canon-300mm f1.8, Exotic or what

mukul

EOS T7i
Jan 16, 2014
https://petapixel.com/2017/04/27/canon-300mm-f1-8-yes-monster-lens-exists/

Is it EF or FD?

canon museum does not list it?

http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product_search_result.html?t=lens&q=300

http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product_search_result.html?t=lens&q=1.8&sort=new

Labdoc

EOS 80D
Mar 23, 2016
USA
The video says they were all FD initially but were upgraded to EF and future production from that time is EF.

Sharlin

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Technically it's not EF if it doesn't have Electronic Focus and aperture control even if it's mechanically compatible with the EF mount.

LDS

EOR R
Sep 14, 2012
Sharlin said:
Technically it's not EF if it doesn't have Electronic Focus and aperture control even if it's mechanically compatible with the EF mount.
That's why it is marked "PE". I wonder what PE stands for.

Also, it says how much money revolve around some horse races. If they are so specific I understand why almost nobody knew them, unlike the 1200/5.6 which was officially listed and could be ordered - if you had the money.

jeffa4444

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 28, 2013
We have a PL mounted version of the Canon EF 1200mm f5.6. We used to own two of these lenses but sold one off years ago.
Never heard of the 300mm f1.8

IglooEater

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 15, 2014
I've wanted Canon to release a new 50mm 1.0 for a while. Now I know what my new number 1 daydream release is. :D

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
LDS said:
Sharlin said:
That's why it is marked "PE". I wonder what PE stands for.

Also, it says how much money revolve around some horse races. If they are so specific I understand why almost nobody knew them, unlike the 1200/5.6 which was officially listed and could be ordered - if you had the money.
perhaps PE cos it's Physically Enormous ;D

cayenne

EOR R
Mar 28, 2012
Oooooh!!

I gotta put an alert for myself on cannon watch......and try to grab one of these bad boys on a refurb sale!!!

;)

cayenne

NancyP

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 17, 2013
I am going to have to think that the design was highly specific for function, and that their off-the-shelf 300 f/2.8 of any era out-resolved it.

rwvaughn

EOS M50
Mar 22, 2016
BeenThere said:
Why is such a high serial number stamped on the lens when only a few were ever made?
We only read of one race tracks use of this super specialty lens in the article. However, I would imagine that there were more than just a few made, and more than just a few are still being used for photo finish work. Take the number of race tracks in existence, and barring a competing lens being used manufactured by Nikon, it's plausible that dozens of this lens were made and exist.

Just because the serial number stamped on the lens is a high number could have very little meaning. It could represent some sort of code much like the Canon Date Code. The serial number could identify the lens to Canon as a certain series, lens type and production specimen as a whole. There's really no way to know.

One has to wonder how many other super specialty lenses exist for specific applications that are not listed in the general Canon/Nikon lens catalogs due to trade secret reasons or due to contractual non-disclosure obligations?

Canon, Nikon and even Tamron have whole industrial optics divisions that produce lenses that are not listed in there general consumer lens line ups. I don't find it impossible that there are other monsters out there with wide apertures to be discovered.

IglooEater

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 15, 2014
rwvaughn said:
BeenThere said:
Why is such a high serial number stamped on the lens when only a few were ever made?
We only read of one race tracks use of this super specialty lens in the article. However, I would imagine that there were more than just a few made, and more than just a few are still being used for photo finish work. Take the number of race tracks in existence, and barring a competing lens being used manufactured by Nikon, it's plausible that dozens of this lens were made and exist.

Just because the serial number stamped on the lens is a high number could have very little meaning. It could represent some sort of code much like the Canon Date Code. The serial number could identify the lens to Canon as a certain series, lens type and production specimen as a whole. There's really no way to know.

One has to wonder how many other super specialty lenses exist for specific applications that are not listed in the general Canon/Nikon lens catalogs due to trade secret reasons or due to contractual non-disclosure obligations?

Canon, Nikon and even Tamron have whole industrial optics divisions that produce lenses that are not listed in there general consumer lens line ups. I don't find it impossible that there are other monsters out there with wide apertures to be discovered.
Oooooh, so their might be a 400mm f/1.8?
Or maybe a 10-1000 f/1.0. ;D