Canon 7D for studio work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2012
Hi,

I want to upgrade my almost 4 years old Canon 40D; my choice is the 7D; i mention that i will use it only with high quality L lenses, 40% for people studio work (portraits postures, isolated on white) 30% for objects, food, desserts (in studio, over various backgrounds) and 30% for cases where the 1.6 crop factor and 8 frames/sec is a huge advantage. I am not interested in high ISO capability of the camera above ISO 400.

My questions are:

- how is performing the 7D sensor in studio shooting people over white background?Huh ( i am interesting mostly in image noise levels at iso 100-200 , the ability to produce sharp images and the ''problems'' with the hair over white background)

- the lvl of details and overall IQ produced by 7D in studio is above average considering today stock standards ( SS standards in special)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,

Nick.

I currently have the 7D, I'm going to be giving it up for the 1D X or the 5DIII. Image quality really isn't as good as I had hoped, and the 1.6x magnification makes it harder to work in smaller studio spaces. My advice would be to buy a second hand 5DII instead of a new 7D. But if you think the 1.6x is a must have, or you're going to be shooting sports where you need better autofocus than the 5DII can deliver... by all means get the 7D.

I bought the 7D off my brother for a grand because he needed the money, otherwise I would have sprung for the 5DII. Helping family was more important than getting the camera I wanted.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2012
I am not interested in a comparison between 7D and 5D IQ. I know that 5D is much better in noise lvl and image quality. I am interested if the 7D is up to the task (70% studio work at above average IQ according to today Studio photography standards.). I have friends with 5Dmk2, 40D various Nikon models but not one with 7D ( to do a compare with my 40D).

Upvote 0

vbi

Jan 30, 2012
While the 7D is a significant upgrade from the 40D in terms of resolution (sheer number of pixels) I have found it to fall a long way short of the IQ of the 5D Mk2 in a studio environment. However, I question if it is a significant upgrade over the 40D unless you want very large prints.

The extra reach, the superior AF system, and the speed of the 7D is suited to outdoor applications...sport, birding, wildlife. The IQ, even at 100 ISO, simply isn't as good as the 5D.

In the studio the 5D is king. The IQ is astounding, the 9 focus points not a problem (although I personally only trust the centre point so I focus and re-compose which gives me a 98% in focus rate), and the superb low light ability allows you to do a lot more natural light work.

Lastly, I have both, as well as a 40D which I still use regularly. It's a case of using the right tool for the job.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I used my 40D/17-55mm EF-s for product photography, since much of mine ends up on the web, it was more than adequate. Now, I use my 7D for the same thing, its even more of a overkill. I've used my 5D MK II, but I do not have a lens with the right focal range for the closeup images, and my 15-85mm zoom has just the right focal range for the 7D. I can get close and show small details or zoom out for a fairly large object all without moving or resetting up the camera. I have a fixed mount bolted to my light table, so moving the camera is a chore.

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
I don't think they ever intended to sell the 7D as a pro cam... and it isn't a pro cam. Yes, it's used by some pros due to it's abilities for some things like 50fps and number of consecutive frames pr. sec.
I would stay clear of it... especially now when the mk III is about to hit the market.

The mk II is an awesome camera (still not pro but...) and it performs excellently with L glass in front. I will probably drop in price rapidly by now, so I would go that route instead.

I have added a photo I did for a local warehouse. Shot with the mk II and the 70-200 2.8L II IS USM. 2400w Broncolor generators and a 4 x 3 meter white paper background.
I had to scale it down to fit the size limit, but you can get the feeling of sharpness of rendition. It's lovely!

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,910
Upvote 0
D

darkmatter2k12

I use 7d for most of my work including studio. It is excellent camera when pared with excellent glass. And well suitable for portraits, fashion, etc. I did not bought 5d mark 2 because of poor auto focus. Even in studio it matter how good is your focus. Especially if you prefer framing at borders of frame (i mean out of center), where 5d mark 2 has most unreliable focus points. To be honest 5d mark 2 files have more quality than 7d mark 2. Mostly in terms of color accuracy. So you decide. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2011
Honestly, I think the 7D would do just fine for studio work. I'm not sure how much you process your images but the 7D doesn't produce the cleanest images at ISO 100-400. This is something I've noticed in my own work. High ISO stuff is ok but it's really the low ISO images that can be annoying. Something to be aware of, but that being said I still think the 7D would work fine.

