Canon 90D Rumors - Will it be the New 4k Beast That Will Take Over ?

Do you think the 90D is going to be a DSLR OR Mirrorless Camera?

• Total voters
I'm anxiously waiting for the announcement and release of the Canon 90D or the new Canon 80D replacement. Which I know is going to be an amazing camera. We all want canon to bring 4k to the aps-c line up at this price point, though with all the new features we want. I believe it's going to be a DSLR with all the bells and whistles we want, if was a mirror less body it will probably outshine the Canon EOS R. I believe Canon is going to play it safe and make it a mirrored camera that is going to pack a huge punch at an amazing platform that it's going to rise up as the market leader and be the beast that takes over the industry. Let me know your thoughts about the new rumors around the canon 90D and the other new cameras they are coming out with. Also what do you want see in the new canon 80D replacement.

I actually would be surprised if Canon didn't kind of deliberately tone the 90D down from expectations. Given the investment they are making into the mirrorless market it makes sense for them to try to steer customers towards the products which they are seeking the largest return for their R&D investment. I am by no means saying it will be a poor camera, only that it will probably only be a fairly minor upgrade over the 80D, move to digic 7, some button shifts like a wireless button and probably a few extra bells and whistles. I would be very surprised if Canon would produce a camera which would actually potentially slow their own customers down from changing to a Canon mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I feel where your coming from , for sure I believe there going to make some button shifts and possibly move to the digic 7 , though there going to try make there EOS R there baby for a while and make sure sales stay putt and increasing in that market. Though it be interesting if they make it into a mirroless camera that shoots 1080 and they know it's a camera system used heavy for video work if there add some form of IS. I know it would be surprising if they do follow with Canon's Strategy to "future prof" them selves it be interesting to see what they come out with next, while still meeting there bottom line in terms of sales.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The poll question is kind of strange, because, of course, the 90D will be a DSLR. I mean, there are better chances that I win the next ten lottery jackpots in a row than that Canon names its 80D successor 90D... and makes that a mirrorless camera.

More broadly, will Canon make a EOS R style, enthusiast mirrorless APSC successor to the 80D -- as opposed to the M5?

I think eventually, but it won't come any time soon. While I think there would be a market for it, we'll come back to the same question that we spent months talking in circles about... what mount will it be?

I don't think there would be appetite to create another mount, and I'm not sure any of the existing mounts would be ideal for such a beast.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I agree that it will just be another boring minor upgrade.
It may have 4K video, but it will be heavily cropped. It seems this is Canon's way of protecting their cinema line.
They'll give you everything in video, c-log - focus assistance etc., except full-sensor 4K.

:rolleyes: So how do you think Canon should properly approach market segmentation? Hmmmmm? And do you really think this is all there is to differentiate the Cinema line from the ASP-c line? Wow. Just how much do you know about the cinema line and what features are offered in an ASP-C camera that could possibly threaten a $35,000 C700FF camera for somebody trying to make a serious purchase decision? Is there anything in an ASPC body running full sensor 4K that could possibly threaten the cinema line? Assuming, of course, that you could cool it.

Amazing. Just amazing.

Yeah, I know. Everything is "crippled" to protect everything else. BUt what is protecting the M5 from the new R?

Honestly, why not just make 1 camera with all the features at one low price instead of making things so complicated? (sarcasm)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
The 90D... Canon will be carefully positioning this camera, in line of their current mirrorless models. (Or, rather, they already have, as the design may already have been finalised !).:censored:

I own the 80D, and love it. It's a capable camera - suitable for a variety of uses and applications.
I see the 90D likely doing what the 80D did to the 70D, i.e. having 1 major feature upgrade, and a number of smaller additional features / refinements.
i.e., being a newer model / slight upgrade, without being a huge change to the basic recipe. Using the same battery. ~10% > photos per charge.
For the 80D, the major feature was optical AF (45 points) - and minor changes: e.g. intervalometer / timelapse, flicker detection, etc.

It may perhaps have one major / new additional feature that will be its "brochure highlight", but I don't know what that may be e.g. (e.g. radio triggering of Speedlites in camera, something I have asked for a long time in a DSLR body!) But if there is one major new feature/upgrade, it could be something else entirely. The 70D's big feature was of course the introduction of DPAF to Canon DSLRs. That was (and still is!) huge. :eek:(y)

Some of the minor features that I predict on the 90D may be more advanced DPAF (or algorithms thereof, as the 77D / 800D - though having the same sensor, are allegedly slightly better in live view than the 80D), 4k video (cropped) but with the same (or very similar photo FPS and optical AF capabilties). There may perhaps be a boost to video FPS, but not yet to 120fps @ full HD.

My opinion is that the 90D will have a Digic 8 processor (not Digic 7). Main reason is that the EOS M50 has a Digic 8 processor already. The xxD range has typically adopted the new sensors quickly.

