Canon 5DM3 refurbished

Currently own a 5DM3 and a 7D2 which I bought new couple years ago ...

Juts bought a 5DM3 refurbished as a back up ... we're heading out on an extended photo shoot and don't want to take a chance on a camera failing on the road.

When I opened refurbished camera - it's looks brand new, not a scratch on it, and shutter count at "0" ... but the date set = 01-01-12 ...

212020001414 #5DM3 bought new (Bought from B&H)
102024000976 #5DM3 refurbished (Bought from Canon Refurb)

Might indicate the refurbished camera is much older - if the numbers go in sequence ? But, still looks brand new and "0" shutter count ... could have been a display, altho display for all those years seem impractical ...

Anyone know how to determine age of body thru serial number? I'm sure it was completely refurbished and more than likely a new shutter -- so, the "0" count probably true.

Shot a series of test shots, RAW and jpegs, and find no issues ... I'm more curious about the age than 'worried' mainly because of the 01-01-2012 date when I first opened it. Just seemed odd ...

Any thoughts?? Thx M44

Mar 25, 2011
Refurbs can be new cameras that were found sitting in a warehouse or display models. Canon states this on their refurb info page. Just because they call it refurb does not mean that its new and unused. Canon does not reset the camera exposures to zero unless the main board was replaced with one that was set to zero when refurbished.

Upvote 0
Yes, I know it's not new always - sometimes, it's a warranty return, or a display, or whatever ... I've bought refurbished stuff from Canon before - usually for backup - and always have good luck. Everything has always "looked new" even if it wasn't necessarily a new item - not easy to tell just looking at it ...

I was just wondering if the serial number tells us when it was manufactured. Am curious, because it had the date set a 01-01-2012, and stated London time zone as well. But it shipped out of Virginia ...

I've test-shot some today, just in the office - but it appears excellent so far. Will give it some field tests outside tomorrow. Also ordered the 24-70 f4 IS (new - B&H, not refurb) - but it's not here yet ... will be a nice field test this week for both ... :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
When a motherboard is replaced or totally reset, the camera reverts to the original date of the camera hardware, no matter when it was manufactured or what the firmware version is. This can also happen if the date battery is removed for a few minutes. I think you will find that all 5D MK III's revert to that date. New cameras show that date when first powered up as well. As for country, that's another thing you have to set when its first powered up. It may have been initially set to 00 GMT(London), its been too long for me to remember what mine was set to.

As for serial numbers, my First 5D MK III which was a preorder and delivered in the very first shipment,I see my first test photos were dated March 27, 2012 with s/n 0220210041XX. My second one bought in September 2012 was 062024005XX.

So, either you got a new main board, or a new camera that was found in the warehouse and never sold. Either way, its a deal!

So, based on the serial number, the camera could have been made in 2013 or even 2014, since production slows down considerably after the first year.

Upvote 0
Thanks - nice to know that stuff - even if it has no effect on the equipment.

Looks brand new tho, not even a teeeeeeeny scratch anywhere on it - typical for Refurbs - I never hesitate to go the Canon for back ups .. good bargains for good equipment.

BTW: Are you from Washington?? - beautiful state, lots of great photo areas. Have been there many times on our cross country travels ... Hoh forest is incredible... Thanks for info B

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
monkey44 said:

Looks brand new tho, not even a teeeeeeeny scratch anywhere on it - typical for Refurbs - I never hesitate to go the Canon for back ups .. good bargains for good equipment.

BTW: Are you from Washington?? - beautiful state, lots of great photo areas. Have been there many times on our cross country travels ... Hoh forest is incredible... Thanks for info B

Yes, I am retired since 1998, and currently live on the flanks of Mount Spokane which is the reason for my user ID. My parents moved from LA in 1946 with me in tow, so I grew up in the Grays Harbor area, and am very familiar with the Olympic Peninsula, I even worked on a farm in Humptulips while attending community college, as well as lumber mills and pulp mills before working in the Seattle area for 30 years. I even spent 2.5 years in Toronto.

As part of my job, I traveled the US and the world, and liked the people everywhere I went.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
monkey44 said:

Yes, I am retired since 1998, and currently live on the flanks of Mount Spokane which is the reason for my user ID. My parents moved from LA in 1946 with me in tow, so I grew up in the Grays Harbor area, and am very familiar with the Olympic Peninsula, I even worked on a farm in Humptulips while attending community college, as well as lumber mills and pulp mills before working in the Seattle area for 30 years. I even spent 2.5 years in Toronto.

