Hi all and happy new year !

Recently bought myself a 70-200 F4 IS as i love the weight and ability of the 70-200 f4L i used to have and missed it , now i have owned lots of IS lenses but never one of these and am finding that the IS is quite noisy and very obvious compared to my other lenses 16-35 , 24-105 , 35 etc , is this normal for this lens has anyone else noticed - the lens itself is immaculate and looks hardly used so cannot imagine its wear and tear. Was bought second hand from well known used dealer. The photos from the lens are fabulous and no issues with that.

thank you Andrew

Wedding Photographer North East & Yorkshire Northumberland & Wedding Photographer Cumbria

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Recently bought myself a 70-200 F4 IS as i love the weight and ability of the 70-200 f4L i used to have and missed it , now i have owned lots of IS lenses but never one of these and am finding that the IS is quite noisy and very obvious compared to my other lenses 16-35 , 24-105 , 35 etc , is this normal for this lens has anyone else noticed - the lens itself is immaculate and looks hardly used so cannot imagine its wear and tear. Was bought second hand from well known used dealer. The photos from the lens are fabulous and no issues with that.

thank you Andrew

Wedding Photographer North East & Yorkshire Northumberland & Wedding Photographer Cumbria
Mine isn't more "noisy" than the 16-35 or 24-105.
I'd contact the dealer for a refund, if the IS is really loud !

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

thank you Andrew

I have none of the zooms / EF 35 lenses you mentioned but the 70-200 f/4 IS mark one and mine is noisy but gives excellent results in terms of IQ. I think it is not very loud but the noise has some annoying components - so it appears loud. My only other stabilized lens I own is - since a few days - the RF 35 which has a close to noiseless IS system.
I think it depends on the mass of the IS element: More mass -> more torque needed -> stronger motors -> louder noise and tele lenses tend to have larger lens elements plus shake is more "visible" so you have to do more/larger corrections than with wide angles.
Maybe the mark two version is quieter but I bought my lens too 2nd hand @50% of the street price in mint condition with 30 month warranty from a 2nd hand dealer and it was only 1.5 years old when I purchased it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks for all the replies and mainly confirms what i thought - that it is a part of what this lens is - it is noisier but i can put up with it for its great performance and as long as i know its noisy I can be wary of when to use it - i generally use an 85 prime during wedding ceremonies so will stick with that as this one could be a little annoying when silence is needed. The images are excellent which is the important thing and its not faulty just the way it is ...

Cheers and HNY !

Upvote 0