canon-300mm f1.8, Exotic or what

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Sharlin said:
Technically it's not EF if it doesn't have Electronic Focus and aperture control even if it's mechanically compatible with the EF mount.

That's why it is marked "PE". I wonder what PE stands for.

Also, it says how much money revolve around some horse races. If they are so specific I understand why almost nobody knew them, unlike the 1200/5.6 which was officially listed and could be ordered - if you had the money.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
LDS said:
Sharlin said:
Technically it's not EF if it doesn't have Electronic Focus and aperture control even if it's mechanically compatible with the EF mount.

That's why it is marked "PE". I wonder what PE stands for.

Also, it says how much money revolve around some horse races. If they are so specific I understand why almost nobody knew them, unlike the 1200/5.6 which was officially listed and could be ordered - if you had the money.
perhaps PE cos it's Physically Enormous ;D

Upvote 0

rwvaughn

Live in the moment.
Mar 22, 2016
Southern Indiana, USA
BeenThere said:
Why is such a high serial number stamped on the lens when only a few were ever made?

We only read of one race tracks use of this super specialty lens in the article. However, I would imagine that there were more than just a few made, and more than just a few are still being used for photo finish work. Take the number of race tracks in existence, and barring a competing lens being used manufactured by Nikon, it's plausible that dozens of this lens were made and exist.

Just because the serial number stamped on the lens is a high number could have very little meaning. It could represent some sort of code much like the Canon Date Code. The serial number could identify the lens to Canon as a certain series, lens type and production specimen as a whole. There's really no way to know.

One has to wonder how many other super specialty lenses exist for specific applications that are not listed in the general Canon/Nikon lens catalogs due to trade secret reasons or due to contractual non-disclosure obligations?

Canon, Nikon and even Tamron have whole industrial optics divisions that produce lenses that are not listed in there general consumer lens line ups. I don't find it impossible that there are other monsters out there with wide apertures to be discovered.

Upvote 0
rwvaughn said:
BeenThere said:
Why is such a high serial number stamped on the lens when only a few were ever made?

We only read of one race tracks use of this super specialty lens in the article. However, I would imagine that there were more than just a few made, and more than just a few are still being used for photo finish work. Take the number of race tracks in existence, and barring a competing lens being used manufactured by Nikon, it's plausible that dozens of this lens were made and exist.

Just because the serial number stamped on the lens is a high number could have very little meaning. It could represent some sort of code much like the Canon Date Code. The serial number could identify the lens to Canon as a certain series, lens type and production specimen as a whole. There's really no way to know.

One has to wonder how many other super specialty lenses exist for specific applications that are not listed in the general Canon/Nikon lens catalogs due to trade secret reasons or due to contractual non-disclosure obligations?

Canon, Nikon and even Tamron have whole industrial optics divisions that produce lenses that are not listed in there general consumer lens line ups. I don't find it impossible that there are other monsters out there with wide apertures to be discovered.

Oooooh, so their might be a 400mm f/1.8?
Or maybe a 10-1000 f/1.0. ;D

Upvote 0