Canon 5D MARK V probably in June/July?

I'm reasonably certain that there will be a 5DmkV. In one of the white papers they released today they wrote,
"Separately, the past five years have seen the rapid adoption of the mirrorless alternative to the established optical viewfinder-based DSLR. But, that still remains a gigantic global base and many are not ready to let go of a long familiarity with the DSLR that has served so many, so well. Canon has definitively stepped into the mirrorless world and has a firmly established roadmap to serve this growing constituency with both R-mount lenses and cameras. Nevertheless, a still well-defined parallel domain of DSLR and mirrorless has dictated a major development into a whole new- generation DSLR — and that is the EOS-1D X Mark III — the topic of this paper."

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I'm reasonably certain that there will be a 5DmkV. In one of the white papers they released today they wrote,

I think they mean exactly what they're saying, which is that they made the 1DX iii because they believe their customers want that kind of DSLR.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
With all the EOS R stuff predicted for this year (two bodies, several lenses) and together with the 1DX3 my guess is that a 5D5 is "too much" for this year.
I really would like to see yet another iteration of the 5D series, either this or next year. But If I would have to place a bet I'd put it on a later in 2021 date.

Rumors on a 5D5 were only few and quite vague.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
the biggest complaint i heard from people about the 5div was that it was great etc, but the video files were unmanageable because of file size etc.. Now, if this eos r5 gets 8k, how is THAT going to be managed by the average joe with his 4-8g ram pc?
Your average Joe with appetite to purchase a US$4000 camera body and a US$2000+ lens or even few lenses would definitely be in a position to acquire a PC with at least 16-32Gb of RAM. Ram is cheap these days.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Let's see the price point of the R5.

In the "Mirrorless" vs "DSLR" battle, the logic I have bought into is that mirrorless is much easier and less expensive to manufacturer due to it being mostly automated. To an extent, we've seen that with the R and RP, but they had no specific DSLR peers.

Now, if the R5 comes out at $3,500, then a similarly spec'd 5DV can come out at $3,500 as well. Canon just makes extra profit on the R5. But if Canon prices the R5 lower, especially much lower, I view it as a bad sign for the 5DV as the larger the difference, the more you can save buying an R5, the smaller the market would be for the 5DV.

While you can argue Canon will just take the profit, but the more I am seeing this market develop, I suspect Canon now WANTs you to go mirrorless so you start buying their uber expensive RF lenses. This won't be about bodies, it will be about getting the market to transition.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Let's see the price point of the R5.

In the "Mirrorless" vs "DSLR" battle, the logic I have bought into is that mirrorless is much easier and less expensive to manufacturer due to it being mostly automated. To an extent, we've seen that with the R and RP, but they had no specific DSLR peers.

Now, if the R5 comes out at $3,500, then a similarly spec'd 5DV can come out at $3,500 as well. Canon just makes extra profit on the R5. But if Canon prices the R5 lower, especially much lower, I view it as a bad sign for the 5DV as the larger the difference, the more you can save buying an R5, the smaller the market would be for the 5DV.

While you can argue Canon will just take the profit, but the more I am seeing this market develop, I suspect Canon now WANTs you to go mirrorless so you start buying their uber expensive RF lenses. This won't be about bodies, it will be about getting the market to transition.
You make quite a few assumptions. Some of them may be correct. I have no way of knowing, so I suspect that you might not either. An industrial engineer might give some insight is he or she had experience in camera manufacturing. Right off to me, it would seem that developing new technology and implementing it in silicon would be more expensive, at least in the short run, that just putting in some mechanical parts that don't differ that much from what you have been making for 60+ years.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
just putting in some mechanical parts that don't differ that much from what you have been making for 60+ years.
It looks to me like putting in the same old mechanical parts just doesn't cut it anymore.

The 1DX uses a different kind of low pass filter, a different drive mechanism for the mirrors, and a radically different focus sensor. And even so, it doesn't manage to deliver features like eye AF in the viewfinder, and technically it is matched in speed by a far cheaper model, if the R6 specs are on point.

