Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2012
In the last month or so everybody is speaking only about the 5D3/X.... there are any viable rumors about the 7D replacement? lets face it 7D is a 3 years old camera ( its time to be upgraded). From what i can see from the latest 5D photos, the camera is called 5D3 (not X) , logical that means is not a combination between 5D and 7D series.

I'm 99% sure that canon will not discontinue the 7D series build quality and features regardless that is called 7D mk2 or 70D.

Jan 30, 2012
Maui5150 said:
Yeah... It is discontinued.

Seriously... if the 5D MKIII has improved AF, weather sealing and FPS, the only difference for a 7D upgrade becomes crop sensor, and at that point... why bother.

My guess is the 70D becomes the legacy to the 7D

Exactly for that 1.6 crop sensor (extra reach) and the price . They will aim the new 7D ( or whatever will be called) to those photographers who can not afford a 1Dx.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 7D is a big seller, probably Canon's best-selling "pro" DSLR. I don't see why there wouldn't be a Mark II version.

lets face it 7D is a 3 years old camera ( its time to be upgraded).
It may be one of the oldest cameras in Canon's lineup but it's certainly not "an old camera" technically:
- It has Canon's current APS-C sensor
- It has all the checklist features of newer DSLRs (high-res screen, video mode, etc.)
- It has features most newer Canon DSLRs either don't have or just recently got (LCD viewfinder, AF modes)
- It doesn't have any big weak spot (like the 5D2's AF for example)

My guess is that Canon won't release a 7D Mark II before Nikon releases the D400. They just have no pressure to do so.

Upvote 0
foobar said:
The 7D is a big seller, probably Canon's best-selling "pro" DSLR. I don't see why there wouldn't be a Mark II version.

lets face it 7D is a 3 years old camera ( its time to be upgraded).
It may be one of the oldest cameras in Canon's lineup but it's certainly not "an old camera" technically:
- It has Canon's current APS-C sensor
- It has all the checklist features of newer DSLRs (high-res screen, video mode, etc.)
- It has features most newer Canon DSLRs either don't have or just recently got (LCD viewfinder, AF modes)
- It doesn't have any big weak spot (like the 5D2's AF for example)

My guess is that Canon won't release a 7D Mark II before Nikon releases the D400. They just have no pressure to do so.

Only pressure I can think of is that the 650D puts them between a rock and a hard place - either they gimp the 650D so it doesn't get close/surpass other model lines that are a lot older (eg sensor or DIGIC chip wise).

I don't think they'd hold back on the DIGIC 5 as it's already on announced possibly released Canon Point & Shoots.
As for the sensor - we simply don't know. We dont' know how the shake up of the 1 series line with the 1DX and the 5DIII/5DX with the 5D and possibly 7D lines will filter down.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tt said:
Only pressure I can think of is that the 650D puts them between a rock and a hard place - either they gimp the 650D so it doesn't get close/surpass other model lines that are a lot older (eg sensor or DIGIC chip wise).

I don't think they'd hold back on the DIGIC 5 as it's already on announced possibly released Canon Point & Shoots.
As for the sensor - we simply don't know. We dont' know how the shake up of the 1 series line with the 1DX and the 5DIII/5DX with the 5D and possibly 7D lines will filter down.
Canon has released new sensors and DIGIC chips in lower-end cameras before, so I don't think they have to hold back anything from the 650D. There are still enough other things to differentiate the 650D from the higher camera lines, IMHO.

Upvote 0
nicku said:
Maui5150 said:

Seriously... if the 5D MKIII has improved AF, weather sealing and FPS, the only difference for a 7D upgrade becomes crop sensor, and at that point... why bother.

My guess is the 70D becomes the legacy to the 7D

Exactly for that 1.6 crop sensor (extra reach) and the price . They will aim the new 7D ( or whatever will be called) to those photographers who can not afford a 1Dx.

And price it where?

7D vs 5D MK II had at least SOME differentiation between the bodies other than Crop vs FF.

7D had a little better sealing, faster FPS, better AF and seemed more geared towards the sports shooter
5D MK II had the FF sensor, a little better IQ, a little better ISO and handling of noise, and larger MP and seemed geared towards the portrait studio shooter.

5D MK III whether people like it or not seems to have merged the two lines, especially if the MP stays in the low 20s.

For the 5D MK II users, you get better AF, faster FPS and better sealing, and otherwise same MP, maybe a little better ISO and sealing... i.e. a 5D MK II with some of the best features from the 7D.

For the 7D shooter, you get a larger size sensor, better ISO, Better AF, Better sealing, and better IQ. Only downside is loosing some of the reach, but all and all it is the 7D with the IQ of the 5D MK II and FF and more MP.

60D and 7D started getting fairly close and I just have a hard time seeing Canon trying to continue with T4i, 70D, 7D MK II, 5DMK III and 1Dx when the t4i, 70D and 7D MK II will likely be very close features, perhaps too close to keep 3 bodies in the space

Upvote 0
C

crasher7

Some folks can't wrap their mind around an idea such as that many do not want FF. It is not always a logical upgrade path. Birders? Sports, REACH???

For many, the 7D is all they want and need. I can't see the supposed 70D having a Magnesium body. Therefore I pine for a Mk2. Weather sealing will be a make or break point for a 70D as it's one of 3 specs it needs to meet if they decide to bridge the gap from 60D to 7D. I think it's a given the card slot, AF and D-5 processor will be there. But I just can't help but think it will be plastic.

Upvote 0
N

nesarajah

ruuneos said:
Yeah.. I got 7D by myself and only thing what I could want for it are:
- Dual CF slot
- Upgrade for DIG!C 5
And of course battery grip what includes joystick.

But being honest with you, I don't really see that much to upgrade 7D YET let's wait 1-2years and let's check upgrade again.

Oh i hope next year . 2013 would be perfect.

Upvote 0
Maui5150 said:

Exactly.

Only problem is the 5DIII's crazy rumored price.
At $3500, the 5DIII can hardly be a merger of the 7D and 5D lines.

But if the 5dIII price turns out to be closer to the 5DII intro price ($2699), then it's quite certain that the 7D line will be discontinued.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
well, the 5D Mark II is still the oldest current camera, until the announcement becomes a real thing and not a rumor. if the 5D Mark III gets announced in March, it will have been 3.5 years from announcement to announcement. the 1Ds Mark III went 4.5 years before the 1D X was announced to replace it.

so I think the traditional 3-year turnover that people have come to expect has gone out the window as the overall field matures, we are seeing smaller and smaller overall changes in the DSLR arena with most improvements happening in terms of refinements instead of revolutions. there's not a whole lot to change on the 7D right now (I know two people who have each bought a 7D in the last few months and who are very pleased with them), which means there's not a lot of impetus to release a successor. I'd expect 2013 to be a good time for canon to come out with a 7D Mark II, so that it spaces out a bit from the 5D series... there is definitely still a place for an APS-C flagship, which the XXD series clearly no longer fills.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.