Canon 10-18 mm f/4.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM - IS broken?

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014
Hey guys, maybe you could help me.

I've received today Canon 10-18 mm f/4.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM and started to take pictures rightaway with 7d2 (100d hasn't arrived yet). I realized there is literally no difference between IS on and off. Anyone who owns that lens can tell me if it should make some sounds while IS is active (half pressed shutter button) and if there is visible lag (compensating for ie. shake) with IS on? With this copy there is no sound with or without IS, it reacts to even little shake and move right away - but it's hard to tell with its short focal length :) it's so bloody wide. Does anyone had similar problem with canon IS lens?

TIA

Dec 10, 2012
I've owned the lens for several months and I've never been able to hear the IS sound. Nevertheless, it appears to work just fine. I think the reality is that there isn't a lot of camera shake to compensate for with such a small lens and such wide focal lengths. Put it in M and take a few pictures at ever increasing shutter speeds until the image is very noticeably blurry. Then repeat with IS off. If you don't see any difference, then maybe consider sending it into Canon for a check up?

Upvote 0