As part of my job, I traveled the US and the world, and liked the people everywhere I went.

We lived in LA also, San Fernando Valley, and SF, and Calaveras County -- have family in Oregon, then moved to Cape Cod, and now live in Florida. We travel in our RV extensively, and make at least two trips to the west per year. We love the North West states, but can't get my wife to give up Florida because our adult kids live here, and our grand kids. Can't win a move west vs living near kids -- I tell her, we'll probably see them more and longer if we move away - but she ain't buying it ... :) We don't always make it to Washington, but that is a great state - we're heading to North Dakota this time, up thru the mid-west and Colorado, then head north.

Upvote 0
docsmith said:
Did you run the shuttercount through something like www.eoscount.com? Or is the # count you mention just the picture number.

The refurbs I have bought have all started at 0000, but when running them through some sort of software, you see that they have had actuations.

When I first turned on the camera, it stated "O" shutter actuation on the screen. In the past, when I've bought refurbished cameras, when turned on they had XX number shutter actuation - so it seems to me, when it comes from Canon, it shows the number of times the shutter has been triggered. It's the only time that particular screen come up - once it's shut off, then it never comes up again. And, I don't think there is a place on a camera that documents it ... it takes a program to count it after that first time. I'm not very tech-trained, so this kind if info often eludes me ...

I'm not sure the "picture count" would matter, because when you change cards, the count changes as well, at least it appears that way -- and when it DPP, for the initial download, it sorts into "which camera" shot it too in the folders ...

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
monkey44 said:
docsmith said:
Did you run the shuttercount through something like www.eoscount.com? Or is the # count you mention just the picture number.

The refurbs I have bought have all started at 0000, but when running them through some sort of software, you see that they have had actuations.

When I first turned on the camera, it stated "O" shutter actuation on the screen. In the past, when I've bought refurbished cameras, when turned on they had XX number shutter actuation - so it seems to me, when it comes from Canon, it shows the number of times the shutter has been triggered. It's the only time that particular screen come up - once it's shut off, then it never comes up again. And, I don't think there is a place on a camera that documents it ... it takes a program to count it after that first time. I'm not very tech-trained, so this kind if info often eludes me ...

I'm not sure the "picture count" would matter, because when you change cards, the count changes as well, at least it appears that way -- and when it DPP, for the initial download, it sorts into "which camera" shot it too in the folders ...

I have never seen the camera, new or refurbished, display the shuttercount initially upon turning it on. But, I bought my 5DIII new, so maybe it is something specific to it.

I am a big fan of refurbished products from Canon and they make up a good portion of my kit. But, if you really want to confirm how many accuations have been made on your camera, I would pay ~$3 and have eoscount analyze a picture. Do not be surprised if the number is greater than you think. Or, you may have received a new camera and they are clearing out inventory.

Either way, I am sure you have a great camera.

Upvote 0
docsmith said:
monkey44 said:
docsmith said:

I have never seen the camera, new or refurbished, display the shuttercount initially upon turning it on. But, I bought my 5DIII new, so maybe it is something specific to it.

I am a big fan of refurbished products from Canon and they make up a good portion of my kit. But, if you really want to confirm how many accuations have been made on your camera, I would pay ~$3 and have eoscount analyze a picture. Do not be surprised if the number is greater than you think. Or, you may have received a new camera and they are clearing out inventory.

Either way, I am sure you have a great camera.

It feels and acts like a new camera, if that makes sense ... and a few test shots look great. I'm running it thru some field test today and tomorrow. I've bought refurbished in the past, as well as new, and can't tell the difference just looking at it. I agree, Canon refurbished is excellent program.

MOF- I bought a 5DM3 new, and don't recall that window popping open, but bought a 7D and a 60D refurbished and it did give that count first time I turned it on ... 7D had eleven, and 60D had four ... as I recall it.

I tried to buy the 24-70 f4 IS refurbished at the same time, but Canon screwed up the order - twice ... then, when I saw the price after tax and shipping, and with NO case or hood, I went to B&H and for about $90 more, got a brand new one in two days. Happy camper here !! :)

Upvote 0