Canon 35 mm F1.4L II USM. Strange sound inside. Bad copy?

Hello. I've recently bought new lens Canon 35 mm F1.4L II USM. First thing: loose focus ring (longitudinal play). Like on video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-2QGo2a5ZE .I asked official repair center about this problem. Answer was - "no problem". Second: I hear some strange sound when little shake lens up and down, like loose part inside. When I put the focus ring in infinity position sound is disappear. I bought the lens directly from the manufacturer. I have another lens, but all of them have image stab system. I thought, that prime lens without IS must be absolutely quiet inside.
Please, owners of this lens, can you check your lens for this "problem"?
I want to know, problem or not...

Dear Grinbo,

The play in the manual focus ring is normal. I had this ‘issue’ from day one, so I guess it’s nothing to worry about.

Regarding the sound. If I hold the lens with the mount facing to the ceiling and shake it front and back, it feels like there is something loose inside, like an IS unit but not that that loose :)

Yes, the sound like IS :) I have a few days to make a decision: leave or back it. If we assume that the backlash is the norm, how I can test the lens? I worry about it, because of seller policy in my country - you can return any item in 7 days without any reason. The lens may has previous owner.... Most important for me is sharpness and good installation of lenses inside for a good picture. I mean not lab test. I haven't any large charts and special lights. May be some useful method to test at home.

Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
I would dump it. I bought a 50 L f1.2 from Canon, and THE DAY I bought it, I dropped it 1 meter onto padded carpet, and it didn't work right, sounded weird when I shook it, and squeaked when it autofocused. I should have quietly returned it and pretended I never dropped it, but instead I had it repaired by Canon, which they did for free. It works now, but it still has a squeak, and sometimes it will not focus to the MFD. When I ask Canon to look at it again, they say "It is fine, It is fine, no repairs needed." The whole situation has me soured on L build quality, and this happened a month before the R came out, so I look at my L glass now and wish I never bought most of it. If you aren't 1000% sure, send it back. They charge too much and do too little on EF L. Honestly, they should have a buyback program for all the people with huge EF glass investments who were waiting on Canon's "sexy" solution for mirrorless mount that didn't involve adapters, like they claimed they were doing. I feel a bit betrayed.

Upvote 0
Dear Grinbo,

The play in the manual focus ring is normal. I had this ‘issue’ from day one, so I guess it’s nothing to worry about.

Regarding the sound. If I hold the lens with the mount facing to the ceiling and shake it front and back, it feels like there is something loose inside, like an IS unit but not that that loose :)
Сan you compare the sound from my video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o4-mzEug-uPDKioEiH2ufxzzuOjM50d3/view?usp=sharing and from your lens?

Upvote 0
Hi guys, i just bought this lens and the first thing i noticed (besides the weight) is that fkn clacking noise in the focus ring. I bought the 35mm1.4LII and the 85mm1.4IS, and the later has a perfect, thight, well dampened focus ring. I cant understand why the 35 has such a play and noise. Kinda dissapointed if this is "normal".
I uploaded a video to gdrive:

Upvote 0
hgredo, the play in the focus ring seems to be normal. Everybody complains about that. But what's inside that's important :)

Meanwhile, check this out:

Upvote 0
hgredo, the play in the focus ring seems to be normal. Everybody complains about that. But what's inside that's important :)

Meanwhile, check this out:

I know... but nevertheless... you think canon intended that wiggle/rattling/ wobble / clanking? if not, theres a problem. You pay a premium for this lens, why expect cheap build?

I did watch the lensrental teardown, and they dont comment on the focus ring being this loose, so i must be that this isnt so normal...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can any owner of this lens confirm that his or her lens does NOT exhibit this problem? I refuse to think that this is normal. Had canon lenses in the past (cheap ones too), nikon lenses, fuji lenses, sony lenses and none have this rattling on the focus ring. Thanks!
I can - mine makes effectively no sound when gently shaking in any direction or way, and no loose play around the focus ring either.

(I didn't chime in earlier as I didn't want to sound like "well, mine's fine...", but as you have now asked, I have been off to check).

For what it's worth, I've given mine a gentle shake, rather than trying to dislodge parts, so I may be doing it gentler than others.

If yours is still within warranty, it may be worth having it looked at.

Upvote 0
Can any owner of this lens confirm that his or her lens does NOT exhibit this problem? I refuse to think that this is normal. Had canon lenses in the past (cheap ones too), nikon lenses, fuji lenses, sony lenses and none have this rattling on the focus ring. Thanks!

Mine has just a very slight play in the focus ring, normal tolerance values, I think. If I hold the ring in place, there's no sound when shaking it, but then - I also didn't shake it as hard :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I can - mine makes effectively no sound when gently shaking in any direction or way, and no loose play around the focus ring either.

(I didn't chime in earlier as I didn't want to sound like "well, mine's fine...", but as you have now asked, I have been off to check).

For what it's worth, I've given mine a gentle shake, rather than trying to dislodge parts, so I may be doing it gentler than others.

If yours is still within warranty, it may be worth having it looked at.

Thanks for the chiming in :). I dont have to shake the lens to hear the clacking/rattling sound. I dont hear any noises when shaking it, only when touching (yes even touching) the focus ring. Please watch the video i posted early in this thread. The focus ring is very loose, as i said before, never happened with other lens...

Upvote 0