Canon 5Dc as an entry for FF? yay or nay?

5Dc as an entry level FF.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Synomis192 said:
jayvo86 said:
It depends on your needs. Keep in mind tethering is no longer supported with LR on Lion/ML. However, I don't have AF issues. I even use the out focus points on my 50 1.2L to get in-focus shots.

That said...The 6D is very tempting with it's extra low light sensitivity and light weight.

can you go into a little more detail, about this whole LR Lion/ML stuff? I don't know what it means. haha.
Tethering is connecting to the camera over USB and seeing live-view, controlling settings and taking shots. You'll only be able to download images from the camera. I'm sure there's other examples but tethering is mainly handy for studio situations or if your camera is setup in an unusual position where you can't get at the controls.

Upvote 0
I actually tried out a 5Dc a few years ago, as a cheap way to get into full-frame.

I had two problems with the 5Dc which led to me immediately reselling it about two weeks later.

1) small, low-resolution rear LCD. I know you already know this, but it was a big deal to me.
2) No live-view. None at all. This was the deal breaker for me. I don't care about movies, but there are times where I need to put the mirror up and use live-view to take a shot.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Synomis192 said:
I know I've asked this before, but I kind of want a solid answer. I really do want to go FF but seeing as a used 5Dc is the only real alternative I have, I'm asking if it's actually worth it. I'm looking to keep my collection strictly EF glass because I do want to upgrade to a 5Dmk3 one day. I understand the limitations of a 5Dc (sluggish feel, horrible LCD, slow FPS, average AF) Is the 5Dc still a trust worthy FF camera that offers the basic needs of an amatuer street,landscape, and portrait photographer?

I've shot the 5Dc for years and In my taste's, produced the best digital files that are most similar to film. If I had to do it all over again, I'd skip the Rebel series and straight to a 5Dc. You can add a focus screen for fast primes which my 5D3 doesn't offer. :mad:

Its just a camera, No extra fluff. I didn't have Liveview on my OM-1, because that's what distance scales are for. ::)

You can buy a 5Dc, 50mm 1.4, 100mm f/2 for just the price of a MK2.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Shot the 5Dc everytime until just upgrading to the MKIII. Highly recommend. Lack of live view is a bit annoying at times, but the files are great. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to sell it now that I have the MKIII.

The MKII will run maybe twice the price. Also great IQ and newer menus and live view....just have to decide if that is worth a couple hundred bucks to you.

-Brian

Upvote 0
I'm still rocking the 5D. Yes, there are some features that I'd like to have that newer cameras offer. (Tehtering, Live View, 100 percent VF, etc...)

However, I'm still working on my glass collection. Canon doesn't really have anything that speaks to me on a personal level and I'm not really making much money.

Being that I own a FF camera and could possibly get a back up for 600-700 bucks, it makes sense for me to stick with it until I really NEED an upgrade.

Besides...look at the attached image of my son.

For a camera that isn't supposed to be good at high iso, not great at focusing with outer focus points, and a lens that's a little soft wide open this isn't bad.

Canon 5D, 50 1.2L @ 1.2, ISO 3200, Outer focus point used for focus.

Attachments

• Connor_Playing (1 of 1).jpg
    Connor_Playing (1 of 1).jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 1,354
Upvote 0
jayvo86 said:
I'm still rocking the 5D. Yes, there are some features that I'd like to have that newer cameras offer. (Tehtering, Live View, 100 percent VF, etc...)

However, I'm still working on my glass collection. Canon doesn't really have anything that speaks to me on a personal level and I'm not really making much money.

Being that I own a FF camera and could possibly get a back up for 600-700 bucks, it makes sense for me to stick with it until I really NEED an upgrade.

Besides...look at the attached image of my son.

For a camera that isn't supposed to be good at high iso, not great at focusing with outer focus points, and a lens that's a little soft wide open this isn't bad.

Canon 5D, 50 1.2L @ 1.2, ISO 3200, Outer focus point used for focus.

What a cute kid :D I like that shot a lot. Especially the fact that it was shot at 3200 :D

PVS said:
no AA option, nuff said

What's so good/bad about having no AA?

bbasiaga said:
Shot the 5Dc everytime until just upgrading to the MKIII. Highly recommend. Lack of live view is a bit annoying at times, but the files are great. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to sell it now that I have the MKIII.

The MKII will run maybe twice the price. Also great IQ and newer menus and live view....just have to decide if that is worth a couple hundred bucks to you.

-Brian

I don't like using live view. It eats up my batteries for my 500d, and it feels slow because the mirror is up. haha. I like having a physical mirror that clicks and clacks and stuff.

Upgrading to the 5dmkII does sound extremely nice, but I'm not going to anytime soon. I get paid minimum age and make less than $5000 a year, I still live with my parents, I have a girlfriend and I'm going to college. *I'm a typical 18 year old, and having extremely professional equipment at this age seems quite insensible

Upvote 0
Re: Canon 5D as an entry for FF? yay or nay?

