Canon 5D Mark III w/ Canon 24-105mm kit - US $3,599.00 on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-Digital-SLR-Camer-w-Canon-24-105mm-f-4L-USM-AF-Lens-/230857493010?afepn=5335869999&campid=5335869999&PID=1225267
The seller is in the US but i do not recognize the name. With a sale of 24-105L at $850, the body works out to $2750. They are saying on ebay that the kit comes with Canon USA warranty...

Also Vistek and some other stores in Canada started to offer an additional $100 discount to the usual Canadian price $3500, so the body now is cheaper (if we are talking big reputable camera stores) in Canada at $3400.

Saw that yesterday; the rub was that you'd need an aftermarket warranty since Canon determines whether it's valid and not the seller. Also, $850 for the lens is REALLY optimistic.

I'm surprised with CL listings I put up almost a week ago, not even a single low-baller e-mailed me ;D Got one scam though, so at least it's working.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
BigValue is not a authorized Canon dealer, this has been discussed in many previous topics, and others are even now posted. Someone even called Canon and was told that there was no Warranty on items purchased from them.
BTW, they say that a US warranty card is included, but do not say that there is a US Warranty. They are being very sly about that, since Canon uses the sales receipt to determine Warranty, the card does nothing.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
bbasiaga said:
I have heard it said before that Canon USA will not repair cameras bought outside of a US authorized dealer, EVEN IF YOU PAY FOR IT. Does anyone know if that is true? That is a-whole-nother issue than just not honoring the warranty.

-Brian
From what I've heard, they are not hard nosed as long as you purchased from a authorized reseller and have the receipt.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
BigValue is not a authorized Canon dealer, this has been discussed in many previous topics, and others are even now posted. Someone even called Canon and was told that there was no Warranty on items purchased from them.
BTW, they say that a US warranty card is included, but do not say that there is a US Warranty. They are being very sly about that, since Canon uses the sales receipt to determine Warranty, the card does nothing.

Well, thats the thing - their ebay listing showed what was included with camera and one of the items was "Canon U.S.A. Warranty". Their ebay rating is also high... All together that triggered my interest...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
bbasiaga said:
Mt. Spokane

So how does that work buying from a place like BigValueInc? they're a non-authorized deaaler. Unless there are tiers of canon dealerships I'm not sure I understand your answer.

-Brian
They are not a authorized dealer. The sales receipt from them may not be recognized by any Canon repair facility anywhere in the world for warranty repair. However, you can likely pay for repair, or pay $200 for a third party warranty.
Big Value buys surplus from authorized dealers at a low price. they then turn around and liquidate it on ebay for a quick profit. Since the Canon warranty only applies to the original purchaser from a authorized dealer, there is no warranty. Its the same as if you bought up a bunch of cameras from a big sale and sold them on ebay. They may be new and have a US warranty card, but Canon will not or may not honor the warranty, because you are not a Canon dealer.
Its probably not a big deal for most, only a very few fail within a year. But, if it does fail, and needs $2000 repair, you are not going to be happy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.