Canon 70D vs. 6D - Which is the better "Do-It-All" camera?

May 4, 2011
I can only speak from experience...but despite the 7D's advanced focusing system, I find it to be the least accurate/most inconsistent of all the bodies I've used, and this even includes the tiny SL1.

The variability of AF in a single framing can be dramatic from shot to shot. If I take 5 shots in a row, 1 of them will be OOF (sometimes 2, other times none). I've never experienced such variability with any of my other cameras.

However...in terms of speed and responsiveness, there's nothing like it when it comes to shooting action. Even the 5D3 means I have to sacrifice reach...the speed and buffer capacity of the 7D is unmatched in the "crop" department. AF inconsistency and poor high ISO performance are the trade offs.

________

As for 70D vs. 6D...best to try each of them if you can and put them through their paces.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Marsu42 said:
traingineer said:
And where does it say the 7D is commonly known for an imprecise AF system? ???

See Lensrentals, other than "all over the net" this is one source I trust... scroll down to the 50d vs 7d vs 60d graph. Subjectively, this squares with my experience that the 60d af works just fine (it just has too few points and zero af tracking fw configuration) while I now and again read about 7d users struggling with their 7d.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras

In their test the newest t4i is the most precise, that's why I assumed this trend to continue with the 70d - but as I wrote above, I didn't research this and Canon might have also just put the very same 7d af module into the newer camera.

The difference between the T3i and T4i might approach significance, but there's really no significant difference between the 50D, 7D, 60D, and T3i, and 5DII. About all you can conclude from those graphs is that the 1D X and 5DIII are significantly better.

Also, bear in mind that Roger states, "We then tested it in our Imatest lab using one copy of each Canon camera we carry." I didn't notice that the first time I read the article. One copy? Knowing what Roger knows about variability, I'm surprised he tested only one copy of each camera.

One other point worth mentioning – the difference in standard deviation between the most precise and least precise bodies that Roger tested is 24 lp/mm. That represents a variation of less than a 4% difference in resolution. I'd think carefully about that before citing Roger's post as evidence that the 7D has an imprecise AF system.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Neuro
I think there is a fallacy in Roger's statistics, but I can't really tell because he doesn't provide enough details. First look at the spread.

1. 31.7% of measurements should fall beyond the standard deviation for a normal distribution. Look at the chart for the 5DII (= similar to 7D) vs 5DIII in the lensrental link. The spread on the y-axis for the 5DII is 650-750, that on the 5DIII is 720-770. That really is enough to notice if you are heavy cropping.

2. The fallacy appears to be this. He is calculating the standard deviation from the mean of the group, and the mean is not the best estimate of the best focussing spot. The best focus is at the very top of the chart! So, he just measuring a standard deviation from a value which is approximately a standard deviation from the mean.

Look at http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/07/autofocus-reality-part-3a-canon-lenses where there is an incredible difference for the series II lenses between the 5DII and 5DIII. Roger thinks they changed the feedback system between series II lenses and the rest, and the 5DIII but not the 5DII can handle it.

Upvote 0
I don't have a 7D, or 70D.

But I do have a 6D. I've been using the "Focal" automated lens focus microadjustment tool to come up with adjustment values for all of my lenses. You line up your camera with the target, attach the camera to your computer via USB, and Focal then does all the focusing and adjusting by itself.

Some really interesting results from my lens collection came out of this. Some lenses focus much more consistently than others, and even some of the consistent lenses really do benefit from the microadjustment.

My 24-105L was incredibly consistent, and needed no corrections. The 40mm STM was also extremely consistent, but needed a little focus tweak. Focal says it's among the sharpest lenses I own at f/8, and that backs up my subjective impression. My old 50 1.4 just had the focus motor replaced, and that one is pretty sharp. The sharpness/aperture curve rises pretty steeply from wide open up to f/4 or so, exactly what you'd expect. But it's not among the most consistent focusers.

