Canon 77D is not selling well?

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
That is a good price. I'm glad I bought mine about a year ago. The top LCD panel is much appreciated, since I am used to 5D series cameras. The 24 MP sensor is a big step up from the old 18 MP APS-C sensors.

I use the 77D as my travel camera and as emergency backup for the full frame bodies.

The only thing that has been frustrating is finding a zoom lens that is small enough for travel, but sharp enough to look good with the hi-res sensor. Images taken with the 18-55 kit lenses look horrible when enlarged. My best results have been with prime lenses, most notably the 24mm pancake. This is still a work in progress.

Upvote 0
drmikeinpdx said:
...The only thing that has been frustrating is finding a zoom lens that is small enough for travel, but sharp enough to look good with the hi-res sensor. Images taken with the 18-55 kit lenses look horrible when enlarged. My best results have been with prime lenses, most notably the 24mm pancake. This is still a work in progress.
I also miss a zoom lens that is small and light but with high picture quality, to make a perfect pair with Rebel 24 megapixel cameras. Something like 18-50mm F2.8 weighing about 400 grams .

Upvote 0
drmikeinpdx said:
The only thing that has been frustrating is finding a zoom lens that is small enough for travel, but sharp enough to look good with the hi-res sensor. Images taken with the 18-55 kit lenses look horrible when enlarged. My best results have been with prime lenses, most notably the 24mm pancake. This is still a work in progress.

Hi drmikeinpdx,

I see you have the EF-S 15-85. Could you please share your opinion on how it deals with the 24 MP sensor?

Thanks!!

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
rubensu03 said:
drmikeinpdx said:

Hi drmikeinpdx,

I see you have the EF-S 15-85. Could you please share your opinion on how it deals with the 24 MP sensor?

Thanks!!

Though I'm not drmikeinpdx, I do have the Canon 80D (same sensor as the 77D) and the Canon 15-85mm lens. The 15-85mm is a great lens, very good image quality, fantastic range (gives noticeable wider and tele options than the 18-55mm). The newer 18-55mm kit lenses are actually pretty sharp stopped down 1 stop (unless you get a bad copy of the lens), but the 15-85mm is a bit sharper wide open, and also has better handling, and superior AF. I obtain great results on my 15-85mm with the 80D's 24MP sensor.

Having said that, for ultimate image quality, only a few zooms get close to the levels of good (or the best) primes. The Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 pancake is very sharp from f/2.8 already, and bitingly so from f/4 - f/8 on a 24MP APS-C sensor. I have created a lot of stitched images (e.g. panoramas) with the 24mm f/2.8 pancake, and it really does great - with minimal distortion and great across the frame sharpness.

I trust this helps

PJ 8)

Upvote 0
drmikeinpdx said:
That is a good price. I'm glad I bought mine about a year ago. The top LCD panel is much appreciated, since I am used to 5D series cameras. The 24 MP sensor is a big step up from the old 18 MP APS-C sensors.

I use the 77D as my travel camera and as emergency backup for the full frame bodies.

I used the Sigma 18-250mm on my 80D for a while, its an excellent travel lens and you can pick them up at a decent price. Great contrast and color, but not pin sharp like the L lenses of course. The IQ is great though and i've got many pretty keepers with it. It's also an excellent macro like lens at 250mm.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That is a good price. But I don't know that it means it is not selling well. I think Canon sometimes introduces certain models with enough of a margin to allow a price reduction once the initial demand passes.

Best example of that is the 6D series. Both the original and the 6DII were deeply discounted after they'd been on the market for awhile, yet the original 6D was one of Canon's best sellers ever. BTW, the 6DII is now selling for $400 under its introduction price and that includes a free $200 grip.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
unfocused said:
That is a good price. But I don't know that it means it is not selling well. I think Canon sometimes introduces certain models with enough of a margin to allow a price reduction once the initial demand passes.

Best example of that is the 6D series. Both the original and the 6DII were deeply discounted after they'd been on the market for awhile, yet the original 6D was one of Canon's best sellers ever. BTW, the 6DII is now selling for $400 under its introduction price and that includes a free $200 grip.
The price of virtually all products has a life cycle and prices drop as things like development costs are paid for, and the technology starts to age. I bought a SL2 instead for considerably less, since I just wanted a emergency backup. I liked it so much that it gets used a lot more than I ever expected.

Upvote 0
pj1974 said:
rubensu03 said:
drmikeinpdx said:

Hi drmikeinpdx,

Thanks!!

Though I'm not drmikeinpdx, I do have the Canon 80D (same sensor as the 77D) and the Canon 15-85mm lens. The 15-85mm is a great lens, very good image quality, fantastic range (gives noticeable wider and tele options than the 18-55mm). The newer 18-55mm kit lenses are actually pretty sharp stopped down 1 stop (unless you get a bad copy of the lens), but the 15-85mm is a bit sharper wide open, and also has better handling, and superior AF. I obtain great results on my 15-85mm with the 80D's 24MP sensor.

Having said that, for ultimate image quality, only a few zooms get close to the levels of good (or the best) primes. The Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 pancake is very sharp from f/2.8 already, and bitingly so from f/4 - f/8 on a 24MP APS-C sensor. I have created a lot of stitched images (e.g. panoramas) with the 24mm f/2.8 pancake, and it really does great - with minimal distortion and great across the frame sharpness.

I trust this helps

PJ 8)

Hi PJ,

thank you very much for your answer!!

Upvote 0