Canon 85mm f1.4L IS USM First Impressions and images...

Dec 13, 2010
hne said:
Viggo said:
Suspicion confirmed. The 85 IS’ lens hood is useless in the rain. I mean, they finally weather seal it and then shorten the lens hood so the front element is impossible to keep dry, *facepalm* and it was just a light drizzle with no wind and I was carrying it lens pointing down, so the rain is just from a couple of shots...

Ouch!
3D printer to the rescue?

Ha! Perhaps! I know a place where I can have things 3D printed. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
I'm thinking more and more that Canon is leveraging an internally focusing lens design to give us something no bigger than it needs to be. Less space to take up in a bag when not on the lens.

That's the norm for hood design, and I'm sure that's true in this case, as well.

Viggo said:
hne said:
3D printer to the rescue?

Ha! Perhaps! I know a place where I can have things 3D printed. :)

Would another ET-83 hood fit? The ET-83BII (for the 200/2.8L II) is deeper.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
Also, though I can't see it in the manual ???, I'm presuming you need to front filter for the weather sealing to work on this one.

Why on earth would you presume that? The lenses that require a front filter to complete the weather sealing all have in common an inner moving barrel which does not extend in front of the plane of the filter threads. That includes the front filter-compatible UWA L zooms with internal barrels that move with zooming, and the 50/1.2 with an internal barrel that moves with focusing. They also have in common a statement to that effect in the manual.

Since the 85/1.4L IS focuses internally and has no such statement in the manual, the logical presumption is that a filter is not required to complete the sealing.

Viggo said:
...except the 17-40 (which isn't sealed.)

Incidentally, the 17-40 is a weathersealed lens (although that requires a front filter as discussed above).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
Hood lengths are designed to cover potential flare based upon the elements needs am I not correct?

Yes, "based upon the elements" in this application I read as the FOV. But where the front element is physically located w.r.t to the hood matters, so in this case, internal vs. external focusing considerations matter. For instance, if the 85 f/1.2L II hood attached to that telescoping inner barrel (see pics from prior post), one would presume it wouldn't need to be so big.

That said, Canon doesn't always deliver a perfect hood from a flare perspective. Since Canon moved from the reverse zooming + gargantuan hood of the 24-70 f/2.8L I (which optimally shades at both ends of the zoom range) to the standard direction zooming + smaller hood of all the 24-something zooms we see today, we only get optimal shading at the 24mm end.

- A

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
Also, though I can't see it in the manual ???, I'm presuming you need to front filter for the weather sealing to work on this one.

Incidentally, the 17-40 is a weathersealed lens (although that requires a front filter as discussed above).

Thanks for clearing that up, it's been a long time since I had it.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Why on earth would you presume that? The lenses that require a front filter to complete the weather sealing all have in common an inner moving barrel which does not extend in front of the plane of the filter threads.

Ah, that would explain why the statement wasn't there. Thanks, Neuro.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
That said, Canon doesn't always deliver a perfect hood from a flare perspective. Since Canon moved from the reverse zooming + gargantuan hood of the 24-70 f/2.8L I (which optimally shades at both ends of the zoom range) to the standard direction zooming + smaller hood of all the 24-something zooms we see today, we only get optimal shading at the 24mm end.

That's a necessary compromise with all 'typical' zoom lenses (i.e., both internally zooming and those where the barrel extends as the focal length increases).

However, the 85/1.4 is a prime lens, so the hood design can be optimized for that focal length.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Shane1.4 said:
Only had a few free minutes to take photos today but below is a video showing some quick casual real life comparison photos with my new Canon 85 and the my Sigma 85. Hope it is helpful for anyone trying to decide!

https://youtu.be/3-6tLgTA2cQ

That was a great a great video. The rendering from both lenses are so similar it's an easy choice for me.

Canon CPS coverage, image stabilization, smaller size/weight, with first party autofocus and no need to recalibrate. All at the expense of a little additional chromatic aberration?

Yes. I loved the Sigma 85 Art, but after 3 days testing them side-by-side, I sold the Sigma last Friday. I'm in love with this lens and it complements my 135L nicely.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
LSXPhotog said:
Shane1.4 said:
Only had a few free minutes to take photos today but below is a video showing some quick casual real life comparison photos with my new Canon 85 and the my Sigma 85. Hope it is helpful for anyone trying to decide!

That was a great a great video. The rendering from both lenses are so similar it's an easy choice for me.

Canon CPS coverage, image stabilization, smaller size/weight, with first party autofocus and no need to recalibrate. All at the expense of a little additional chromatic aberration?

Yes. I loved the Sigma 85 Art, but after 3 days testing them side-by-side, I sold the Sigma last Friday. I'm in love with this lens and it complements my 135L nicely.

+1. Great video. The images from the two lenses seems to be very equal in both sharpness and bokeh. Size, weight, IS and first party AF will be the deciding factor for most of us, I think. Interesting to see the green tint produced by the Sigma lens. I preferred the Canon in that regard.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Larsskv said:
LSXPhotog said:
Shane1.4 said:

+1. Great video. The images from the two lenses seems to be very equal in both sharpness and bokeh. Size, weight, IS and first party AF will be the deciding factor for most of us, I think. Interesting to see the green tint produced by the Sigma lens. I preferred the Canon in that regard.

+1, And I still think the Sigma lenses look "sticker on background" while the Canon has more 3d pop. I looks like the Sigma has a very steep focus fall off and that might be it. But I see the same in my images from the 85, things really do pop, reminds my of the Zeiss 100 f2 classic with less bit less fringing.

If its the LoCa that makes it so smooth and makes the subject pop, then I'll take that over sharpness any day...

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Viggo said:
Larsskv said:
LSXPhotog said:
Shane1.4 said:

+1, And I still think the Sigma lenses look "sticker on background" while the Canon has more 3d pop. I looks like the Sigma has a very steep focus fall off and that might be it. But I see the same in my images from the 85, things really do pop, reminds my of the Zeiss 100 f2 classic with less bit less fringing.

If its the LoCa that makes it so smooth and makes the subject pop, then I'll take that over sharpness any day...

Interesting about your opinion on the sticker effect, that we have discussed earlier regarding the 50 ART. To my eyes, the 85 ART seems better in that regard than my impression on the 35 and 50 ART lenses. I think it is difficult to back such a claim based on the video. The pictures aren’t viewed in a large size, and I must admit that I do like the look of the pictures coming from Sigma 85 ART. That said, I also slightly prefer the look in the Canon images, and might agree that some of them have a slightly better 3D rendering. At the same time, I cannot rule out my Canon bias counting in. ???

I can feel the GAS, and might give in to it if I can get a good deal on a Black Friday offer...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Click said:
Shane1.4 said:
You guys. This lens is incredible. Today we are having an early Thanksgiving/Christmas with my family that can't get together later. The bokeh is amazing!

Beautiful pictures. :) I love the bokeh.

Nothing beats kids + xmas tree lights. Gold, nice work.

- A

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Shane1.4 said:
You guys. This lens is incredible. Today we are having an early Thanksgiving/Christmas with my family that can't get together later. The bokeh is amazing!

Thanks for sharing, nice shots. Just curious, what was the aperture setting on pic #2 (the full-body portrait)?

I like what I've seen so far, so going to pull the trigger on this one.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Act444 said:
I like what I've seen so far, so going to pull the trigger on this one.

I just ordered one. I'm leaving for Germany/Switzerland on Sunday, and my new lens will be waiting for me when I return.

Congrats! I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I’ve already used in heavy rain and snow at ridiculously low shutters, so the weather sealing and IS already have become invaluable to me.

Upvote 0