Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/canon-400-f5-6l-is-in-april-cr1/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/canon-400-f5-6l-is-in-april-cr1/"></a></div>
A wanted lens to a lot of people was mentioned on a Swedish forum. A 400 f/5.6L IS.</p>
<p>Announcement coming in April?</p>
<p><strong>Read More: <a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://www.fotosidan.se/forum/showpost.php%3Fp%3D1621972%26postcount%3D1059">Google translated link</a></strong></p>
<p><strong>CR’s Take</strong>

It’s a wishlist lens for sure with a lot of people. With the things going on with Canon’s ability to make the new lenses, I have doubts about any announcement in April for glass.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><em>thanks jimmy</em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

Aug 11, 2010
I don't think so, not with the 400 f/2.8 II coming out. however, maybe in a couple of years once everyone who can shell out for the 400 f/2.8 II has bought theirs, canon will get around to upgrading the 400 f/5.6 with IS. that would be a killer lens.

what would be even better would be to do it as a 500 f/5.6 L IS. the 400 f/5.6 range is already cluttered with possibilities, from the 100-400 and 70-200+2x. a 500 f/5.6 L IS would be a major seller and snag some real devotees. I know I'd buy one at the drop of a hat

Upvote 0
I can't see that a replacement for the 400L is a priority for Canon, its main users seem to be birders on a budget as it is nowhere near as flexible as the 100-400L. A replacement for the latter would have far broader appeal and a modern zoom design could narrow the image quality gap between the prime and the zoom. A 500mm f/5.6L would be a different matter.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
Would be great if true. This has been on my wishlist for ages. Go Canon! The 400/2.8 is a big heavy lens. It's also expensive. As an occassional use lens, it is not on my radar and I suspect a lot of people feel the same. Plus, I've already got a 70-200 IS, which I use a lot and is arguable better over it's range than the 100-400mm.

I currently use an older Sigma 400/5.6 APO which is a great lens when mounted on a tripod or monopod and film SLRs. Unfortunately the Sigma doesn't mate happily with recent DSLRs - Another reason to buy genuine Canon lenses. But it is small enough to hand hold in good light. I've always thought that a similar lens with IS would mean more keepers.

In short, this is a lens that would appeal greatly to amateur sports / wildlife / backpapcker photographers. Great image quality in a smaller lens at a (hopefully) reasonable price.

That being said, I'd love a 500/5.6. But I could imaging there would be a big price and size premium compared with a 400/5.6.

Upvote 0
F

Flake

Can someone please explain to me what the attraction of this lens is? I look at the 70 - 200mm f/2.8 IS L (£1750) and the 200mm f/2.8 L (£615) and I can see why someone would buy but when that is upscaled to 400mm we have the 100 - 400mm f/4.5 - 5.6 IS L (£1100) compared to the current 400mm f/5.6 L (£1065) there's no saving at all and no IS, there's no gain in speed and you lose the zoom option, even if IS is added and an optical upgrade the price will rise far above its current level probably closer to £1500, what is the attraction in that?

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
You would expect the prime lens would produce sharper pictures when compared with the 100-400mm at 400mm at f5.6. In addition, it should have faster focus and better IQ. This is pretty important when tracking subjects. Admittedly, the 100-400 isn't considered slack in these areas, but most reviews suggest that you need to stop down to f8 or f11 to achieve really sharp results. The current 400/2.8 is considered one of the stars in the canon line up. If a 400/5.6 exists, it would be good to think the image quality would be comparable, but in a slower package. It may not appeal to everyone, but I think there would be buyers out there.

Upvote 0
Flake said:
Can someone please explain to me what the attraction of this lens is? I look at the 70 - 200mm f/2.8 IS L (£1750) and the 200mm f/2.8 L (£615) and I can see why someone would buy but when that is upscaled to 400mm we have the 100 - 400mm f/4.5 - 5.6 IS L (£1100) compared to the current 400mm f/5.6 L (£1065) there's no saving at all and no IS, there's no gain in speed and you lose the zoom option, even if IS is added and an optical upgrade the price will rise far above its current level probably closer to £1500, what is the attraction in that?

Well, I think this is one of lens with the highest Cost/performance value among Canon's lineup. While it lacks the flexibility of the 100-400 and the IS, in exchange you get the advantages of prime over zooms - faster focus and sharper images. Another big issue for people is price (in Taiwan, the price of 100-400 [roughly 46,000~56,000 NT] is a bit higher than 400 [roughly 38,000~41,000 NT]).

Adding the IS to the 400 prime would be cool, but if the price sees a significant increase, I'd wager there's going to be a rush to pick up the old generation 400mm.

Of couse, a 500mm would be nice, but that's a totally different field (and probably bigger and more expensive)

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
Canon 14-24 said:
If they can get a 500mm f/5.6 IS under 5lbs and 3K, I would consider that a winner.

Honestly, I don't see why canon couldn't. Take a look at the size and weight of the sigma zooms that go into the 500mm range. They're roughly in the 2 kilo range. As for price, yeah, 3K would hit the spot fine. I think they could actually put it out for $2500 and turn major numbers with it

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
ronderick said:
Well, I think this is one of lens with the highest Cost/performance value among Canon's lineup. While it lacks the flexibility of the 100-400 and the IS, in exchange you get the advantages of prime over zooms - faster focus and sharper images.
Yes indeed, the prime is sharper. Also bokeh is far, far better with the prime. Plus it has that color/contrast thing you only get from a prime.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Stone said:
I would have preferred a 400 f/4.0L IS it maybe would be a little more bulky, but would make it far more useful with a 1.4 or 2.0 tc

Go buy one, they have been available for many years. The 400mm f/4 DO is described as a "L" lens by Canon.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup

Nothing quite compares to the amount of dimension a super telephoto lens can bring to a photograph. All the lenses in the category are part of the L-series, incorporating superior lens construction and USM for quiet, high-speed autofocusing.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Agreed. Super teles are in a league of their own optically.

scalesusa said:
Stone said:
I would have preferred a 400 f/4.0L IS it maybe would be a little more bulky, but would make it far more useful with a 1.4 or 2.0 tc

Go buy one, they have been available for many years. The 400mm f/4 DO is described as a "L" lens by Canon.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup

Nothing quite compares to the amount of dimension a super telephoto lens can bring to a photograph. All the lenses in the category are part of the L-series, incorporating superior lens construction and USM for quiet, high-speed autofocusing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.