Canon 1DXmkII 4K Video jello.

Mar 21, 2013
This whole Jello effect is being blown out of proportion and pretty stupid in my opinion.

If you are panning fast and including that in your final edit for whatever reason (cause obviously your audience is waiting for that fast pan and going to pause your video then zoom in to look for that slant)... then I suggest fixing a GoPro on your 1dx2 and intercut the non-slanted video shots where necessary.

Upvote 0
mkabi said:
This whole Jello effect is being blown out of proportion and pretty stupid in my opinion.

If you are panning fast and including that in your final edit for whatever reason (cause obviously your audience is waiting for that fast pan and going to pause your video then zoom in to look for that slant)... then I suggest fixing a GoPro on your 1dx2 and intercut the non-slanted video shots where necessary.

This thread was started because a camera owner has a model with some kind of problem, and then there was a discussion trying to ascertain what's normal for the camera.

The camera clearly has a very fast sensor, so it seems the original poster has a problem with his particular camera. Now he's waiting for word from Canon. It isn't stupid; it's what forums are for.

Upvote 0
mkabi said:

It is extremely relevant. If you want to stabilize your 4K footage and export at 1080p, too much rolling shutter can make it impossible.
And it's not only about panning. Any object that moves quickly through the frame will be slanted due to rolling shutter. This becomes even more troublesome if you are trying to capture footage for slow motion. Have you ever shot any video at all?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I think it's relevant and generally even the worst threads and this isn't one of them, provide useful information.

Polite disagreements add to a thread and it's best not to take the stupid this or that comments too seriously since we all have the thought from time to time, even if we don't express it. Personalities vary from insensitive to overly sensitive and from blunt to very polite. It makes for more interesting discussions although sometimes it may not feel too good. :)

"If you want to stabilize your 4K footage and export at 1080p ....." I've only shot a few minutes of 4K and HD but am trying to learn so the 1DX2 gets better utilized. However, I have no background in video - Etienne, would you care to briefly detail how this is done (or suggest a good reference)?

Jack

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
"If you want to stabilize your 4K footage and export at 1080p ....." I've only shot a few minutes of 4K and HD but am trying to learn so the 1DX2 gets better utilized. However, I have no background in video - Etienne, would you care to briefly detail how this is done (or suggest a good reference)?

Jack

One common use for shooting 4K, at least until consumers have 4K screens to watch material on, is to shoot at a higher resolution than you finish up with, i.e. the resolution of your exported video, which is often full HD/1080p.

One of the big advantages of doing this is that you can then stabilise or reframe your image without losing resolution in your exported video. If you shoot 1080p, and then stabilise your footage you lose resolution.

Have an awesome new year Jack :D

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
syder said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

One common use for shooting 4K, at least until consumers have 4K screens to watch material on, is to shoot at a higher resolution than you finish up with, i.e. the resolution of your exported video, which is often full HD/1080p.

One of the big advantages of doing this is that you can then stabilise or reframe your image without losing resolution in your exported video. If you shoot 1080p, and then stabilise your footage you lose resolution.

Have an awesome new year Jack :D

Thanks Syder and all the best to you and other CR contributors.

That much I surmised but what many forget about rank beginners is that there is a need to make an association between a concept and how it is actually implemented. Because I'm so lacking I've not been willing to commit too many dollars and perhaps waste my money. So, on the cheap side I purchased Corel Videostudeo X9 to play with. However, work has interfered with delving into it too deeply just yet.

What would benefit me most is to know what is the best software to invest in and some suggestions towards resource material that is effective in guiding a beginner.

Jack

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Answering questions about what is the the best software for postproduction is a bit like asking what's the best camera... It really depends on what the context is.

Most features and TV use avid media composer which is expensive and fussy but has a bunch of collaborative editing features that mean if you're in a big team it has some decent benefits (especially if you have avid servers and a lot of big post houses do). If you are using avid's codecs it's also very stable on huge projects. If you want to work in a big post house it's definitely useful to know. Otherwise, for small and low budget stuff it's probably unnecessary 98% of the time.

Premiere is where I would probably recommend most people who want to get I to editing start out, not least because if you already have Adobe Photoshop and/or Lightroom then buying the rest of the Creative Suite/Cloud is fairly inexpensive. It's a lot easier to get to grips with than Avid, but still a very powerful tool, especially when combined with After Effects (the creative cloud compositing and motion graphics program). It's a shame that Adobe seem to be killing off Speedgrade though, which has was their colour grading package, and no longer has a direct link facility from Premiere. The Lumetri panel in premiere has improved, but its not really a like for like replacement.

If you are more interested in grading than editing (and have a powerful enough computer) than Davinci Resolve is worth a look. It's a fantastic grading program with a rapidly improving set of editing tools. It can be a bit fussy with some consumer codecs though. The good news it that the lite version is all you probably need and it's available for free.

There is also final cut pro, which used to be the main alternative to Avid, but in the change from v7 to vX Apple basically left the small and demanding pro market to appeal to prosumers. Its popular with some of the students we get, but I don't know many places that use it professionally.

