Canon 1V

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paul13walnut5

The 1V is an excellent camera. But.

But the EOS 3 is 95% there. And 33% of the price.

The EOS 3 has a poly body but metal chassis. It is weather proof. Has very similar drive rates. Has the same AF set up (plus eye control)

The EOS 1V has a 100% viewfinder (3 has 95% or therabouts)
The EOS 1V has a viewfinder blind (3 has one on the strap)
The EOS 1V is metal bodied (3 is still weatherproof and has metal chassis, like the EOS 1 & 1n)
The EOS 1V has EOS link software (and what of it?)

I would buy an EOS 3 and 550EX speedlite for the same cash as a 1V. Or a EOS3 & PB-E2 and a nifty fifty for the price of a 1V.

The 1V is the best film camera canon made. It's not worth 3x the price of a 3 though.

Upvote 0
I'd second the EOS-3. I mostly shoot on a 7D, but picked up an EOS 3 with a grip for 200 USD. I use it as my "Full Frame" camera. The money you save compared can be used on a good scanner!

I find going back to film now, after shooting so much on digital, is incredibly satisfying. I've learned so much more about photography during a few years of digital photography, than I ever could have with film. The ability to experiment with exposure and see instant results in the field has made me a better and more confident film photographer. My keeper rate is so much higher now than it was when I had a Rebel G over a decade ago.

Upvote 0
I don't know about comparisons, theoretical or otherwise to other Canon film cameras, but I use a 1V and have never experienced anything like it. My experience goes back to the seventies so I've shot a lot of film.

All I can say is the 1V takes me into a whole different world. It's the difference between a night at a Holiday Inn and a night at a Ritz Carlton. You never even have to think about what you want -- it's just there for you.

Someone mentioned the computer link capability. That would be nice since there is no EXIF type info; you'd have to record individual shot info yourself manually. The camera does have the link capability, but finding the software and cabling is the first problem. It can be had, but it's not cheap. Second, most of the current computer operating systems are now incompatible.

I've shot everything from 110 to MF film cameras, and nothing has ever equaled the 1V. Nothing else has even come close.

I decided to get the 1V last year (used on Ebay) to get better performance in street photography than I could with anything less than a 1D, which I couldn't afford. It has done that. Now that the 5D3 is here, I'll be going with that instead -- my 1V will provide some of the funding! I still have a lot of other film cameras if I want to just play with film.

I expect the price for used 1V cameras to come down even more now that digital cameras offer performance like you can get in the 5D3 and even the 7D.

My advice is if you want to shoot film, don't bother with anything "almost as good" as the 1V. The cost differences are too small to make such a compromise.

Upvote 0
I just bought a EOS 1V HS last week in mint condition! Its an incredibly good camera, like other people said, its the best SLR ever built in my opinion. It feels so incredibly solid, but its also pretty heavy. I bought this camera beacause I had the opportunity to buy it in mint condition for 500 bucks. I know its a lot of money for an old camera since you can get something like a 40D for it, but I think its worth the money. You will always have the best SLR ever build and the chances to get one in really good condition will decrease since it's not produced anymore since 2010. Yesterday I got an EOS 3 in my hands, it just feels diffrent, not as solid, not as professional as the 1V. I know that you can get the EOS 3 for 200 bucks or something like that, but if you want to buy it as your main SLR and don't have a bunch of other SLRs around (like a EOS 5 or something similar) just go with it! Its defenitly worth the price, and to see how film is transported with 10 frames per second (in case of the 1V HS) is really impressive!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.