Canon 1dx Mark II - Underwater Video

Mantadude said:
gjones5252 said:
Looks good!
If you don't mind me asking what was your process to get the footage ready for editing? Did you edit natively or did you transcode it to another format?
Any info on your steps to prep that much data would be helpful!

I was hoping you could tell me!!! Haha. I did edit natively, but it was a slow and annoying process. I am still working out my process. This has been eye opening as far as how to have premiere configured and the different drives to do specific tasks. I am getting a raid 0 16tb drive today, so hopefully that will help with the large file sizes. For this I had to just copy over the files I was going to use, which isn't my typical workflow. It records 5.6 gB per minute. I don't know much about transcoding, but I need to investigate it more.

Replace the old spinning disks in that raid array with Samsung SSD drives and use a computer with 8 cores and fast CPUs.

Once i got off those spinning things, the work flow improved....still, in final rendering, i start it before going to bed.

Upvote 0
kaihp said:
East Wind Photography said:
Replace the old spinning disks in that raid array with Samsung SSD drives

If you have the budget, go for a set of Intel DC ssd drives, like the DC P3700. ~2.7GB/s read speed, 400K IOps. That's some ridiculous speeds there...

Well you'll also need a special buss and backplane I guess. Otherwise you will "have to live with" 500MB/sec.

But if cost isn't an issue ...

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
GuyF said:
Ah, sorry, I thought this was your main gig.

What are you using to edit the 4k video? Can you recommend a monitor/gfx card (assuming it's on a PC rather than Mac)?

Thanks.

P.S. please post more!

+1

There is a solution - retire. ;) And don't wait as long as most of us do! Or figure out how to make money doing what you love - if only, I know.

Jack

Upvote 0
lion rock said:
Just wonderful. Hope your workflow is not bother with the high data rate.
I sent your links to my daughter who lives in Singapore, and she visits the Philippines often and she dives with her SL1 and water proof case. She shoots nudis. Hope she can learn from you.
-r

Mantadude said:
lion rock said:
Wow, first rate!
-r

Thanks for watching it!

That's awesome. This location is one of the best places for nudis in the world. I left them out of this film, as I will putting together a nudi only film.

Upvote 0
kaihp said:

If you have the budget, go for a set of Intel DC ssd drives, like the DC P3700. ~2.7GB/s read speed, 400K IOps. That's some ridiculous speeds there...

Problem is, I don't have that much of a budget. I have about 10TB worth of media I work with...so it makes it pretty hard. And with over 3TB worth each trip, that adds up fast.

Upvote 0
Mantadude said:
kaihp said:

Problem is, I don't have that much of a budget. I have about 10TB worth of media I work with...so it makes it pretty hard. And with over 3TB worth each trip, that adds up fast.

I would only use an SSD as the 'working drive', and then have some spinning rust for bulk storage of the things you aren't working on. I use WDC Reds in my NAS. Today, I'd probably choose WDC Red Pros, as they are a bit faster (7200rpm vs 5700rpm) and not that much more expensive (+10% IIRC).

Upvote 0
kaihp said:
Mantadude said:
kaihp said:

I would only use an SSD as the 'working drive', and then have some spinning rust for bulk storage of the things you aren't working on. I use WDC Reds in my NAS. Today, I'd probably choose WDC Red Pros, as they are a bit faster (7200rpm vs 5700rpm) and not that much more expensive (+10% IIRC).

Oh yes there is cost to long term SSD storage. Requires fairly constant rewriting of the data to refresh th storage charge and ultimate failure of the memory location. SSDs are getting better though but i would never use them for long term storage. I use redundant USB drives for long term storage. USB has the best backwards compatibility support. My version 1 USB drive still works in a usb 3.0 port. Relying on things like SATA interfaces may go by the wayside with MFM, RLL, Scsi and soon to be IDE.

Whatever you use it will eventually be obsolete unless you refresh about every 10 years or so. Possibly less.

Cloud storage is an alternative but it just moves that refresh onto a 3rd party that you hope you can trust with your data.

Upvote 0