Anyway, my point is that at least with static subjects in moderate light, the autofocus on the 6D is plenty reliable. I'm not saying there aren't better systems out there, but I don't believe I'll ever need to worry about losing shots due to AF problems in the 6D.

If any of the rest of you have a couple of different bodies that handle microadjustment, it might be interesting to use Focal to test them all with one solid, consistent lens, and see if they behave differently with it. The Focal guys track all the results that users are willing to submit, and they are seeing patterns with certain bodies and lenses...

Link to Focal's test results: http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/online-tools/lenscamera-information/lenscamera-tool-help/

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
traingineer said:
MichaelHodges said:
The 7d is notorious for the imprecise af system
And where does it say the 7D is commonly known for an imprecise AF system? ???

All over the Internet, obviously. ;) The 40D was a better camera anyway, everyone on the Internet said so when the 7D came out. Now...my 7D, which I used for years to shoot birds, wildlife, and other subjects with which my 5DII's AF (which performs much like the 6D's AF) couldn't keep up, that camera didn't have a notoriously imprecise AF. My Subaru's engine is just fine, too. Could something 'all over the Internet' possibly be wrong?

Obviously, any manufacturing/QC process lets a few defective units out – the cost of manufacturing perfection is unsupportable. But the vast majority of people who get a properly functioning product don't inundate multiple forums with posts about how perfect their cameras are. Advising against purchasing a product because of a few (relative to units sold) complaints on the Internet is foolish.

Ah ok, because I never saw any large complaint about the 7D's focusing system to be bad, and also, what Subaru do you own?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Act444 said:
I can only speak from experience...but despite the 7D's advanced focusing system, I find it to be the least accurate/most inconsistent of all the bodies I've used, and this even includes the tiny SL1.

The variability of AF in a single framing can be dramatic from shot to shot. If I take 5 shots in a row, 1 of them will be OOF (sometimes 2, other times none). I've never experienced such variability with any of my other cameras.

However...in terms of speed and responsiveness, there's nothing like it when it comes to shooting action. Even the 5D3 means I have to sacrifice reach...the speed and buffer capacity of the 7D is unmatched in the "crop" department. AF inconsistency and poor high ISO performance are the trade offs.

It also has to be said that the 7D is 5 years old. It is almost inconceivable that the newer bodies would not have more consistent focusing.... It's not that the 7D is bad.... when it came out it was great, but as time marches on, even the cheapest new bodies will be more consistent.

You can not judge what was released 5 years ago by what is realeased today.

Upvote 0
I have them both and I think they are both great but the 70d is a better all around camera: dpaf, touch/swivel screen, pop up flash. I use the 6d for low light, wider and shallower depth of field when I want it. Get them both if you can otherwise go for the 70d.

My .02

p.s. I don't shoot video much but the 70d is good for it

Upvote 0
bholliman said:
Marsu42 said:
David_in_Seattle said:
If your wife is getting more serious about wedding and portraiture photography then the 6D is the better choice.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but serious wedding and 6d/5d2 af system doesn't square. You can use it as a 2nd or backup body, but for anything mission-critical that moves this is not the camera you can rely upon. Think of the couple walking down the church alley, your af tracking fails and you have to say "Well, you know, I saved $1000, could you please repeat it?".

There are plenty of excellent wedding photographers using the 6D as their primary camera. Dustin Abbott, who often posts here is one. A local photographer, well regarded as the best in the town I live, uses a 6D as primary and 5D2 for his second shooter and doesn't have any AF issues with these bodies.

I'll be the first to admit the 6D's AF is not nearly as good as the 5D3 or 1Dx, but it's not bad either. Unless you are shooting lots of sports or fast paced wildlife (BIF), the 6D's AF is probably good enough for most uses including weddings.

No offense but I own the 6D, 5D3 and 60D (not to mention many other Canon bodies) and I am fully confident in the 6D autofocus. In fact, until a firmware update fixed the 5D3 low light AF issues, the 6D stomped it with low light AF. Don't run away from the 6D because some folks think it has flaws compared to the 5D3.