Aspects I would LIKE (or love :love: ) to see changed / updated in the 90D
  • Better sensitivity / functionality of optical AF points (and DPAF) in low light, e.g. down to -3EV or... -4EV
  • Though I am quite happy with the 80D's sensor (it is vastly superior to e.g. my 7D), for the 90D to have further improved DR - even if just at the lowest few ISO values - would be greatly appreciated
  • ISO ranges extended from 50 to 51,200
  • Ability to use AF assist beam from Speedlites / transmitters in Live View / DPAF
    (however, seeing as even the EOS R doesn't have this capability, I am not holding my breath for that!)
  • An updated new "advanced all purpose" lens, e.g. a 15-85mm f/4 IS USM (or nano USM) - but I actually doubt this will happen
Let's see where the 90D delivers! Exciting times.

I have 2 Canon mirrorless cameras (M5 and M10) - both serve a great purpose.. so we'll see where Canon goes in mirrorless too.

PJ

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It may have 4K video, but it will be heavily cropped. It seems this is Canon's way of protecting their cinema line.
They'll give you everything in video, c-log - focus assistance etc., except full-sensor 4K.
Honestly, why not just make 1 camera with all the features at one low price instead of making things so complicated? (sarcasm)
I really wish people would stop with the whole "protecting the cinema line" garbage. I mean, whether it's the 6 o'clock news or Tokyo 2020, these things are not going to be recorded for broadcast on a 90D, 5D, R, M or whatever ILC -- any more than they will be recordedfor broadcast on a Sony A7 or 6300. It just isn't going to happen. Canon doesn't need to protect their cinema line, because it's a totally different market.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I really wish people would stop with the whole "protecting the cinema line" garbage. I mean, whether it's the 6 o'clock news or Tokyo 2020, these things are not going to be recorded for broadcast on a 90D, 5D, R, M or whatever ILC -- any more than they will be recordedfor broadcast on a Sony A7 or 6300. It just isn't going to happen. Canon doesn't need to protect their cinema line, because it's a totally different market.

Yes, a totally different market. But, you know, there HAS to be a conspiracy of some sort. Canon, after all, is a devious company always crippling their cameras in one way or another to protect another camera even though they do make money whenever they sell a camera, no matter what camera it is, but of course, that is too straightforward and not conspitatorial enough for the clever minds of forum dwellers who can't be fooled by facts or reason.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Yes, a totally different market. But, you know, there HAS to be a conspiracy of some sort. Canon, after all, is a devious company always crippling their cameras in one way or another to protect another camera even though they do make money whenever they sell a camera, no matter what camera it is, but of course, that is too straightforward and not conspitatorial enough for the clever minds of forum dwellers who can't be fooled by facts or reason.
Yea I feel you, it's just that alot of people want the biggest and baddest specs but don't want to pay for the quality it comes in, there cinema line is professorial equipment that produces value but every one wants there hands on with out putting in the work or money into it, which why people complain about it. I think it's important for canon to have those key differentiation to make sure people know what there getting into and help the industry keep the divided between amateur and professionals.

Upvote 0
The 90D... Canon will be carefully positioning this camera, in line of their current mirrorless models. (Or, rather, they already have, as the design may already have been finalised !).:censored:

My opinion is that the 90D will have a Digic 8 processor (not Digic 7). Main reason is that the EOS M50 has a Digic 8 processor already. The xxD range has typically adopted the new sensors quickly.

Aspects I would LIKE (or love :love: ) to see changed / updated in the 90D

PJ

Hi PJ, I think you made amazing points and ye I agree that they might not add 120fps at hull hd, I would love to see but I think that's me dreaming to hard. Though all those features are nice add ons that will help elevate the camera to help bring content creators more value like having better ISO capabilities and having those focus assist for speed lights well help make a more over all camera. You made a good point that there probably going to the Digic 8 processor I didn't see hat way but it will help them keep making them more of beast and make a better sensor I can't wait to see what they come out with.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon makes incremental changes to new camera models, and are not going to change the policy that has worked for them since the AE-1 came out. They emphasize low cost reliable cameras that are competitive but do not have every possible frill or fancy feature. Thats not going to change, they are gaininng more market share every day so they do what has been proven to work. Very conservative!

Upvote 0
I do not understand the intense interest in a cheap, mirrorless camera! No moving parts = CHEAP to produce. No weight = no stability! I know, Image Stabilization... does that mean we don't need tripods any more? I think not. I have an iPhone but I also want a REAL Camera!! My 40D's were awesome (at the time) loved the weight and the quality! I had battery grips for added weight/stability - LOVED Them!! I'm not so into light-weight cheap #$%^&!! Seriously, I played around with an 80D at Best Buy the other day. Feels like a toy. Just sayin'

Upvote 0