To bring the OVF performance close to the rumored performance of the R5, Canon would have to go with hardware close to that of the new 1DX III. There will be a cost associated with that. And I believe this is a significant cost, which is also the reason we're not getting an EOS 7D III. Pushing beyond the AF and speed of the current DSLR may require mechanics that become only feasible if you have a 1D X kind of price tag to work with.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

I think - but I may be mistaken - that a 5D Mark V is coming sooner than later because:
1) it's probably a joint development along with the R5 (many people present the R5 as the mirrorless version of the 5D line and I do think many components can be shared), so it makes sense to introduce them (almost) together
2) providing both camera at almost the same time would also allow Canon to see people's response to this mirrorless vs DSLR choice
3) on the other hand, releasing the 5D Mark V a year or so after the R5 does not make any sense to me, especially if the 5D Mark V is similarly spec'ed. People will probably switch to a R5 rather than wait yet another year, thus leaving the 5D Mark V with a rather thin market. Not worthwhile imho. Canon has to come up with a new compelling DSLR, otherwise people will think DSLR is dead which it isn"t yet. The 1DX III mainly appeals to Olympics photographers, so that won't do (at least not for me).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You make quite a few assumptions. Some of them may be correct. I have no way of knowing, so I suspect that you might not either. An industrial engineer might give some insight is he or she had experience in camera manufacturing. Right off to me, it would seem that developing new technology and implementing it in silicon would be more expensive, at least in the short run, that just putting in some mechanical parts that don't differ that much from what you have been making for 60+ years.
Costs are generally figured according to part account. A mechanical camera has more parts and cost more to service due to lower reliability. Thats certainly a part of the reason why Canon is willing to lower prices on the mirrorless models. The other part is to gain market share as fast as possible, and to generate sales for very profitable lenses.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
the biggest complaint i heard from people about the 5div was that it was great etc, but the video files were unmanageable because of file size etc.. Now, if this eos r5 gets 8k, how is THAT going to be managed by the average joe with his 4-8g ram pc?
The 5D IV takes other resolutions lower than 4K. Just because your car has a speedometer that goes to 140 mph does not mean most people drive it that fast. If they do, they will probably invest in a lot of other expensive add-ons.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Costs are generally figured according to part account. A mechanical camera has more parts and cost more to service due to lower reliability. Thats certainly a part of the reason why Canon is willing to lower prices on the mirrorless models. The other part is to gain market share as fast as possible, and to generate sales for very profitable lenses.

Or, to add a flourish of unnecessary drama, Canon may be in a three-way knife fight for its ILC division's life. I just don't see a large enough market for the three big names to continue as we know them today, and this is also why I don't think Canon will continue development of FF dSLR's beyond the current release cycle. (As we remember from recent news, reps are already stating that Ef is effectively being mothballed.) Sustaining too many product lines does not seem to be the kind of aggressive, all-in approach winning requires. (Just conjectures!)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

Disk space is ridiculously cheap these days.....

IMHO, not that much of an argument any more...and if it is, you can always choose to shoot in a lower resolution which generates smaller file sizes....

C

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...A mechanical camera has more parts and cost more to service due to lower reliability...

Electronic parts cannot be serviced at all, but must be replaced, usually as a full assembly or unit. Plus, mechanical parts often continue to function while electronic parts just quit working.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
(As we remember from recent news, reps are already stating that Ef is effectively being mothballed.)...

I remember one Canon executive saying that for the time being they are concentrating on RF lenses and not developing new EF lenses unless consumers demand them. Not the same as "mothballing" and also kind of a self-evident statement. Why would Canon ever develop lenses that consumers are not demanding?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I remember one Canon executive saying that for the time being they are concentrating on RF lenses and not developing new EF lenses unless consumers demand them. Not the same as "mothballing" and also kind of a self-evident statement. Why would Canon ever develop lenses that consumers are not demanding?

We are approaching Valentine's Day, generally a time for romantics, not semantics. :giggle:

Upvote 0