As for the OP question about 'best all-around body', I also would tend to agree with candc, the 70D is likely the best all around for your needs. Better video, speed for sports, etc. A FF sensor (6D) will open up a whole world of creativity but you can still create great images with an APS-C camera and that's the format you are already accustomed to anyway. Get a 6D ASAP later but get the 70D first and get busy making money to pay for other things. Buy most of your lenses in EF type so you can use them on the FF camera in the future.

Upvote 0
AE1Pguy said:
Anyway, my point is that at least with static subjects in moderate light, the autofocus on the 6D is plenty reliable.

Agreed (though the non-cross center sensor @f2.8 sometimes shows) - but what you just described only covers a fraction of the (1-post :)) op's requirements, that's why I advised to have a closer look at the 70d. Or for non-Canon lens owners: buy a Nikon d610 which is budget priced, has a ff sensor *and* a recent af system :-\

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Marsu42 said:
AE1Pguy said:
Anyway, my point is that at least with static subjects in moderate light, the autofocus on the 6D is plenty reliable.

Agreed (though the non-cross center sensor @f2.8 sometimes shows) - but what you just described only covers a fraction of the (1-post :)) op's requirements, that's why I advised to have a closer look at the 70d. Or for non-Canon lens owners: buy a Nikon d610 which is budget priced, has a ff sensor *and* a recent af system :-\

That may not be entirely correct. N600 and N610 uses 39 AF points array, that's true, but its coverage is actually very similar to the 6D, they are all crammed in the middle of the VF just like 6D. Moreso, only center 9 points are cross-type. So in the end you have DENSER array, but that's that I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
First, to answer your question:
70D. It has autofocus during video and a swivel screen. Being crop sensor, you get better zoom.

I went through the same decisioning myself, here's my thought process:
The 5Dm3 is getting cheap enough (at times under $2600 on ebay) that I don't see any reason to even consider a 6D - you'll never get the money back on resale that you would from a 5Dm3. I'd guess that you'd even get more back out of the 70D in 2-3 years than you will out of the 6D as the 6D will be a very old camera by then, but the 70D will likely be an older current model.

Because my focus (no pun intended) is primarily still images, I saved my pennies to get a 5Dm3. I still plan on adding a 70D for the features noted in the first paragraph... video functionality (continuous AF, swivel screen - not only video, but where I would mostly use it), the crop sensor extending zoom + lighter weight makes it a much better vacation camera as well, and something I wouldn't be nearly as worried about (theft, bumps) as the 5Dm3.

If you go this route, planning to eventually get both, be careful with lens selection (EF vs EF-S).

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
My experience is 1 7D and 1 70D. My 7D had the same variability in AF as reported by lensrentals, and the AF with the 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTCIII could be very, very slow, which is why I sold it. My 70D is as consistent as my 5DIII, which is superb, and focusses fast with the 300mm f/2.8 at 600mm.

Nice to hear concerning the 70D, but not surprised at all with the 7D.

Upvote 0
Cory said:
If they would only make a 70D without that wretched articulating screen?

Probably we could exchange our screens, the missing screen is one of the things I don't like about my 6d - a fixed screen is horrible for tripod shots or shots when the camera is on/near the ground esp. when facing up.

Upvote 0
I went back and forth on this decision and went with the 6D. I've owned various cameras over the years, Nikon, canon, Fujifilm, medium format (RZ67)...

I'm relatively new to this forum and it's funny to see such extreme opinions, many I'm guessing just regurgitated from other internet posts. I'm not a pro, but I do take a lot of pics under a wide variety of conditions...landscapes, people/portraits, indoor school plays and swim meets (sports). I shoot almost no video...though do use magic lantern on my 6D for some of the still shooting additions/options...so I can't comment on video.

I've been very happy with it - I keep reading about how its not great for sports...but I'd say my swim meet shots are almost all keepers...and some are 70 meters away + zooming in on a head coming out of the water for a fraction of a second...and they are always tack sharp...the tracking has been fine...I do usually use the center focus, AI servo. I've taken thousands of pics and have never seen one and thought the camera's focus system messed up...and I'm usually shooting close to wide open to get a shallow DOF.

