Canon 35mm f/2 IS USM

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Bought this lens after PBD and others had been singing it's praises here on CR, and I must say it is a very flexible one, pin sharp but with a lovely soft bokeh, at least for a wide angle lens ! Certainly dampened my enthusiasm for a new 50. This plus a good 85 seems to have the 50 covered.

The fact that this one is 0 AFMA on my bodies is a bonus, because it is also spot on accurate with my original 5D which I still enjoy using.

5D + 2/35 IS, 1/400th, f/2, ISO 100

Attachments

• _MG_1538-1.png
    _MG_1538-1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 291
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Maximilian said:
Sporgon said:
Bought this lens ...

Really nice shot and mood. I like that very much.

Many thanks Maximilian ! As well as the pleasing results from shallow dof with this lens I'm also finding that it produces excellent colour definition and colour fidelity in landscape shots, to the extent that I'm slightly perplexed as to why this should be. I don't think it has any greater resolving potential than other good lenses I have, yet it seems to be defining the subtle differences in green tones that I would normally only expect to see when using a longer lens, so more magnification, and stitching. So I'm confused but happy ;)

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Sporgon said:
Maximilian said:
Sporgon said:
Bought this lens ...

Really nice shot and mood. I like that very much.

Many thanks Maximilian ! As well as the pleasing results from shallow dof with this lens I'm also finding that it produces excellent colour definition and colour fidelity in landscape shots, to the extent that I'm slightly perplexed as to why this should be. I don't think it has any greater resolving potential than other good lenses I have, yet it seems to be defining the subtle differences in green tones that I would normally only expect to see when using a longer lens, so more magnification, and stitching. So I'm confused but happy ;)
Hi Sporgon!

Similar - but not that detailed - experience here. I was looking for some WA prime with wider aperture but not willing pay as much as for the L lenses. And after some cashback rebates this lens was very tempting.
When I got it I was so-so but I got more and more attracted by its classical FL, the short MFD and the IQ (color, contrast). So a really superb value for money. (Of course the 35L lenses can do even more)
When I go out with just one lens, I more and more prefer this over the 24-105 (not yet at 50% at all).

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
After owning many lenses in the 35mm range I came to grips with the fact that at least for me this lens is the best EF city street photography lens, period; fast, wide, inconspicuous, and the IS is nice for traffic motion shots. I ended up rebuying it after selling it some time ago. Not perhaps as colorful as the 35L but offers functional and practical benefits the L lacks.

Upvote 0