Canon 5D Mark IV Long Term Review from Dustin

As I was quite critical of his 5DS/R review (later adjusted, but still not there) I should add that this is an excellent overview/review and that I can recognize everything.

Price is the real issue with the 5DIV to me. As a tool for photographic stills it shines (not into video, so have no opinion on this issue). A real upgrade from the 5DIII.

Great that he included a gallery of 8 MPIX video grabs. Too few of these around (and I confess not having made any video myself with the 5DIV and thus not been able to test this function yet).

Upvote 0
Thanks for a very good and balanced review Dustin. just got my 5D4 yesterday and I'm finding the shots to be very flat as you described, would love to know more details of how you have tweaked your jpeg settings. I use jpegs for on the day wedding slideshows on the big screen so getting the best jpeg quality would be a huge benefit to me.
Thanks! :)

Upvote 0
sold5 said:
Thanks for a very good and balanced review Dustin. just got my 5D4 yesterday and I'm finding the shots to be very flat as you described, would love to know more details of how you have tweaked your jpeg settings. I use jpegs for on the day wedding slideshows on the big screen so getting the best jpeg quality would be a huge benefit to me.
Thanks! :)

I use the Fine Detail mode, with settings of 4,3,1, and +1 on Saturation. I have all noise reduction aids turned off.

Upvote 0
pwp said:
Dustin's review certainly warmed up my interest in a 5D MkIV. But by the time you add a genuine grip and extra batteries, the $$ leap to a 1DX MkII doesn't look that huge. Better for video...

-pw

I had a day when I debated the same thing. I don't use a battery grip, though, and I prefer the 5D body size to the 1D body size. I'm not even close to needing the higher burst and buffer rates of the 1D series, though, so the 5D body actually suits my needs more. I don't regret the choice, though the 1D series is fantastic.

Upvote 0
:mad:
TeT said:
Dustin, did you find the Tamron 45 1.8 + Canon 5D4 combo to be fully functioning. Am assuming my tammy 35 1.8 will fall into the 45 1.8 boat...

It was, but I had already sent my 45 VC in for the firmware update for Tap In Compatibility when the Tap In came out. The new SP primes are actually fantastic on the 5DIV. I'm using them almost more than any lens, and can focus with whatever focus point I want with good success.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Maiaibing said:
pwp said:
Dustin's review certainly warmed up my interest in a 5D MkIV. But by the time you add a genuine grip and extra batteries, the $$ leap to a 1DX MkII doesn't look that huge. Better for video...

But, once you buy the CF-Fast cards the $$ leap is back!
That, also if you buy additional 1DxII batteries not to mention a second charger just in case it is needed! ::)

Upvote 0