Canon #1 in Japanese market share for both DSLR and mirrorless in 2018

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
canon looks just bad atm 1d 7d and 5d are old cameras and other cameras are pretty much consumer level,where sensor must be made cheap.

If only there was a dis-like button for your post... The 1dx2 is still one of the top cameras on the market, especially for video. 5d4 isn't bad. And there is a thing called product life cycle. We just happen to be on the latter half of their product cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What are you talking about? When it comes to ILCs, Sony is Minolta, one of The Big Three (and you know the other two).

My first foray into digital cameras was the 10D which eventually led to a long run with Canon up until the 1DX, although I was shooting in parallel a D3 when Nikon shifted over to CMOS from CCD. Minolta was late into the DSLR game and never fully caught up to Nikon and Canon and was never quite on my radar. Even though Sony acquired Minolta and started their ‎α system with backwards compatibility, all of their initial releases were targeted at the entry/mid level market for quite some time. By 2007, I already had my 1D3 on order and there was nothing remotely close from Sony. My perception of Sony at that time was more of a consumer electronics company and less of a serious camera manufacturer. So Minolta might have been one of the big three, but they were never on par with the more established players in the DSLR era. The selling off of assets and transition to Sony while Nikon/Canon continued to build momentum didn't help either.

Have you considered other explanations? Such as: Canon's sensor tech is fine, what we see in the "quite a number of reviews" is the price Canon's sensors need to pay for DPAF and Canon's stubborn reliance on its own fabs for its DSP chips?

I'm not positing that Canon needs to do anything to improve their sensors or meet the "competition's" spec sheet. They are fine what they are doing today and are selling cameras well. Canon has a made a decision to forge ahead along a certain path, and they've accepted the related press that follows.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
If only there was a dis-like button for your post... The 1dx2 is still one of the top cameras on the market, especially for video. 5d4 isn't bad. And there is a thing called product life cycle. We just happen to be on the latter half of their product cycle.
Yes i was just telling why they dont be as superior as they should. Making mirrorless opening slows down their top model updates too. When sony can make new updates every year. and they need do too if they want catch canon someday.
Sorry if it sounded like something wrong on top canons .They should be still best cameras around.

Upvote 0
I think the mistake is equating the number of a persons "followers" and "likes" on a website with popularity, agreement, accuracy, or (most importantly) relevance. It's real easy to click "follow" and never see that website again. To me, the best gauge of whether or not a company is hitting the bulls-eye for what people want and desire is sales. It matters not what Sony feature is the latest craze, if people ain't buying it, people don't care about it... no matter what the internet reviewers ($reviewing for clicks$) say. In the internet review world, controversy = money. In the camera sales world: Creating a product the vast majority want = money. There's a vast difference between the two.

Canon ain't the slouch many would have others believe.

I think I've covered this already, but all personalities or reviewers have their own agendas, but the end product is what you see in the public domain for better or worse depending on where you stand. We can't control the dialog, but i'm not sure I would label all of them controversial or biased. You can choose to listen to the dialog or not, but if you do, you can determine if the criticism is fair and weigh your own opinions from there. Personally, the best gauge of whether a company is hitting the bulls-eye for me is whether those products fit my requirements. There is a vast difference between a company's market share and how well it is suited for my own needs!

Btw, nice photo. I don't shoot stills much anymore, but I always respect people shooting with off camera lighting because I know how much work it is lugging around heavy pelican cases and balancing light setups. I was always conflicted whether to bring a bag of strobes or wheel around the ranger pack. I did plenty of that back in my strobist days..

Upvote 0
Who says that? I’ve seen widespread acknowledgement on CR that Canon sensors have been behind others on a selected few metrics (low ISO DR, readout speed) for years. So it seems you’re reluctant to acknowledge your own strawman argument, I guess that’s a good thing?

The discussion didn't really start this way. I was commenting on dtaylor's post about his/her ambivalence towards Canon sensor criticism. So my argument was strictly in response to that, but I may have unintentionally expanded the scope of the argument to include others that do not belong in successive replies. This I can acknowledge and retract accordingly.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I think I've covered this already, but all personalities or reviewers have their own agendas, but the end product is what you see in the public domain for better or worse depending on where you stand. We can't control the dialog, but i'm not sure I would label all of them controversial or biased. You can choose to listen to the dialog or not, but if you do, you can determine if the criticism is fair and weigh your own opinions from there. Personally, the best gauge of whether a company is hitting the bulls-eye for me is whether those products fit my requirements. There is a vast difference between a company's market share and how well it is suited for my own needs!

Btw, nice photo. I don't shoot stills much anymore, but I always respect people shooting with off camera lighting because I know how much work it is lugging around heavy pelican cases and balancing light setups. I was always conflicted whether to bring a bag of strobes or wheel around the ranger pack. I did plenty of that back in my strobist days..
Thanks, but there was no flash used in the photo. :)

Upvote 0