Canon 550EX [used] vs Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II [new]

Mar 25, 2011
The 550 EX is long discontinued, and likely can't be repaired by Canon. Take that into account. You don't know its history or if its been repeatedly overloaded. In the USA, if I buy using many major credit cards, they double the warranty, so thats another consideration.
The downside to Yonguo is compatibility, every new Canon model seems to break compatibility, and its months before new firmware, if ever.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi mukul.
I have both the 550EX and the YN600EX-RT II, since I got the YongNuo I have barely used the Canon flash, mostly because the RT system is far better than the optical remote system and I use 2 YN600’s with the YN-E3-RT.
The 550 feels very well made, the YongNuo’s whilst appearing well made have a cheaper feel to the plastic, plus there were a few reports of broken battery doors early on (possibly the version 1).

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi mukul.
What this means is that when your camera has a page on the flash menu the camera and flash both speak fluent Canon and the flash will be controlled from the menu meaning things like the power, high speed sync, second curtain sync and more can be controlled without touching the flash.
See page 180-181 in the (English) camera manual.
I thought my 550EX was controllable from my 40D, though I may be wrong about that, for sure the YN600 plays nicely with my 7DII which I think has similar menus to your 600D

Edit.
I have just checked and the 550EX only has flash exposure compensation available from the camera, the YN600 has full control to the extent of the cameras knowledge, for example on the 40D I can select the flash to be a master remote commander but only in optical mode because that is all the camera knows about but with the 7DII I can choose wireless or optical master!
End edit.

Cheers, Graham.

mukul said:
What is "Supports Flash Settings by Camera Menu" and what are the advantages?

See at
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Flash-Specifications.aspx?Flash=250&FlashComp=466
"Features Controllable from Flash" section

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ah-Keong.
Why, the YN600ex can be a master and slave and has a guide number of 60 but can be turned down to GN43 and is probably cheaper than a 430ex which can only be a slave and has a guide number of 43 but might be a bit lighter than the 600, you can’t turn it up to the GN of 60 though!

Cheers, Graham.

Ah-Keong said:
Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II!

Have you considered the Canon 430EX-RT III?

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I had a similar question a couple of months ago and considered getting a 580EX to add to my 430EXII. I sold my 430 EXII and bought the following Godox gear: TT685c, TT600, and XPro-C. All operate via radio, which is much more flexible and reliable than the optical control of the 550EX. Godox provides for seamless linking to studio flashes so I have my options open for the future, more so than with Canon.

However, you should ask if these large flashes are overkill for your needs. The downside is their size. I also have a 270EX which is much smaller and discrete and allows bouncing (in landscape orientation only) and limited zoom. I find it sufficient for many non-professional purposes. Its the sort of flash I will through in my backpack in case I might need some light.

Upvote 0
Hi Mihazero.
I believe the ETTL vs ETTL2 is determined by the camera and not the flash, but you are correct about the lack of control from the camera. I have the 550EX, a very nice flash but not a patch on a new YongNuo unit.

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Valvebounce,

In order to make sure I have downloaded 550EX manual and even checked on some websites and 550EX is e-TTL v1 compatible. That basicly means older metering compatiblity, no in camera options, camera gives flash less information so that it may make decision how much flash its needed. Dont get me wrong I used to own 550EX and back in the day it was stellar flash. It still is today, but more in a manual brick kind of way that can output a mountain of power. It is reliable and well made and if that is purpose yaaay :)

ETTL and ETTL2 is decided by Type A, Type B and Type C camera compatibility. All cameras from 2012 and onwards are Type A and include 5 groups (a,b,c,d,e) and RT functionality. Ones from 2004 or somewhere around that time till 2012 are Type B (30D, 40D, 50D) and are still E-TTL2, but only have 3 groups and optical master slave. Type C are all cameras prior to that like EOS V and alike and are compatible with E-TTL version 1.

All EOS cameras are backward compatible, so 550EX will work on even newest camera, just wont measure light according to latest standard. Flash compensation should work from camera, due to nature of FC, but any other change wont.

I own YN600EX-II RT and i love it. I do have to moan about rubber gasket that is used to lock flash to camera ... those are such a flimsy design and get lost sooo easily. But other then that ... stellar flash.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi mihazero.
I guess the site I checked was wrong then, oh well c‘est la vie. ;)
I have a couple of the YN 600EX II RT a YN E3 RT and 2 of the YN E3 RX which allows my 550EX or Triopo flashes to be added to the RT mix, the RX can also be used as a remote trigger via the YN E3 RT either with or without a flash mounted giving the opportunity to point a flash where you want without the need for a stand. I too like the build and power of the 550 and I also have a complaint about the YN 600 units, but mine is the little flaps that cover the smaller ports don’t like to stay closed, particularly the bracket mounting hole and the power port give me most hassle! :rolleyes:

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Valvebounce,

In order to make sure I have downloaded 550EX manual and even checked on some websites and 550EX is e-TTL v1 compatible. That basicly means older metering compatiblity, no in camera options, camera gives flash less information so that it may make decision how much flash its needed. Dont get me wrong I used to own 550EX and back in the day it was stellar flash. It still is today, but more in a manual brick kind of way that can output a mountain of power. It is reliable and well made and if that is purpose yaaay :)

ETTL and ETTL2 is decided by Type A, Type B and Type C camera compatibility. All cameras from 2012 and onwards are Type A and include 5 groups (a,b,c,d,e) and RT functionality. Ones from 2004 or somewhere around that time till 2012 are Type B (30D, 40D, 50D) and are still E-TTL2, but only have 3 groups and optical master slave. Type C are all cameras prior to that like EOS V and alike and are compatible with E-TTL version 1.

All EOS cameras are backward compatible, so 550EX will work on even newest camera, just wont measure light according to latest standard. Flash compensation should work from camera, due to nature of FC, but any other change wont.

I own YN600EX-II RT and i love it. I do have to moan about rubber gasket that is used to lock flash to camera ... those are such a flimsy design and get lost sooo easily. But other then that ... stellar flash.

Upvote 0
So the yongnuo is selling for $115 or so then you could get the 550 for $60-70 I take it.

I have three yongnuo and two canon 600 RTs, other than pesky battery door and occasional loose hot shoe connections the yongnuos perform well and I’d buy again. I haven’t tried the godex though but they are recommended by many.

Upvote 0
I too like the build and power of the 550 and I also have a complaint about the YN 600 units, but mine is the little flaps that cover the smaller ports don’t like to stay closed, particularly the bracket mounting hole and the power port give me most hassle! :rolleyes:

I would use duct tape, mate one ... wrap it and problem solved :)

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Ah, not really! It would probably completely remove the covers the first time I had to unwrap it to put fresh batteries in it! :) Plus I hate the way sticky tape always seem to ooze sticky from the edges and leave a residue when you remove it! :mad:
I can live with these little issues as I’m not a pro using them every day, and all my flashes and triggers probably still cost less than one genuine Canon unit!
Now if I were a pro, unless someone tells me they have the same issues, I think it would be genuine Canon all the way!

Cheers, Graham.

I would use duct tape, mate one ... wrap it and problem solved :)

Upvote 0