Canon 10-22 vs 10-18

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
10-18 seems to be a little sharper with better contrast on the wide end with wide open aperture, but that's not a fair comparision, since 10-22 is 2/3 stop faster. And since at f/8 on the wide end, 10-22 has a better sharpness, one can assume, those lenses will be very similar in perfomance on the same aperture values. On the tele end, this seems to be the neck-to-neck performance already.

But, if you consider the pricing, 10-18 seems like a bargain, compared to 10-22. Take a 100D body with 10-18 and you have a very pocketable UWA possibility for a fair price :)

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
10-18 seems to be a little sharper with better contrast on the wide end with wide open aperture, but that's not a fair comparision, since 10-22 is 2/3 stop faster. And since at f/8 on the wide end, 10-22 has a better sharpness, one can assume, those lenses will be very similar in perfomance on the same aperture values. On the tele end, this seems to be the neck-to-neck performance already.

But, if you consider the pricing, 10-18 seems like a bargain, compared to 10-22. Take a 100D body with 10-18 and you have a very pocketable UWA possibility for a fair price :)

and the 10-18 has IS
I seriously LOVE having IS on my EF-M 11-22
I never thought it would be so great on an UWA but you can literally get 1/5 or even 1/2 second shots handheld!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sfunglee said:
Agreed with the weight ratio... but overall which is better?

The significant differences are the 4mm on the long end and faster aperture of the 10-22mm, vs. the IS and lower cost of the 10-18mm.

To answer the OP's question, based solely on Canon's published MTF charts, the 10-18mm is slightly better than the 10-22mm (and the EF-M 11-22mm is better than both). The differences are minor enough that they would likely not be very evident in real-world shooting.

Also, bear in mind that those MTF curves are theoretical – they're calculated by computer based on the optical formulae of the lenses, not measured from actual lenses. In other words, Canon's MTF curves represent the best possible case, and for real lenses variances in production may affect performance. The 10-18mm has a plastic bayonet mount, suggesting that the production might not be as tightly controlled (but we really can't know).

More importantly, the MTF curves show sharpness and contrast, but tell us nothing about vignetting, distortion, flare control, or any of the host of other factors that impact image quality. Then there are other things like AF speed and reliability, full time manual focusing, handling, etc., any or all of which can be important in determining what one thinks is 'best'.

So, overall which is better will depend entirely on your personal needs.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
Terry Rogers said:
Lets get this one started....

Looking at MTF charts alone, how much better is the 10-22 vs 10-18? If we take the charts at face value, will the 10-22 be sharper or softer? Additionally, even if the 10-18 is a little softer, with it being half the price, would it be a much better value?

Thoughts?

The new 10-18 is 2/3 stops slower but it has huge benefits like smaller, lighter, smaller filter, 3-stop IS and cheaper so no brainer (it's a steal). If you don't have UWA go for this. I had the 10-22mm and I was happy and if you have it, there is no sence to go for the new 10-18mm.

Upvote 0
I do wish that this EF-S 10-18 IS lens existed 7 years ago (in 2007, when I bought my first DSLR called 400D/XTi and EF-S 10-22 as the first additional lens for it).

Now it just looks like Canon is trying to create the "new plastic trinity" combined of EF-S 10-18 (ultra wide) + EF-S 18-55 (standard) and + EF-S 55-250 (telephoto) lenses.

It DOES make sense...

I do not know how many (but I suspect that it should be around 90-95%) of entry level Rebel users never buy any additional lenses (and this DOES make sense too, since aforementioned EF-S 10-22 costs more than the camera with one or two kit lenses).

So, new UWA EF-S 10-18 is a way to introduce landscape and architecture shooting for entry-level camera users.

There are two more butts to it:

1) EOS M + EF-M 11-22 looks like a better newbie combination than EOS 100D/SL1 + EF-S 10-18;

2) Whom they are going to sell EF-S 10-22 to now? (To the guys who crave for 7DII? No chance! Since all of them are bird-shooters who do not care about UW.)

PS: Anyway, EF-S 10-22 is (or was?) the great lens with great build quality (at least not worse than that of EF 17-40/4L), while EF-S 10-18 (at least on pictures) looks like another disposable-plastic kit-lens...

Upvote 0
There is not much angle of view difference between a 300mm and a 304mm lens, but an enormous difference between 18mm and 22mm. Looking through my shot data, I tend to use the 10-22 at 10mm or 22mm, and not all that often in between. Meaning I would have wanted the 10-22 over the 10-18 for sure. But, depending what you shoot and how, you may have a different experience.

I find the 10-22 quite easy to carry around, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the size and weight advantage of the 10-18. Sharpness would be a wash for me too, as it looks like I tend to shoot between 5.6 and 8 with the 10-22.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AE1Pguy said:
Looking through my shot data, I tend to use the 10-22 at 10mm or 22mm, and not all that often in between. Meaning I would have wanted the 10-22 over the 10-18 for sure.