Yes, particularly if you find one with light use (they do appear) - of course, a lot depends on what sorts of photography you're in to...

They are getting on a bit though, so care is needed

I still keep my 1Ds as a backup camera - the batteries run down rather faster than a modern camera, but it's actually just fine still for a lot of my work (quite a lot of my commercial work is only ever printed in brochures, or used on the web). Of course, getting an old 1 series will get you used to 1 series AF, handling and a very bright clear viewfinder... this may build arm strength and additionally, adversely affect your appreciation of the XXD and XXXD range ;-)

Upvote 0
Nay from me given your current situation. I'd rather invest in some good EF lenses. In most situations, your 500D can produce pictures that are indiscernable from a FF camera at equivalent focal lengths.

I've owned several 5Dc's, most recently right before 5D III hit the stores. Coming from a more modern camera (5DII), I have to say the LCD was a bit frustrating to use. It's nigh impossible to determine if the image is tack sharp, or just slightly OOF. I also found the colors to be off (greenish cast).

On the other hand, the images are really good, and I didn't really miss the IQ of the 5D II/III (at ISO<1600). It's a "no frills" image making machine.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of used 5D's will come with dirty sensors, and if you're not comfortable cleaning it yourself, you may want to factor in that additional cost.

Upvote 0
Pyrenees said:
Strange voting setup :eek:

Edit: I voted for Yay (aka "Yes").

Great sharpness capabilities, beautiful colour rendition. Also love the simplicity of the thing.

Sold mine about 8 months ago. What a mistake that was :(

Orginally, that NO. was supposed to be a joke and have only one person voting for NO. because someone on the topic just posted NO. haha.

The simplicity of the 5Dc is what really draws me to it as well. Nice to know it retains the film shooting experience in a sense.

SambalOelek said:
Nay from me given your current situation. I'd rather invest in some good EF lenses. In most situations, your 500D can produce pictures that are indiscernable from a FF camera at equivalent focal lengths.

I've owned several 5Dc's, most recently right before 5D III hit the stores. Coming from a more modern camera (5DII), I have to say the LCD was a bit frustrating to use. It's nigh impossible to determine if the image is tack sharp, or just slightly OOF. I also found the colors to be off (greenish cast).

On the other hand, the images are really good, and I didn't really miss the IQ of the 5D II/III (at ISO<1600). It's a "no frills" image making machine.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of used 5D's will come with dirty sensors, and if you're not comfortable cleaning it yourself, you may want to factor in that additional cost.

Thanks for the feedback on the LCD, I think the LCD will be the biggest gripe about the camera but I think I can last. For the EF lenses, I would but I don't like the fact that the 24-105mm f/4L is considered a tele-lens. I like shooting really wide, which is why I'm considering getting the 17-40mm f/4L first.

keithcooper said:
Yes, particularly if you find one with light use (they do appear) - of course, a lot depends on what sorts of photography you're in to...

I still keep my 1Ds as a backup camera - the batteries run down rather faster than a modern camera, but it's actually just fine still for a lot of my work (quite a lot of my commercial work is only ever printed in brochures, or used on the web). Of course, getting an old 1 series will get you used to 1 series AF, handling and a very bright clear viewfinder... this may build arm strength and additionally, adversely affect your appreciation of the XXD and XXXD range ;-)

I've considered the Canon 1Ds MKii as well. It look like it can handle a lot, but is the IQ, DR and the High ISO as good as a 5Dc?

Upvote 0
I went from a 5Dc to a 5D3... When I got the 5Dc, the 5Dii cost about $2500...

Get the 5Dc for nice flesh tones and nice DoF.

However the other big advantage of FF is ISO performance... in that regard it is no better than the T2i... add to that no Auto ISO... So the only real advantage over an older Rebel is shallow DoF...

I say get a 5Dii... thats a big jump over the T2i and 5Dc.

Upvote 0
Synomis192 said:
Pyrenees said:
Strange voting setup :eek:

Edit: I voted for Yay (aka "Yes").

Great sharpness capabilities, beautiful colour rendition. Also love the simplicity of the thing.

Sold mine about 8 months ago. What a mistake that was :(

Orginally, that NO. was supposed to be a joke and have only one person voting for NO. because someone on the topic just posted NO. haha.

The simplicity of the 5Dc is what really draws me to it as well. Nice to know it retains the film shooting experience in a sense.

SambalOelek said:

Thanks for the feedback on the LCD, I think the LCD will be the biggest gripe about the camera but I think I can last. For the EF lenses, I would but I don't like the fact that the 24-105mm f/4L is considered a tele-lens. I like shooting really wide, which is why I'm considering getting the 17-40mm f/4L first.

keithcooper said:

I've considered the Canon 1Ds MKii as well. It look like it can handle a lot, but is the IQ, DR and the High ISO as good as a 5Dc?