Below that you have things like iMovie and Windows Movie Maker that I couldn't really tell you anything about beyond that they're designed to make life easy for people with no background in video.

In terms of not wasting money, Resolve is free and Creative Cloud has a free 30 day trial, I'd have a look at both hands on and look at some beginner/interface tutorials to get you started and think about what it's likely to work out best for you and what you want to do with video.

Whatever you decide it won't be like you're stuck in a windowless rooms for weeks at a time editing VHS tapes together, which is how I learned to edit. The tools we have available today for not much money are pretty amazing in comparison.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Guys, out of context question; does anybody know how to export to below format in premiere pro? I have 4k footage from the 1DX II but the tv broadcast wants in that format only. I can get the XDCAM HD 422 but I cannot convert it to .mov. I can have it only in mxf.
I brought back the mxf file to premiere then export it again as .mov but I lost the 422, it became 420
Thanks in advance.

Happy new year by the way!

Apple XDCAM HD422 (.mov extension)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Syder, I have downloaded Davinci Resolve 12 free to see what it is like, but can I use it at all stand alone. As mentioned I only presently have Corel Videostudeo X9. Then there is the issue of the level of my PC - Windows 7, 2.4 GHz quad core, 64 bit, 6GB Ram and about 8 years old- I'm pretty sure this won't be enough.

As far as what I would do with video, it would be mainly wildlife and associated landscape done up as short clips or maybe into a longer video, say from example a month in Haida Gwaii. These would be for personal use and to show friends etc. I'm really moving into unchartered territory and feel lost. As a retired older person, learning doesn't come as easily as it used to.

Apologies for going a little off thread topic.

Jack

Upvote 0
syder said:
Answering questions about what is the the best software for postproduction is a bit like asking what's the best camera... It really depends on what the context is.

Most features and TV use avid media composer which is expensive and fussy but has a bunch of collaborative editing features that mean if you're in a big team it has some decent benefits (especially if you have avid servers and a lot of big post houses do). If you are using avid's codecs it's also very stable on huge projects. If you want to work in a big post house it's definitely useful to know. Otherwise, for small and low budget stuff it's probably unnecessary 98% of the time.

Premiere is where I would probably recommend most people who want to get I to editing start out, not least because if you already have Adobe Photoshop and/or Lightroom then buying the rest of the Creative Suite/Cloud is fairly inexpensive. It's a lot easier to get to grips with than Avid, but still a very powerful tool, especially when combined with After Effects (the creative cloud compositing and motion graphics program). It's a shame that Adobe seem to be killing off Speedgrade though, which has was their colour grading package, and no longer has a direct link facility from Premiere. The Lumetri panel in premiere has improved, but its not really a like for like replacement.

If you are more interested in grading than editing (and have a powerful enough computer) than Davinci Resolve is worth a look. It's a fantastic grading program with a rapidly improving set of editing tools. It can be a bit fussy with some consumer codecs though. The good news it that the lite version is all you probably need and it's available for free.

There is also final cut pro, which used to be the main alternative to Avid, but in the change from v7 to vX Apple basically left the small and demanding pro market to appeal to prosumers. Its popular with some of the students we get, but I don't know many places that use it professionally.

Below that you have things like iMovie and Windows Movie Maker that I couldn't really tell you anything about beyond that they're designed to make life easy for people with no background in video.

In terms of not wasting money, Resolve is free and Creative Cloud has a free 30 day trial, I'd have a look at both hands on and look at some beginner/interface tutorials to get you started and think about what it's likely to work out best for you and what you want to do with video.

Whatever you decide it won't be like you're stuck in a windowless rooms for weeks at a time editing VHS tapes together, which is how I learned to edit. The tools we have available today for not much money are pretty amazing in comparison.

It depends if your on windows or Mac. I have experience of Premiere and FCPX on Mac. Nowadays I strongly recommend FCPX as render faster and when you get used to the magnetic timeline you will be editing faster as well. Better and more intuitive program. Its now getting used more and more in professional post, ref FCP.co

Upvote 0
Just an update: It's now been 10 weeks and I still haven't heard back from Canon so just going to give up pursuing this now.
On the positive side I just got back from a week of doing some of the most bumpy filming we've done and the footage is great, just shooting 1920x1080 but there is no issue's and the auto focus works a treat just a pity we cant shoot 4k!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
lay85 said:
Just an update: It's now been 10 weeks and I still haven't heard back from Canon so just going to give up pursuing this now.
On the positive side I just got back from a week of doing some of the most bumpy filming we've done and the footage is great, just shooting 1920x1080 but there is no issue's and the auto focus works a treat just a pity we cant shoot 4k!

Have links to any of the video?

Jack

Upvote 0
I apologise for high jacking this post (although this is of great interest to me) but as a new member I cant post a new topic yet.
Can you tell me if I attached an external microphone do I compromise the weather proofing of my 1Dx mkii as the headphone and flash port are exposed to the elements? is this the case with any external connections when you open the rubber flap?
thanks

Upvote 0