Canon 35mm f/2 IS USM

35mm%20f2%20IS.jpg

North East and Yorkshire Wedding Photographer www.andrew-davies.com

Canon 5dmk3 + 35mm f2 IS @ f6.3 iso400

Re: Canon 35mm F2 IS

TeT said:
There is no reason not to like this lens...

There is no reason to not like this lens...

My knowledge of grammar fails me... are both of the above correct?

To be honest, both ain't writtin' English good. :)

There was a time when a double negative was acceptable grammar. However, under our current "rules" of grammer, double negatives should be avoided in order to reduce confusion.

"There is no reason to dislike this lens" would be much better if one wishes to structure the sentence using a negative. But it is important to understand that "there is no reason to dislike this lens" is not the same as "there are reasons to like this lens".

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

TeT said:

They are both awkward, but the first one would commonly be considered to be splitting the infinitive, 'to not like' splits 'to like', so generally 'not to like' would be considered less awkward.

However 'There is no reason to dislike this lens' sounds and reads much better and is easier to understand.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia

TeT said:

I think it would be the second one, but the first one sounds sort of fine to me as well. My girlfriend has been trying to teach me a second language and as I learn that, my English gets worse and worse ::) lol.

AcutancePhotography said:
Those are some pretty nice shots! At that price, I think you have a winner

This lens is very underrated, I would buy it 10 times over since I love it that much!

Upvote 0