Canon 5D MARK V probably in June/July?

Jan 13, 2020
I've noticed that the 5D has usually been updated within 5-6 months of the 1D over the past decade. Since the 1DX MARK III just got announced this month, that would put the announcement date somewhere around June/July.

Have there been any rumors to support this yet?

navastronia

EOS RP + 5D Classic
Aug 31, 2018
I don't think there are any substantial rumors about a 5DV in June/July. I think it's really unknown at this time whether there will be another EF mount 5D release, especially given how 5D-esque the R is turning out to be (doubly so given the reported specs for the RII).

Jan 13, 2020
I'm reasonably certain that there will be a 5DmkV. In one of the white papers they released today they wrote,
"Separately, the past five years have seen the rapid adoption of the mirrorless alternative to the established optical viewfinder-based DSLR. But, that still remains a gigantic global base and many are not ready to let go of a long familiarity with the DSLR that has served so many, so well. Canon has definitively stepped into the mirrorless world and has a firmly established roadmap to serve this growing constituency with both R-mount lenses and cameras. Nevertheless, a still well-defined parallel domain of DSLR and mirrorless has dictated a major development into a whole new- generation DSLR — and that is the EOS-1D X Mark III — the topic of this paper."

navastronia

EOS RP + 5D Classic
Aug 31, 2018
I'm reasonably certain that there will be a 5DmkV. In one of the white papers they released today they wrote,
I think they mean exactly what they're saying, which is that they made the 1DX iii because they believe their customers want that kind of DSLR.

Reactions: Maximilian

navastronia

EOS RP + 5D Classic
Aug 31, 2018
Bear in mind, I'm not saying you won't get a 5DV, but I am saying that I don't think it's a great idea to try to read between the lines with this kind of thing.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
With all the EOS R stuff predicted for this year (two bodies, several lenses) and together with the 1DX3 my guess is that a 5D5 is "too much" for this year.
I really would like to see yet another iteration of the 5D series, either this or next year. But If I would have to place a bet I'd put it on a later in 2021 date.

Rumors on a 5D5 were only few and quite vague.

Reactions: navastronia