Canon 5D MKIV - Slow write speed with DLO on

JRPhotos

5D4, 24-105LII, 70-300L, 35 1.4II, 85L 1.2II, 100L
Jan 19, 2014
Maine
www.jrogdenphotography.com
I turned Digital Lens Optimizer on to see how it would come out in PS, I've always liked the results in Canon's software and wish that I could implement in PS, now I can with this. However, the write speed after taking one photo is about 2~ seconds before I can take another. I'm wondering if it's my CF card.

Sandsil Extreme 16GB... UDMA7

Jun 20, 2013
JRPhotos said:
I turned Digital Lens Optimizer on to see how it would come out in PS, I've always liked the results in Canon's software and wish that I could implement in PS, now I can with this. However, the write speed after taking one photo is about 2~ seconds before I can take another. I'm wondering if it's my CF card.

DLO does a ton of things and uses deconvolution to boot. 2 seconds seems slow, but I can certainly see it slowing down your shot to shot times.

Upvote 0

JRPhotos

Jan 19, 2014
Maine
Viggo said:
I thought DLO was for jpeg only?

RAW as well, I also only have it set to shoot in RAW only, not RAW/JPG.

Would a faster card help? I'll have to really examine 2 photographs of the same subject, 1 on 1 off in PS and see if I notice the difference. In DPP the sharpening was noticeable.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
JRPhotos said:
I'll have to really examine 2 photographs of the same subject, 1 on 1 off in PS and see if I notice the difference. In DPP the sharpening was noticeable.

I'm not sure why you're expecting a difference in PS, since DLO only works in DPP for RAW images. Unless you're comparing RAW processes with DLO in DPP vs. with lens modules in ACR/PS.

Upvote 0

JRPhotos

Jan 19, 2014
Maine
neuroanatomist said:
JRPhotos said:
I'll have to really examine 2 photographs of the same subject, 1 on 1 off in PS and see if I notice the difference. In DPP the sharpening was noticeable.

I'm not sure why you're expecting a difference in PS, since DLO only works in DPP for RAW images. Unless you're comparing RAW processes with DLO in DPP vs. with lens modules in ACR/PS.
My impression was that the 5DIV writes/applies the DLO data right to the RAW file, unlike in my 7DII I have to apply it in DPP. I was under the impression that the RAW file would have all of the DLO tweaks applied when I loaded it in DPP.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
JRPhotos said:

The manual sort of implies in this case that it's actually altering the raw file instead of flagging it like it traditionally has for these settings Neuro. It says shooting speed is greatly reduced with it on even in raw , and that it can't be applied to s or m raw. I'm not sure why shooting speed would be affected if it was just flagging like it does for htp and such.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tr573 said:
neuroanatomist said:
JRPhotos said:

The manual sort of implies in this case that it's actually altering the raw file instead of flagging it like it traditionally has for these settings Neuro. It says shooting speed is greatly reduced with it on even in raw , and that it can't be applied to s or m raw. I'm not sure why shooting speed would be affected if it was just flagging like it does for htp and such.

The RAW file is bigger because inside the file container is both the original RAW file and the DLO-corrected RAW file (and the thumbnail jpg). ACR only reads the original, and only DPP can read the DLO-corrected one.

Upvote 0

foo

Sep 10, 2016
neuroanatomist said:
The RAW file is bigger because inside the file container is both the original RAW file and the DLO-corrected RAW file (and the thumbnail jpg). ACR only reads the original, and only DPP can read the DLO-corrected one.

that's not the case here, with DLO turned on the raw is roughly the same ~33MB size as without.

VF display shows the buffer depth at 1 with DLO enabled and you're down to something like 0.5fps continuous, so you'd have to think it's using the memory normally used for buffer to do the DLO process directly in camera.

Turning on all of the other corrections apart from DLO leaves you with a much higher buffer.
I also seem to lose 2 from the reported buffer depth when enabling Distortion correction, nothing for any of the other corrections though.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
JRPhotos said:
neuroanatomist said:
JRPhotos said:

My impression was that the 5DIV writes/applies the DLO data right to the RAW file, unlike in my 7DII I have to apply it in DPP. I was under the impression that the RAW file would have all of the DLO tweaks applied when I loaded it in DPP.

I doubt it.. should be easy to tell though.. look for CA with DLO on and off in LR.

