Canon 85mm f1.4L IS USM First Impressions and images...

Shane1.4 said:
You guys. This lens is incredible. Today we are having an early Thanksgiving/Christmas with my family that can't get together later. The bokeh is amazing!

Shane, you are such a lucky guy! And I am not referring to your 85 1.4 ;). You have such a beautiful family!

On the bokeh balls, I notice that there are concentric circles in some of them. Just wondering if the circles will similarly show up if the same shot was taken with the 85 1.2 at the same aperture?

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone! All the photos were taken at f1.4. I too see the same mirror box clipping like on the 85 1.2 which is a little frustrating but oh well. Here are a few more from the weekend of my brother-in-law and his wife. I know 85 is used a lot for head shots, but I actually really like it for full body photos. Such a fantastic lens.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 217
  • 17.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 171
  • 26.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 179
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Shane1.4 said:
I know 85 is used a lot for head shots, but I actually really like it for full body photos.

Yeah, I've used the 100 Macro similarly with stunning results. 100mm f/2.8 is that perfect (IMO) balance between strong subject/background separation and adequate DOF to get enough of the face/body in focus whether it's a headshot or full body shot. Think I will continue to use it...The only problem is the working distance required to get that full-body shot...pretty much need to be outdoors or in a really large room.

The 85 has its place too. The 1.4 I'm hoping will be nice in darker (read:indoor) venues along with a little less space required to work.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
So far I've only used this lens in rain and snow, lol. But it's all good since I've been waiting maaaany years for a weather sealed 85 ;D

1dx2+85 IS at f1.4, iso 200, 1/1000s

asyk2.jpg

Upvote 0
looking at these images i am very conflicted. there is a lot to like about this lens, including the price, but the bokeh clipping looks really horrendous to me. i don't mind the cat's eye bokeh balls so much, because there is actually some creative potential there, but the nervousness it creates in the background of the shots with trees i find quite distracting from the subject.

the 135/2 IS ought to be better for clipping, yes?

Upvote 0