1DS2 is a little bit better than 5Dc in almost all aspects except LCD size. In fact if you compare 5D2 and 1DS2, 5D2 is just a little bit better. If you don't need to work that much in low-light I'd say 5D2 is almost the same as 1DS2. I'm waiting for 6D. If it turns out that it's not too good, I might resort to 1DS2 since I usually don't take shots in low-light. Just as 5Dc, your only gripe with 1DS2 would be the LCD. Currently 1DS2 is selling a lot cheaper than 5D2 in my place. I'm expecting the price to go down more for both so maybe next year, we'll see.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Meanwhile, to those saying about buying a 1Ds2 instead:

I would have been one of you until very recently. The 1Ds2 slots in at just over $1k, between the 5D and 5D2. And I was also contemplating buying one myself.
But there's a good thread to read here, especially the last posts on the second page, that has put me off a bit.
Notbaly the bit that a lot of settings are not settable in the camera, you must use EOS utility on WinXP via firewire to set them, no other way apparently. And seeing as I don't use XP, or even Windows (except at work, but that got Win7ed last week, it's still not working properly), that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me.
That and the crummy LCD, but seeing as I'm used to film then I could just treat it like a film camera in some respects.

Damn those images do look nice though.

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
I went form a 5Dc to a 5D3... When I got the 5Dc, the 5Dii cost about $2500...

Get the 5Dc for nice flesh tones and nice DoF.

However the other big advantage of FF is ISO performance... in that regard it is no better than the T2i... add to that no Auto ISO... So the only real advante over an older Rebel is shallow DoF...

I say get a 5Dii... thats a big jump over the T2i and 5Dc.

I know that high ISO is the same as a T2i. But upgrading from a T1i to a T2i seems like a step in the same direction going nowhere. I won't get that FF look, and I don't really see a big upgrade. I don't use the video mode on my camera anymore so I don't think I'll be using the T2i's video mode as much. That's why I'm so interested in the Canon 5Dc. It's a pure photography camera that doesn't have too many bells and whistles.

dr croubie said:
Meanwhile, to those saying about buying a 1Ds2 instead:

I would have been one of you until very recently. The 1Ds2 slots in at just over $1k, between the 5D and 5D2. And I was also contemplating buying one myself.
But there's a good thread to read here, especially the last posts on the second page, that has put me off a bit.
Notbaly the bit that a lot of settings are not settable in the camera, you must use EOS utility on WinXP via firewire to set them, no other way apparently. And seeing as I don't use XP, or even Windows (except at work, but that got Win7ed last week, it's still not working properly), that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me.
That and the crummy LCD, but seeing as I'm used to film then I could just treat it like a film camera in some respects.

Damn those images do look nice though.

Thanks Doctor, you saved my life (LOL)
I was completely considering getting a 1Ds2 but after reading that link, maaan I'm sure glad my heart is set on the 5Dc (well, it's like 75%. I still need more views from people.) I still have my WinXP machine, but It's so damn old and I don't know if I have a firewire cable to change stuff on the camera itself. Thanks so much for the warning, and you are right. Those images look soo nice from the camera.

AprilForever said:
dr croubie said:
AprilForever said:

Sounds like someone doesn't want the 5Dc getting too much interest, so the price will fall, so they can pick one up for themselves cheap :p :p

No, but good guess!!! I am patiently awaiting my 7D MK II. It will come.

Haha nice save :D just kidding. I thought that the 6D would be the replacement for the 7D, but lo and behold, it' replaced the 5DmkII :[ Why has canon not been helpful for the APS-C photographers. The T4i is mainly targeted at budget filmmakers. Why can't they make a dedicated photography camera that doesn't have a video mode anymore.

verysimplejason said:
1DS2 is a little bit better than 5Dc in almost all aspects except LCD size. In fact if you compare 5D2 and 1DS2, 5D2 is just a little bit better. If you don't need to work that much in low-light I'd say 5D2 is almost the same as 1DS2. I'm waiting for 6D. If it turns out that it's not too good, I might resort to 1DS2 since I usually don't take shots in low-light. Just as 5Dc, your only gripe with 1DS2 would be the LCD. Currently 1DS2 is selling a lot cheaper than 5D2 in my place. I'm expecting the price to go down more for both so maybe next year, we'll see.

I like the 1Ds2, but from what Dr. Croubie said, I got a majorly turned off from the camera. I do work a lot in low light though, I can't really shoot in the day because of college so I'm out shooting at around 5:00pm - 6:00pm (good think the Sun doesn't set till like 8:00pm in California :D) I also don't like how HUGE a 1D series camera is. I'm not a sports photographer, so I don't know if I can handle all of the extra weight from that behemoth of a camera.
(My T1i is gripped though... is that the same weight as a 1D camera?)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.