.9mm CMOS Sensor https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...A=details&Q=&sku=1260272&is=REG&fromDisList=y - interestingly, this one is marked as "discontinued" - perhaps there is something new coming from Hasselblad in the low-cost MF space?
Ah, thanks. I always thought that the digital Pentax is true 60mm x 45mm ... yes I read that the Hassi X1D is discontinued, too.

Well, when I want MF I do it like you, I grab my Mamiya, shoot film, develop it and scan it with a film scanner.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The Pentax 645Z is not 6x4.5. It's 44x33. The same size, and actually the same sensor, as the Hasselblad X1D and Fuji GFX 50's.

Which, of course, is the same sensor size and sensor used by several current Phase one and Hasslblad H6D cameras. Cameras which those companies had no trouble marketing as "medium format" until they had some actual competition in the space.
Yes, thanks for correcting me, I always thought the Pentax 645Z is true 645. Well, making big bug free sensors is still extremely expensive I guess.

Upvote 0
Yes, thanks for correcting me, I always thought the Pentax 645Z is true 645. Well, making big bug free sensors is still extremely expensive I guess.
Understandable given the name. I guess they were trying to capitalize on the name recognition and lens mount of their film 6x4.5 system.

I like my Mamiya film cameras and still use them occasionally but there is no way in the world that even my best 70mm film images could compete with the resolution and color fidelity of the new large sensor cameras being released. Luckily for my budget I don't really need that kind of IQ.

Personally I wouldn't get to hung up on the "real" medium format thing. That Fujifilm GFX 100 and the soon to be announced Hasselblad 102MP X1D are going to be show-stoppers for IQ. Fighting about what to call them is just misdirection from the IQ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Yes, considering that the RP is a entry level FF, there are no entry level zoom lenses to go with it. However, it works great with existing EF and EF-s lenses as well as manual lenses from film cameras. so there are more potential lenses that can be haad for very little $$.
I've yet to justify buying a RF lenses for my R, since it shares lenses with my 5D MK IV.
Some places are selling the RP bundled with the EF 24-105 f3.5-5.6 and the RF 24-105 f4 has been about $900, about as little as you are going to pay for a f4 24-105. As you say, there are other less expensive choices as well

Upvote 0
Let me translate that for you based upon your track record...

White Hello Kitty (available in Japan only)

---

Out of 200 or so predictions, I've gotten ONE RIGHT (i.e. Canon C700) !!! That is a 0.5% hit rate which A LOT BETTER than the lottery!

To me Canon's NEXT cameras are:

XC-15 style body with 24 megapixel stills/4K 60 fps 4:2:2 video on APS-C sensor in my opinion! Announcement in January with Sales in June!

AND

an Action Cam 4K with 24mm lens NOT a fisheye! Announcement AT ANY TIME from today until January 2020
a 1/200 hit rate on rumours gotten right actually ain't that bad from a STATISTICAL point of view!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't care about it either. But hundreds of thousands / millions do. They travel on vacation, stay at AirBnB's or hotels most of which have wi-fi , and at the end of each day they typically want to upload the day's pics to instagram or other social media sites. If they could do it directly from their camera when they were in a wifi zone instead of downloading to a laptop first it would be of tremendous value. But unlike Apple, Canon, or to be fair most Japanese companies, are not in the business of improving user experience. They are focused on one upping each other with irrelevant technical specs. The user experience is an afterthought. On the other hand if Apple - and I am no fan of Apple - were to design a mirrorless camera you can bet the first things they would be thinking of would be about making users lives easier.
Don't know about that. I find the user experience with my Japanese products to be very nice. Probably why Japanese products are highly sought after, including Kobe beef. ;) I don't want to care about Instagram, unfortunately, I have to. I've yet to find an app that will allow me to upload photos to Instagram from my PC or laptop. I have to send the photos to my Dropbox first, then upload them to my phone for Instagram.

Upvote 0
Don't know about that. I find the user experience with my Japanese products to be very nice. Probably why Japanese products are highly sought after, including Kobe beef. ;) I don't want to care about Instagram, unfortunately, I have to. I've yet to find an app that will allow me to upload photos to Instagram from my PC or laptop. I have to send the photos to my Dropbox first, then upload them to my phone for Instagram.

I used this method for a while. Sometimes you have to refresh your browser for the + button to appear:
https://www.tomango.co.uk/thinks/post-to-instagram-desktop-chrome-pc-mac/

Now I have a Surface which lets me post straight through the app, since Instagram sees it has a camera. I know, weird.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

Fuji GFX 50S: 51.4MP 43.8 x 32.9mm CMOS Sensor https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1283336-REG/fujifilm_gfx_50s_medium_format.html
Hasselblad X1D: 50MP 43.8 x 32.9mm CMOS Sensor https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...A=details&Q=&sku=1260272&is=REG&fromDisList=y - interestingly, this one is marked as "discontinued" - perhaps there is something new coming from Hasselblad in the low-cost MF space?

https://photorumors.com/2019/05/28/...ra-registered-with-another-government-agency/

Upvote 0

jcfalconer

Falconer
Sep 13, 2014
Interesting times! A fixed lends R? Infrared? Dedicated video R? Cinema R?
I think you might be on to something with the video or cinema R. Perhaps a body with only a medium resolution (eg. 24 megapixel) sensor but is capable of uncropped 4K resolution video which so many folks seem to be yearning for. Unfortunately, I am not one of them.

Upvote 0