Canon 5D MARK V probably in June/July?

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Here we go again. How many times do I have to give you the quote from Canon?

“As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system. To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

Not a word about withdrawing "from use or service." Nothing about keeping "in reserve." Nothing even about putting aside.

In fact, as I re-read the quote, I notice that they specifically reference creating "new EF lenses." No mention at all about not updating existing lenses. Certainly no suggestion they intend to retire any EF lenses.

I recognize that you have convinced yourself of the inevitability of RF replacing EF. It's certainly possible, but that is not what I criticize. My criticism is based solely on the way people on this forum embellish this simple straightforward quote and pretend that is says something that it doesn't.

If Canon is content to wait and see how the market shakes out, why should forum experts think they are so much better at predicting the future?

I think in this context, there is little if any difference between "new EF lenses" and updates of existing EF lenses. Canon always refers to version "II" or "III" lenses as a "new lens" when they are introducing them.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I'm really fascinated to see what the new generation of EVFs on the upcoming bodies looks like. Even assuming they save the best for the 1DX III, that's what will drip-feed down into other models that I might be actually able to buy in years to come.

When did the 1D X Mark III get an EVF?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think in this context, there is little if any difference between "new EF lenses" and updates of existing EF lenses. Canon always refers to version "II" or "III" lenses as a "new lens" they are introducing.
I think you are probably right. I do expect that we will still see some 70-200 2.8 III-style "updates" in the future. Possibly driven by the desire to standardize some manufacturing processes or just because it's a cheap way to refresh a popular lens. It also wouldn't surprise me if we see a new version of the 500 f4 where they've pumped in more helium to lighten the load, as with the 400 f2.8. I have a gut feeling that that was already on the drawing boards when they switched their emphasis to the RF series and it may be far enough along so as not to require a big investment. Plus, I think the Big Whites will be the last lenses to convert to RF.

The biggest victim of their change in priorities may be the much rumored 100-500-ish zoom. Unless they determine that they really need to revive the 7D, I doubt that lens will see the light of day in an EF version. An RF version will be dependent on whether or not the autofocus/EVF of the R series can be brought up to the level of DSLRs.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You forgot L1 and L2 cache inside the processor. That's where having enough memory can really speed things up. It's also very expensive to put a lot of L1/L2 cache into a processor.
With RAM you at least have the option of getting enough to never or rarely run out of it. And having the data you're working on in system memory is still a lot faster than fetching the relevant bits from a drive, even if it is an NVMe SSD.

On the other hand, bringing performance of an actual EVF up to the performance of an actual OVF (in terms of "lag") doesn't cost a thing, right?
Might cost a soul to the devil if 'up to the performance' mean 'up to the speed of light'.

My point is really just this:

Canon may be in a weird position regarding the 5D V, because it may be more expensive to produce and therefore be priced above the R5. And at the same time, the 5D V will have some of it's most key specs like silent shooting, highest speed and eye AF only available in LiveView, like it is in the 1DX III. And that feels odd to me, given that you buy a 5D V vs a R5 because you're more interested in the OVF.

What I feel on the subject has no effect on what Canon plans to do, so if you disagree, feel free to do so. In each case it will be interesting to see how they handle the situation.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
The biggest victim of their change in priorities may be the much rumored 100-500-ish zoom. Unless they determine that they really need to revive the 7D, I doubt that lens will see the light of day in an EF version. An RF version will be dependent on whether or not the autofocus/EVF of the R series can be brought up to the level of DSLRs.

I don’t think an EF version of that 100-500 is feasible. I don’t think Canon has made (or will ever make) an EF lens slower than f5.6 - mainly because that would be beyond the AF capabilities of most of their DSLRs...

MILC doesn’t have that restriction, hence the birth of the ultraslow lens category...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don’t think an EF version of that 100-500 is feasible. I don’t think Canon has made (or will ever make) an EF lens slower than f5.6 - mainly because that would be beyond the AF capabilities of most of their DSLRs...

MILC doesn’t have that restriction, hence the birth of the ultraslow lens category...
I should have clarified that I was thinking of a 5.6 zoom. L quality, not the bargain zoom from Nikon.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

AF capabilities of DLSRs past F5.6 are just fine, even at F8. however, OVF gets really dark and framing becomes rather uncomfortable with lenses slower than F5.6. not an issue with EVF.

Upvote 0
Smart phones can shoot 4K. My old iPhone does. Of course I usually need to shoot 4K with the phone so I can crop down to 1080p or 720p for "zooming" in.

Yes, smart phones can shoot 4K. Does the average Joe use a stabilizer to make that 4K video looks good, or does he accept Blair Witch Project quality video? Does Joe even have a 4K screen?

[Asking my larger family what screens they have, there are a lot more don't know or care than people who know their large TV is 4K, and most are happy with their 2K computer screen. My computer & smartphone screens are both 2K. I don't have a TV for over 15 years.]

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
AF capabilities of DLSRs past F5.6 are just fine, even at F8. however, OVF gets really dark and framing becomes rather uncomfortable with lenses slower than F5.6. not an issue with EVF.

AF capabilities of some DSLRs (5Ds and 1Ds). Most Canon cameras now do have at least one f/8 AF point (technically even the recent x00D's have up to 27 f/8 points but only with two lens/extender combinations), but I wouldn't call that "just fine". And yes, the f/5.6 limit is just a software one, but there's a reason for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
the biggest complaint i heard from people about the 5div was that it was great etc, but the video files were unmanageable because of file size etc.. Now, if this eos r5 gets 8k, how is THAT going to be managed by the average joe with his 4-8g ram pc?

A decent compression algorithm and a move away from Mjpeg.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
the biggest complaint i heard from people about the 5div was that it was great etc, but the video files were unmanageable because of file size etc.. Now, if this eos r5 gets 8k, how is THAT going to be managed by the average joe with his 4-8g ram pc?

8K is not for the average joe, period. But the R5 shoots h.265 4K which is way more lightweight than MJPEG.

Upvote 0