Canon 5D Mark IV Shutter Actuation Lifespan

jcr

I'm New Here
Sep 6, 2016
Does anyone know what the Shutter life is on the Mark IV? I'm assuming it's surpassed the 150K by now

pwp

EOS 5D MK IV
Oct 25, 2010
I'd expect the shutter will be unchanged from the 5D MkIII. I'm on my third shutter in my 5D MkIII. They tend to last around 130k. CPS verifies this is fairly typical. You might get lucky and get one that will do a million clicks and still run fine.

-pw

jcr

I'm New Here
Sep 6, 2016
pwp said:
I'd expect the shutter will be unchanged from the 5D MkIII. I'm on my third shutter in my 5D MkIII. They tend to last around 130k. CPS verifies this is fairly typical. You might get lucky and get one that will do a million clicks and still run fine.

-pw
What did it cost you to get the shutter replaced ?

pwp

EOS 5D MK IV
Oct 25, 2010
I can never remember. It's a relatively modest amount, the inconvenience is a greater cost.
Maybe around $300. That's a potentially unreliable guess.

Short shutter life of 5 Series bodies hardens my resolve to get a 1DX MkII.

-pw

Sep 11, 2016
Same as Mark III: 150,000 :(

But I hope the real life number will be much higher: both of my MK IIIs have more than 350,000 each right now ( touching on wood! ).

CPS did not give me any option than replacing the shutter on my 7D when I sent it for cleaning and they saw the 177K actuations; cost to replace the shutter was $380, mostly labor cost.

-Christophe

Loibisch

EOS M50
Aug 24, 2016
cphoto said:
CPS did not give me any option than replacing the shutter on my 7D when I sent it for cleaning and they saw the 177K actuations; cost to replace the shutter was $380, mostly labor cost.
This seems like a ripoff. You sent in in for cleaning and they mandatorily replaced the shutter even though it was still running fine? No way I would have agreed to that...

jcr

I'm New Here
Sep 6, 2016
Well it's good to know that some people had over 200k click on the Mark III. I'm sure the mark IV will last me a long time.

When I sold my Mark III it only had 41,000 clicks on it and I had it three weeks before street date. I plan on keeping my Mark IV longer this time. :D

xps

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 19, 2011
Middle Europe
Mine 5DIII shutter was replaced for about 500€ back in 2014 inclusive readjustment and sensor cleaning here in Germany.cThe reason was an scratching noise when the mirror moved back, caused by dust.

Sep 11, 2016
Loibisch said:
cphoto said:
This seems like a ripoff. You sent in in for cleaning and they mandatorily replaced the shutter even though it was still running fine? No way I would have agreed to that...
This is what I got from CPS at the time: at 257K actuations I knew it was a question of days before the shutter would fail, so I agreed to the replacement.

Description of Problem/Symptoms Updated estimate: unit has high shot count (257,800) and requires shutter replacement. Required service exceeds CMS. Check and clean all functions, repair to good working order. Cost reflects 20% CPS gold discount.

Sep 12, 2016
pwp said:
I can never remember. It's a relatively modest amount, the inconvenience is a greater cost.

-pw
What memory CF brand are you using with Mark IV?

pwp

EOS 5D MK IV
Oct 25, 2010
chuckk said:
pwp said:

-pw
What memory CF brand are you using with Mark IV?
I don't have a 5D MkIV, and will probably pass on it in favor of the 1DX MkII.
Currently for my 5D MkIII, 7D MkII & 1D MkIV I use Lexar 64Gb 1066x 160MB/s UDMA 7 CF cards. B&H often have great bundle offers on Lexar.

-pw

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
My 1dx failed at 165.000 actuations. Bottom line is, you can never use the number Canon states for anything. We have extended 5 year warranty here so I didn't pay. But 165 is WAY off the 400 Canon thinks it should do. That number is an average

Murdy

I'm New Here
Jul 30, 2012
Only slightly off topic, but I had a 5D mk1 that failed at almost 900k and that was only because I got sand in the shutter, otherwise (I assume) it would have gone on longer. My mk3 is currently at 600k with no problems (famous last words).

pwp

EOS 5D MK IV
Oct 25, 2010
Murdy said:
Only slightly off topic, but I had a 5D mk1 that failed at almost 900k and that was only because I got sand in the shutter, otherwise (I assume) it would have gone on longer. My mk3 is currently at 600k with no problems (famous last words).
Ditto with a 5D Classic...over 800k when I gave it to an assistant who used it for ages. I've never put a new shutter in a 1-Series, most have been retired at around the 500-600k mark, all original.

-pw

Aug 22, 2010
Uk
www.GMCPhotographics.co.uk
pwp said:
Murdy said:
Ditto with a 5D Classic...over 800k when I gave it to an assistant who used it for ages. I've never put a new shutter in a 1-Series, most have been retired at around the 500-600k mark, all original.

-pw
Have you had the mirror glass fall out? Apparently (well according to DPR) it's a common issue on a 5D classic, although I've never heard anyone with this issue.

Murdy

I'm New Here
Jul 30, 2012
No problems with the mirror glass. I've never even heard of that happening, although I don't doubt that anything that can go wrong will go wrong at some point :)

pwp

EOS 5D MK IV
Oct 25, 2010
The mirror issue was a "thing" with 5D classics. Canon offered a recall.
https://www.canon.com.au/~/media/News/Support-News/Notice-2009-02-EOS5D.ashx
http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-issues-eos-5d-classic-service-advisory/
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11646.0

My long retired high mileage 5D was unaffected. This will be the case for the majority of 5D classics.

-pw

Mar 30, 2018
New Zealand
I have a 5D MK III with current shutter count 276K (3 years old) and still going fine. I had a play with the 5D MK IV and the first thing I noticed was the shutter is noticeably quieter on the MK IV. Also the shutter mechanism doesn't transmit as much vibration through the body of the MK IV. So I guess some improvements have been implemented.

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
pwp said:
The mirror issue was a "thing" with 5D classics. Canon offered a recall.
https://www.canon.com.au/~/media/News/Support-News/Notice-2009-02-EOS5D.ashx
http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-issues-eos-5d-classic-service-advisory/
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11646.0

My long retired high mileage 5D was unaffected. This will be the case for the majority of 5D classics.

-pw
Yours probably was a later 5D with serial number starting 2 or 3 and had the mirror mod done at build. My first 5D from 2005 had the mirror fall off around 2010, so I was then the owner of a Canon FF mirrorless. Didn't like it ;)

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
Sep 8, 2012
My 5Diii was put up for sale at about 50,000 shutter clicks. Got a great deal on the 5Div refurbed with about 3000 actuations that I could not pass up. There is no question that the new camera's shutter is quieter. Hopefully, the new one is just as bulletproof / reliable as the old.

For context, I once had to replace the shutter on an old Canon D50 after photos of volcanic dust (looked like snow) in Argentina. That was not too expensive, IIRC. That camera had nowhere near the seals and "weather proofing" as the 5Diii and now 5Div.