Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

My guess, and it's only a guess - a Canon Rb, a modest upgrade to the R with joystick and dual slots, and other interface tweaks, and some modest improvements to the camera based on customer needs/wants and technological capability.
I’ve used the R with touchscreen for months after years of the joystick. So done with the joystick! Good riddance!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
One thing that I didn't see mentioned that I just thought of may be that Canon may try to do with the RP that they did with the m5 and M6. remove the EVF and make it as small as possible (and as cheap).
That would be super great! Especialy with the upcoming quite small lenses this would be a great package.
Imagine Canon 5d IV Image-quality (maybe a bit improved) in a body thats just a little bit bigger than a m6. And than an ultra compact 35mm or 50mm pancake f2 or something. That would be awesome for travel. I totaly love the 5d IV but its quite some size and weight for longer trips...

Upvote 0
Don't think Canon ever said, "A sexy solution that doesn't require adapters." Canon said, "Elegant" I believe. Never said no adapters. Seems the solution is seamless and elegant, to me, with zero loss of IQ. Your lenses aren't obsolete. If you think so, you can mail them to me. :) I'll take those obsolete and worthless lenses. I'll even pay shipping. $20 sound okay?
I thought using that empty space in the adapter for filters was quite elegant, myself. Creating an adapter with a control ring so an EF lens can be operated as an RF seemed quite elegant as well. Too bad neither of those things count as innovation. Canon never innovates, you know.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
I would buy an EOS Ra for astrophotography. Especially one that has H-alpha sensitivity while still providing useful color for daytime photography. But we’re leaving out the true head-scratcher specification: a 10MP full-frame sensor.

Not only would this provide nice big pixels for good low-light sensitivity, it would allow for full-width native-resolution 4K video. DPAF. No compromise on the AA filter. No moire effects. Insane high-ISO performance for not only framing astrophotos but filming video in near darkness. There’s a synergy here! The astronomer’s camera is also the videographer’s camera.

Take my money, Canon!

Completely clean at 102k iso, and useable at iso 4million, yeah, I would consider that.

Upvote 0

jtf

Mar 22, 2019
Just my opinion on the EOS R ergonomics. I'm left handed, left eyed, and 6'4". I have no issues with the touch screen focusing. I have yet to refocus with my nose. I have yet to accidentally turn on the function bar with my larger than average hands. I love the customability of the buttons. I have the 3 buttons on the top right back set up for back button focus, return to center focus and focus square adjustment with the dials. So my thumb is usually hanging around the AF ON or the touch screen.

I'm not interested in a head scratcher camera at this point. Canon Rumors has already mentioned a sports oriented R is probably coming in 2020. That's what I'm looking for to replace my aging 7D.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
Always interested in comments like this. Specifically what for and what flashes would you hope to use at that speed?
Outdoors, to get the sunlit areas to -1 stop or so. Transistor controled (SCR) strobes have a short flash duration at low power so it can work. At high shutter speeds you don't need anywhere near the flash power you'd need at low shutter speeds to get the same result. If you can get into the range of battery strobes then much less gear needs to be brought!

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Canon could make showoff camera powershot G9 sized R ILC with medium format sensor :p good spare camera
Now if LCD is away ,back wall and sensor together could be 0,5cm thick +2cm flange distance 2,5cm body thickness.
28 mm pancace lense would be like 3cm? ,now lens mount could have in retreating screw construction what makes it 1cm shorter when power off so over all thickness 4,5cm.
Wievfinder should be placed left corner then nose would be free left side of camera and no back construction needed.
Look sony full frame camera and you see how sensor is stuffed inside mount not any space wasted .
If canon stuffs sensor like sony it would be 4cm x 2,9cm sensor ,so medium format :)
If only single shot camera no needing space taking computer stuff so much.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
Hmm, maybe an "R-f" retrostyled Rangefinder styled R mount body with a plain Tiltscreen screen, not fully articulated, with an ovf/evf, and joystick. The current RP is practically flat on the top midplate, all they need to do is shift it to the left and call it a different model.
I'd love to have the viewfinder all the way to the left like a rangefinder, dammit! There is no prism, so no reason it can't be on the side so my nose has somewhere to be! If they want 'traditional' styling, the R should be rangefinder styling not SLR... they look that way because the prism/mirror box require it not because it's better in some other way.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
One could use any flash. I would be delighted to sync at larger apertures in bright sun. Flash fill is a beautiful thing.
Yup, my impression though that PBD was referring to a lack of flash units strobes currently available that are capable of syncing at 1/500 sec speed that’s HSS apart. I may be mistaken as never researched that matter. I am pretty sure current Godox units are not 1/500 sec sync speed capable. This likely can be addressed in a future.

Upvote 0