Upvote 0
nicku said:
I am aware that the 5Dmk2 IQ is better than 7D, i am only interested if the 7D is up to the job. I mean above average IQ , sharpness and base ISO noise levels, considering today studio quality demands; or the end result is less than acceptable.

regarding of lenses i use 17-40 f/4 L ; 50mm f/1.4 ; 100mm f/2.8 IS L .
well, i think your question is answered then: yes it is able to do the job

Upvote 0
A

adamkozlowski

I would never buy or recommend the 7D to anyone, because i think that 18MP on a crop sensor is a joke - it requires very good lenses and only shooting at sweet spot to actually have sharp photos. But that's depending on your expectations of course. I actually bought a 7D alongside a 5D2 and 1Ds2 and it was just unbelievably bad for the kind of work i do (available light photojournalism mostly).

But for studio work you close down good lenses anyway, but still, i wouldn't recommend it ever since Canon released the 60D. You'd be hard pressed to find any difference in sensor output, but the twist/swivel screen is absolutely perfect for studio work. Why overpay?

Plus my 7D had awful AF problems with all lenses brighter than 2.8 - totally erratic, unable to fix with AF microadjustment. The ironic thing is that the ONLY lens that worked perfectly with my 7D was a Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC. Also a borrowed 70-200/2.8L IS was OK. However the 50/1.2, 50/1.4, 24/1.4, 85/1.8 and 135/2 were just all over the place. But i'm shooting wide open all the time - it's just the work i do.

The only good thing about the 7D compared to 5D2 for studio work is the lack of shadow banding in low-iso high-dynamic-range shots. 5D2 is awful when it comes to shooting very contrasty scenes like sunsets with trees or highly reflective objects in studio with strobes. Then if you get the RAW into LR or PS and try to bump the shadows a little you get awful mesh-like structure/banding in the shadows. The 7D is free of that as far as i could see.

Upvote 0
Speaking from one professional to another who has used the 7d professionally in studio environments, it is very up for the job. Noise, well, eh, it's good overall, especially at low ISO... Just dont underexpose routinely and shoot to it's strength. If you're doing your work to be outputted to print, whether it be for magazines, newsprint, banners or billboard, it should be clean enough where the noise, if any, will not print or if any of it does, it will show as detail. If your outputting to web, odds are you will be downressing the files at some point and noise wont be an issue. If you plan on keeping it at 100%, display on screens and computer with no intentions of outputting the files, then you may be less than thrilled. I wont lie and say there is no noise, but when you output the files to print and or web, it really isn't a problem.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Apparently, someone forgot to tell Canon that the 7D isn't suitable for studio work.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/7d-studio-version-official/

For the work you describe and for the needs you have, the 7D is fine. If you are using a 40D and it works for you, you will only gain, not lose, with the 7D.

Upvote 0
M

Mindfields

As someone who has used a 7D in the studio often, it works great. It's sharp with all of my "L" lenses and at low iso's is perfectly acceptable, and not bad through 1600. But honestly I really only shoot at 100 iso in a studio setting. There are plenty of folks that claim to have had or heard of a " rotten" 7D. Personally I know quite a few photographers that are using them in the studio and love them. One caveat is the 1.6 crop. In a small studio with a long lens you will have some issues depending on your intended crop.

Good luck on your decision.

Upvote 0
J

jayvo86

I'm not going to tell you what to get; I'm just going to share my experiences.

I shot with a 60D for about a year. It was a nice general purpose camera that didn't excel in anyone area. (Same sensor as 7D.)

However, when I started shooting stock...it didn't cut it. Having said that, It was ok with highlights and detail...it was just the shadows can get a little bit noisy.

I opted to buy and older 5D "classic," which solved all of my noise problems.

Some of my photos have a little bit more processing that others; the noise really seemed to creep up with the 60D. However, I can work and image pretty hard before I run into problems with the 5D.

Maybe it would be wise to look at a used 1DmkIII if you need a fast action camera and look into FF for the studio.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Upvote 0
Thanks for pointing that out unfocused =) Basically everyone has different opinions and expectations. If you're shooting portraits, odds are you printing, odds are it will excell in file output. If you're shooting for clients, such as food (restaurants-website and print on menu), products (some catalog and or ecommerce web), etc.... the camera will appease 99% of your clients... Heck, most clients usually do not have a trained enough eye to look for noise let alone know what noise is. If you are unsure how this camera will meet YOUR expectations, see if you can borrow it, rent it, shoot a few frames at a camera store..... Try it out before you buy if in doubt as only you know what your line is in the sand and if this will be sufficient or not. But, as a prior person posted, if you're happy with the 40D files, the 7D will only impress you, not detract you. If you're not happy with the 40D files... look at the 5d2

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.