Canon 24-105 F/4L

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
RichM said:
I'm on my second 24-105, not because there was any problem, but rather that I sold the first one for more than the difference between a 5d3 body and a 5d3 kit.

Geez, I wish I had thought of doing that when I bought my 5D3 in December. I've had my 24-105 for 7+ years, and even though it still takes great shots, it suffers from zoom creep, which I haven't been able to remedy.

Upvote 0

Fleetie

Watching for pigs on the wing
Nov 22, 2010
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
JonAustin said:
RichM said:
I'm on my second 24-105, not because there was any problem, but rather that I sold the first one for more than the difference between a 5d3 body and a 5d3 kit.

Geez, I wish I had thought of doing that when I bought my 5D3 in December. I've had my 24-105 for 7+ years, and even though it still takes great shots, it suffers from zoom creep, which I haven't been able to remedy.

Black insulation tape, round the extending barrel part. Put it at the end of the barrel that will keep the barrel in its retracted position, when you retract it.

Mine's been working just great like this for a while now.

Naysayers and doomcasters will warn you that this remedy will kill the lens, murder your wife, and be rude to your aunties.

Rubbish. It's a simple, easy, common-sense fix, and carefully-done, looks just fine too.

Upvote 0

TexinAfrica

5D Mk III, Several L lenses, 430 EX, G-12, S-100,
Mar 18, 2012
Luanda, Angola
Which is why it'll remain my standard zoom for the foreseeable future. Like, say...until Canon releases the TS-E 12-1200 f/1.0L DO AF for $999.

12-1200 f/1 is a great idea. Perhaps they could get it to the $999 price by just sending us all the parts and we assemble it ourselves.

Upvote 0
Just added the 6D and 24-105 2 days ago and first shot with it yesterday. I keep trying to talk myself into selling the lens but I can't come up with a better alternative. I'll have the 21 Zeiss on the 6D and this lens will be on the 5D II at the same time(figure it'd be best to run two bodies for the rare times a tornado is passing close by and no time to switch lenses lol). The wide shot will be happy with the Zeiss, like a lot happy as it is amazing. I'm having a fit in my head if I need the zoom or not for the second body and not just a 50 or 85 prime. The thing is, at 50mm the 24-105 at F4 is dam similar to a Sigma 50 at F4. But yeah not at F2 ::) . The good thing is 24mm is clearly its weak end but by quite a lot. Need to see just where that gets better between there and 50mm. 35-90mm might be really damn "happy" with that lens and that would be great.

I'm a little shocked just how bad the color fringing is though. Sure it can easily be removed but it sure isn't helping things. Vignetting wouldn't be as annoying if it wasn't such a sharp change and was spread out a bit more. For sure that would be a very damn fine lens on a crop body. And even full it seems pretty darn happy inside 24mm and to a lesser degree also inside 105mm. Edges are a billion times better than the 17-40 ever was anyway so there's that lol.

I've gotten rather picky over the last few years(even when I already know it doesn't matter for the image and old original rebel kit lens images will still be selling over everything else, making the point all the more lol). Anyway, as anal as I've gotten, even on full frame the 24-105 is trying its ass off to get me to keep it and use it. 24-70 F4 sounds like its weakness is in the middle. Screw that then. 24-70 F2.8 I may as well just go 50mm since there will be a 21mm on another body anyway.

I hope you got a good deal on it. It was $2330 or something like that from Amazon, which if one then wants to sell the 24-105 anyway, for like $800, then the body was only $1500. I think Canon's rebate deal ends today on things.

Upvote 0
MagnumJoe said:
neuroanatomist said:
@ TrumpetPower - yes, me. ;)

Low light shot with an f/4 lens:

index.php

EOS 1D X, EF 600mm f/4L IS II, 1/160 s, f/4, ISO 10000

Thanks you all for your help, your replies and comments. A special thanks to TrumpetPower and Neuroanatomist for their inputs and awesome photo.

I wanted to update you on my post/status, I've was able to sell my Sigma 17-50mm today for 515.00, I really liked that lens on my T3i. However, I'm very excited about upgrading to a Canon 6d and the 24-105 f/4 and the lenses I already own the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 without OS.

However, after reading your inputs, seeing the photo and knowing what a full frame can do at f/4. I'm now considering selling the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 and replacing it with a Canon 70-200mm f/4 with IS.

Your thoughts?
Would you sell the Sigma f/2.8 to purchase a Canon f/4 with IS?

I had your exact situation (well almost). I had a T1i and the 17-50 Sigma. Loved that combo. I was also worried about going from f2.8 to the F4 of the 24-105 that would come with the new 6D. Well I am pleased to report that the only thing I miss from the Sigma is the lens lock. From a versatility point and exposure point the 24-105 is just better on the 6D.

Upvote 0
I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd drop a line anyways.

I've played with the 24-105 just on my T2i and compared it to my 28-135 and the difference was noticeably significant. I'm also buying the 6d with the 24-105 cause I don't have the funds for the 5d and I need a good lens to go along with the camera.

Oh and just as a side note, for lens creep, I use just a regular silicone rubber band. I actually use a school one and everyone who isn't a photo geek asks me if I work for the school photo department :D

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Upsman6 said:
Maybe I should rephrase my question. Is the 24-105 going to work on a 3ti or is it made for a ff canon ? Finally retired and would like to shoot with better lens than the kit lens camera came with...Any help would be appreciated !

What kit lens did your camera come with?

All Canon full-frame lenses work fine with crop-body cameras. Of course, its field of view won't be nearly as wide on a crop body as on a full frame, so depending on how much you shoot wide angle shots, you might be find yourself preferring its crop-body equivalent, the EF-S 15-85. Alternatively, you might consider pairing the 24-105L with an EF-S 10-22 for when you want to shoot wide.

Upvote 0
dgatwood said:
Upsman6 said:
Maybe I should rephrase my question. Is the 24-105 going to work on a 3ti or is it made for a ff canon ? Finally retired and would like to shoot with better lens than the kit lens camera came with...Any help would be appreciated !

What kit lens did your camera come with?

All Canon full-frame lenses work fine with crop-body cameras. Of course, its field of view won't be nearly as wide on a crop body as on a full frame, so depending on how much you shoot wide angle shots, you might be find yourself preferring its crop-body equivalent, the EF-S 15-85. Alternatively, you might consider pairing the 24-105L with an EF-S 10-22 for when you want to shoot wide.

+1

The 24-105 is a great lens, but I found it to not be wide enough as a general purpose zoom on my 7D (equivalent full frame focal length = 38mm to 168mm). The EF-S 15-85mm is similar in image quality to the 24-105 and gives a more useful focal length range for a crop body (like your T3i).

In my experience, the EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 and EF-S 17-55 f2.8 are the best general purpose lenses for crop body cameras. The 17-55 being preferred if you need a faster lens for low light photography. The 15-85 has better focal range, but a smaller aperture - great for landscape and outdoor photography, but its requires flash for low light or indoor use.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.