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
Is there a beta RAW converter for Adobe somewhere? I couldn't find one searching. I use the Creative Cloud versions and there is no support for even the Standard 5DM4 RAW file.

And by the way for the guy that started the thread, I tried turning the in camera DLO on and yes it took a couple of seconds per shot. I was using a Sandisk Extreme Pro card which is one of the fastest CF cards out there. The card write light was on but there was a faint flicker so I don't believe it was writing to the card as fast as it could. I think it just takes the camera that long to process it. By the way, the crazy thing was that the resulting image was less sharp than the one without it turned on! I was using the old 24-105/4L IS lens (looking forward to the updated one). Opened both of them in DPP and transferred them to Photoshop without any additional processing to examine them. I didn't have time to do extensive testing, maybe later. The resulting RAW file from the camera was roughly the same size with or without DLO turned on so the camera was applying the DLO process to create the final RAW file. When I saw that I looked at the EXIF data to make sure it was really on in the camera for the file and it said that it was. The non-DLO shot had the defaults of Peripheral Illumination Correction, Chromatic Aberration Correction, and Diffraction Correction turned on. Distortion Correction and DLO turned off.

Upvote 0

JRPhotos

Jan 19, 2014
Maine
JoeDavid said:
Is there a beta RAW converter for Adobe somewhere? I couldn't find one searching. I use the Creative Cloud versions and there is no support for even the Standard 5DM4 RAW file.

And by the way for the guy that started the thread, I tried turning the in camera DLO on and yes it took a couple of seconds per shot. I was using a Sandisk Extreme Pro card which is one of the fastest CF cards out there. The card write light was on but there was a faint flicker so I don't believe it was writing to the card as fast as it could. I think it just takes the camera that long to process it. By the way, the crazy thing was that the resulting image was less sharp than the one without it turned on! I was using the old 24-105/4L IS lens (looking forward to the updated one). Opened both of them in DPP and transferred them to Photoshop without any additional processing to examine them. I didn't have time to do extensive testing, maybe later. The resulting RAW file from the camera was roughly the same size with or without DLO turned on so the camera was applying the DLO process to create the final RAW file. When I saw that I looked at the EXIF data to make sure it was really on in the camera for the file and it said that it was. The non-DLO shot had the defaults of Peripheral Illumination Correction, Chromatic Aberration Correction, and Diffraction Correction turned on. Distortion Correction and DLO turned off.
No beta that I can find... I too am waiting for ACR. For now, have DLO off, it will probably stay that way as I need the speed. I didn't notice much difference and prefer to use ACR for sharpening anyways.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
tr573 said:
neuroanatomist said:
JRPhotos said:

that used to be the case, not really so with DPP 4.x though.

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
JRPhotos said:
JoeDavid said:

No beta that I can find... I too am waiting for ACR. For now, have DLO off, it will probably stay that way as I need the speed. I didn't notice much difference and prefer to use ACR for sharpening anyways.

By the way I did go back and take a couple of burst with the Distortion Correction setting on and off. Didn't make a bit of difference to the shooting speed so I'm not sure if it is being applied to the RAW file or just tagging it for DPP to automatically do it in Canon's program. I don't know anyway to tell for sure until ACR supports the new body.

Upvote 0
JRPhotos said:

That's not so shocking, this isn't like a simple geometry or vignette correction. DLO involves some heavy computational lifting, IIRC my overclocked 3770K took about 30 seconds to apply DLO using DPP so 2 seconds is not shabby at all. Maybe a nice workaround would be the ability to apply DLO in camera, but post capture.

Upvote 0
It takes processing power to apply any effect (from simple illumination corr. To DLO). And DLO is a pretty heavy and complex process applied at once.

So it is what it is. If you want it ON you'll lose speed and vice versa.

Turning High ISO NR from Standard to Strong on the 80D takes away a significant amount of speed and buffer, but I leave it ON and use S1 1920x1280p with Portrait picture style JPEGs for family/friends outings.

So, Priorities.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
raptor3x said:
JRPhotos said:

That's not so shocking, this isn't like a simple geometry or vignette correction. DLO involves some heavy computational lifting, IIRC my overclocked 3770K took about 30 seconds to apply DLO using DPP so 2 seconds is not shabby at all. Maybe a nice workaround would be the ability to apply DLO in camera, but post capture.

it does something like 15 different corrections - the most intensive being of course AA and aperture deconvolution, since they are iterative processes on the image.

Upvote 0