That's pretty typical for zoom lens usage, not sure that it says you need 22mm as much as it says you use zooms at the ends of the range most often. Something else to check is how often those images at 22m were cropped, which says you really needed longer than 22mm.

That common behavior using zooms at the ends of the range is something to keep in mind when making lens choices. If considering a wide prime, you may look over the EXIF of your shots with a 24-xx zoom and see lots of shots at 24mm, suggesting you should get a 24mm prime. But if you consider the image size, you may find that many of your images shot at 24mm were actually cropped to an AoV closer to 35mm, for example. That was the case for me, so I bought the 35/1.4L.

Upvote 0
Hjalmarg1 said:
Terry Rogers said:
Lets get this one started....

Looking at MTF charts alone, how much better is the 10-22 vs 10-18? If we take the charts at face value, will the 10-22 be sharper or softer? Additionally, even if the 10-18 is a little softer, with it being half the price, would it be a much better value?

Thoughts?

The new 10-18 is 2/3 stops slower but it has huge benefits like smaller, lighter, smaller filter, 3-stop IS and cheaper so no brainer (it's a steal). If you don't have UWA go for this. I had the 10-22mm and I was happy and if you have it, there is no sence to go for the new 10-18mm.

Most of those 'huge benefits' are subjective. Even the IS is arguable. I'll concede that I'd rather have it than not, but if it's a tradeoff between that and a wider aperture not everyone is going to choose IS, especially at UWA. Add in the better build quality, distance indicator, full time manual focus, 22mm, and USM and now it's not a 'no brainer' at all. Even the smaller filter size is debateable. All my filters are 77mm, so the 10-22 wins on that account too... for me. And for the final nail in the coffin, I can currently get a 10-22 refurbished from Canon for under $400, less than a $100 difference, if I could even buy the 10-18. I'm not saying the 10-18 won't sell like hotcakes, just that the 10-22 still has its niche.

Upvote 0
Whatever.

They're both EF-S lenses and as we all know, Canon treats the whole EF-S line like second class citizens. I mean, for instance, how many years and iterations has it taken for the 18-55mm to perform acceptably? Not to mention that there used to be USM on it....8 years ago. Sure the optics have gotten better but I suspect that's more to do with the need for more resolving power due to the megapickle wars than them actually caring any significant amount.

And speaking of USM, there might never be another EF-S lens released with USM and full time manual focusing again now that they've gotten stepper motors cheap enough to stuff into these things. Think on that for a minute. The pretty darn good (but $$$) 17-55mm 2.8, the solid 15-85mm and the cool 10-22mm could all lose their excellent USM when they get refreshed, regardless of better optics. And for no other reason than their mount.

I am not posting to belittle or denigrate EF-S owners in any way, just Canon's continued practice of doing the bare minimum for the EF-S mount in general. My first DSLR was a 60D with a 18-135 and 55-250 kit and I shot the hell out of it.

I mean, we still haven't gotten a cheap 35mm 1.8 that those Nik** guys have right?

Upvote 0
I got the 10-18 yesterday. It's a nice, compact lens. I intend to use it on my 7d and 100d.

It fills the gap between my Samyang 8mm fisheye and the Sigma 18-35 1.8 precisely. Focus speed is very good, IS is near silent. Because it's light and not so bulky I can take it with me easily, so I have it when I need it.

Sample shots from the first two days are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blechdach/sets/72157645042239713/

distortion is pretty intense at 10mm, both Lightroom and DXO don't have a lens profile for it yet, hopefully that'll cpme soon enough.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
2n10 said:
Zlyden said:
2) Whom they are going to sell EF-S 10-22 to now? (To the guys who crave for 7DII? No chance! Since all of them are bird-shooters who do not care about UW.)

Hey I have a 7D and crave the 7DII, shoot birds and have the 10-22. ;D

+1 *(well almost)

(I have a 7D and crave the 7DII, shoot birds (lots of them!)- and landscapes (lots of this) - in my case many with my Sigma 8-16mm!

Thanks 2n10 for sharing *almost my thoughts exactly - before I did! ;)

I'm sticking with an APS-C for all my photography at this stage... I love the lenses I have, covering 8mm to 300mm with quality glass! :)

Upvote 0
seamonster said:
there might never be another EF-S lens released with USM and full time manual focusing again now that they've gotten stepper motors cheap enough to stuff into these things. Think on that for a minute. The pretty darn good (but $$$) 17-55mm 2.8, the solid 15-85mm and the cool 10-22mm could all lose their excellent USM when they get refreshed, regardless of better optics.
i'm pretty sure the most expensive EF-S lenses will retain USM motors.

Upvote 0
2n10 said:
Zlyden said:

Hey I have a 7D and crave the 7DII, shoot birds and have the 10-22. ;D

Must be damn big birds where you live ;D.

Actually I have a 70d, shoot birds, would love to be able to afford the 7dII that I imagine it will be AND have the 10-22 too!

Upvote 0