The low light performance is nothing short of amazing....I was showing someone the other day...in a large living room, with one small lamp on in the far corner, 40 watt bulb....and I shot a pic of a ceiling fan on high speed, using a 12,800 iso setting and you'd think it was daylight just with a jpeg - the fans were frozen, no blur and crisp...shot in raw, and processed thru dxo or something similar and there is almost no noise. Same thing at kids play - dark room, crank up ISO, shot raw and perfect shots, almost no noise at all with no processing for noise.

I'm really not sure how much more I could expect from a camera...every mistake I've ever seen in a shot is mine, not the cameras...I would never give up the low light capabilities or full frame and I'm not sure how my swim pics could be any better (and I'm only using a 70-300, not L glass).

One of our favorite landscape shots hanging in our house my daughter took many years ago, with a 4MP canon powershot from a car going 40 miles per hour...it's a 30x20 print looking over haybales and the st. laur. river...it won 1st prize in the annual Rand McNally contest...I got rid of my RZ67 years ago when I did a test and compared a 30x20 print I paid $150 for scanning/printing from a well respected photo lab and could not tell the difference with a loop or the naked eye from the exact same shot made with a nikon d70 printed at my local Costco (and I do use their ICC profile) for $9.00 (I'm in the printing business so I understand quality & colors).

My guess is you'd be fine with either....todays cameras are amazing...I think the improved AF and ISO performance stands out....but with a 1950's 35mm film camera most can take great shots with good light and relatively still subjects...

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
So in the end you have DENSER array, but that's that I'm afraid.

The ff af arrays even of the 5d3 are rather crammed to the middle, if you want wider coverage you have to get a crop camera or use live view (esp. with 70d). I don't want to start a Nikon off-topic discussion, but the main problem with 60d and 6d is that the af points are not dense enough so you mostly end up with single-point shooting - af expansion around a single point is exactly what I'd often like to use :-\

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Marsu42 said:
Khalai said:
So in the end you have DENSER array, but that's that I'm afraid.

The ff af arrays even of the 5d3 are rather crammed to the middle, if you want wider coverage you have to get a crop camera or use live view (esp. with 70d). I don't want to start a Nikon off-topic discussion, but the main problem with 60d and 6d is that the af points are not dense enough so you mostly end up with single-point shooting - af expansion around a single point is exactly what I'd often like to use :-\

Understood. I like AF expansion on my 7D as well. I use either this or zone AF for tracking fast subjects. My original point was, that N600 and N610 are better on paper, but for real time usage (apart from AI Servo tracking), they are actually as basic as 60D or 6D arrays (coverage of the array and spread of the crosstype are basicly the same).

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Marsu42 said:
David_in_Seattle said:
If your wife is getting more serious about wedding and portraiture photography then the 6D is the better choice.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but serious wedding and 6d/5d2 af system doesn't square. You can use it as a 2nd or backup body, but for anything mission-critical that moves this is not the camera you can rely upon. Think of the couple walking down the church alley, your af tracking fails and you have to say "Well, you know, I saved $1000, could you please repeat it?".

I would argue that if you can't take a beautiful, professional quality wedding with a 6D or 5D2 you are likely an amateur. A pro can easily take a wedding with a 5D2, 5D3, 6D, etc - because they know the camera and how to play to its strengths. If you use technology as a crutch and need the latest and greatest to keep up, I don't see how that makes one a 'professional.' Yes, it may be a little easier with a 5D3, but any of the three will suffice.

In the end they are all tools, and photographers have been shooting fantastic weddings for ages without the 5D3... Which by the way is also crippled due to its non-removable focus screen (poor for MFing fast lenses which many pros like to do at times); I have seen some pointing to videos that require taking the camera apart, but even if you did so the 5D3 lacks the firmware settings for the high precision matte screen.

Upvote 0