Canon 5d mkIV vs Sony A7R III vs Nikon D850

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Interesting! Just 20 days ago I encountered some cases where I could not focus at small birds with my 5DsR and 400 DOII. Also I has encountered a case 13 months ago with 5DsR and 500mm f/4. In the latter case the bird was in the shadows and I was shooting almost against the sun. But not in the first case. Annoyed this year I changed AF servo settings to balance shutter release with af and turned the af ring manually! In fact I used kind of focus stacking since being short sighted I could not be 100% sure about my manual focusing. True these were rare cases but still annoying.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AlanF said:
Returned this morning from New Zealand. Our guide in one of the reserves had a D850 and a Nikkor 400mm/2.8. He had great difficulty focussing on small birds in darkish foliage close by whereas my wife with a 100-400mm II on a 5DSR at f/5.6 and I with a 400mm DO II on a 5DIV at f/4 had no difficulties. This is just a one-off report, but it goes to show that there is more to AF than nominal sensitivity in ev at the centre or the ability to track.

Interesting insights. Thanks sharing!

Upvote 0